Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Xmas 06 in Germany The Romantic Road-what to do besides Xmas market? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/xmas-06-in-germany-the-romantic-road-what-to-do-besides-xmas-market-647952/)

firedrago Sep 20th, 2006 08:55 PM

Xmas 06 in Germany The Romantic Road-what to do besides Xmas market?

Hi

Can anyone shed some lights on spending Xmas and NewYear in Germany. We were thinking The Romantic Road, Munich, Nuremberg, Fussen, Rothenburg and Salzburg. We have about 10 days.

Currently, my friend is cosideraing New York for the Xmas while I am more tilt towards the Romantic Road. Heard there will be Xmas markets all over the places and I have not been to any Xmas market before.

Appreciate input.

noe847 Sep 20th, 2006 10:24 PM

There has been lots on this forum - very recently AND in the past - on this very question. Put "Christmas" in the left search box, with and without "Germany" selected from the right box, and you will find lots of information.

That being said, I think that you have a few too many places listed for a 10 day trip. But you could make a nice 10 day itinerary in the region. I'd plan to be in either Munich or Salzburg for the actual holidays as everything closes in smaller towns - and most things close in larger ones.

Lostmymind Sep 21st, 2006 03:05 AM

I did Germany last Christmas and i will be there again this year.
I went to Munich, Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne and a few cities outside of Germany.

It was the most amazing experience, the markets are magical, Munich was my favorite, families drinking mulled wine strolling the streets.

I also spent two days in Salzburg and I fell in love with the city. Its a very short trip from Munich.

Many markets have ice skating rinks set up.

I love this trip so much that I booked a similar trip for a longer period this year. I will land in Milan and work my way up to Amsterdam through Germany.

firedrago Sep 21st, 2006 09:25 PM

Hi

Thanks for the reply. much appreciated

Do you have any idea when and what time the Xmas market close in Munich and Salzburg? 23rd or 24th Dec 06? I check on the websites on Munich market and one was saying till 24th Dec 2pm and another said 23rd Dec 8.30pm.

e_yo Sep 21st, 2006 10:33 PM

Gotta disagree on some of the advice. We go to Germany every few years during Christmas vacation and have hit most of the towns and markets--If you are going to hit two places on your list, the definite places to hit are Nuremburg and Salzburg.

Munich's Christmas market is pretty small and not so impressive.

Rothenburg's market is small too, but the town itself is pretty cool in the snow (if it snows). If you haven't been to Rothenburg before, it is worth hitting just for the novelty of the town, but if you have been there, it isn't that much different at Christmas. (Warning though - very touristy, but fun if you don't get hung up on that.)

Having made my Germany/Austria rounds in Christmas, I can highly recommend the following plan: Go to Salzburg and Nuremburg, each for half the time in either order. Then use them as a base for traveling around each area.

The Nuremburg Christmas market is the best in Germany, but even with that you can only spend a few hours there at a time. If you use it as a base, you can go to the market in the morning and evening to get Christmas goodies and soak up the atmosphere. Then during the day, you can explore other nearby places.

The Nuremburg market is in the old town which is cool to explore, but you can also hop a train (from walking distance of the Nuremburg market) to Munich for the day. That market is a 1/2 hour activity, but the town is fun to explore. You can also catch the Nuremburg subway to the airport for a rental car and head out to Rothenburg in a couple of hours.

Salzburg is great at Christmas too. It has a decent market and lots of fabulous churches. With the snow and lights it is very Christmassy. You can also walk around in the hills to get a serious snow fix. Berchesgaden is a short, very beautiful drive away and kinda cute.

Most things are closed on Christmas Eve evening and early Day, but just buy some stuff ahead and celebrate in your room.

BTW, the Nuremburg market is open until around noon, Christmas Eve.

Hope this helps. I can give more specifics if you want them.

Lostmymind Sep 23rd, 2006 07:54 PM

I dont know e_yo, I was in both Munich and Salzburg last year and I thought Munich's Christmas market were about the same size.
I love them both they are on my list this year.

logos999 Sep 24th, 2006 12:10 AM

>Munich's Christmas market
There are several christmas markets in town. Tourist most of the time only go downtown or to Schwabings market.

firedrago Sep 24th, 2006 10:57 PM

Thanks to all for your view.

We will go to both places, i.e. Munich and Salzburg and plan to go to Fussen.

Is Fussen in between Munich and Salzburg?

Felly Sep 25th, 2006 06:21 AM

Fussen is about two hours directly south of Munich and Salzburg is about two hours east of Munich, so no, not in between. If you're based in Munich, you can take day trips to both and return to Munich each evening.

firedrago Sep 25th, 2006 09:59 PM

Thank you Felly and also to everyone replying on this message

Will work on detailed itinenary now

cheerz

weber6560 Sep 27th, 2006 11:42 AM

don't overlook the markets in the smaller towns. they have a completely different feel from the larger cities. More like a reunion or a county fair. A great many people know each other and it is fun to watch them renew friendships. My favorites in this category are Bad Wimpfen and Michelstadt.

fnyjnk Sep 27th, 2006 06:55 PM

When I did a bunch of Christmas markets a number of years ago, I thought all were good except Regensburg. Nurenburg is always the best in my book; Munich and Salzburg are close seconds. It hadn't opened yet in Rothenburg but looked like fun ... even because Rothenburg is a fun place to visit. But my favorite city of all to visit is Salzburg. I've spent as little as 5 hours there up to several days and never get bored. Just walking the streets (even outside the tourist area) is fascinating. Last trip I walked the path on top of Möenchsberg ... wonderful views of the city and the mountains. You don't see the big mountains unless you get on the other side of the Möenchsberg, with the castle. Walk through the mountain tunnel at the end of Getriedegasse and marvel at the carving out of the mountain for a parking garage! There are several in town. Go to the puppet theatre .. pricey but well worth it. For cheap eats go to the bier stube at the Augustiner Kloster. In the basement hallway of the church, vendors sell all kinds of food to bring with to the bier hall for supper. It's great!

Do your own Sound of Music tour. You can probably find the names of all the locations used in the movie and see them on your own ... or take a tour, bus or horse & buggy.

Salzburg is a great base to go out from. I took a train to Zell am See, took the cable car up the ski mountain and down again, shopped in town and still back early in the evening to stroll the streets of Salzburg. The salt mines are close by as is the Silent Night church. Berchesgaden and Hitler's Eagles Nest is close. Last trip I took a bus out to Mondsee to visit the church used for the wedding scene in SOM.

I love Salzburg! Always find a way to at least step foot in town when I'm in Europe! Let its magic just carry you away ... enjoy! I'll be there the end of January!

firedrago Sep 28th, 2006 01:22 AM

Thank you fnyjnk for the tips on Salzburg. We will put up a night in Salzburg in accordance with my plan now.