Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Farandwidefiasco Link - says the site is closed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:29 PM
db

Other posters on here have recommended the farandwide fiasco site but the website says its closed - have i got the wrong web address- please help! thanks. It sounded interesting.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Paule

Same thing happened to me; I got to the site, but it says it's closed. Anyone know what happened?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:36 PM
shh

If you want to discuss this, I suggest you start a new thread without mentioning the company by name. I suspect there are legal problems. This would explain both the site's abrupt closure, and Fodor's deleting threads that referred to the site.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Not a lawyer

I'm guessing there was a settlement which included an agreement to take down the site. BTW the threads have not been removed from Fodors.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:04 PM
s.fowler

There are still 2 threads which show up on a search for "farandwidefiasco".

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Paule

Darn, and I wanted to find out what happened...anyone want to tell under a neutral-sounding topic?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:54 PM
mile

Basictly it was making public a very<BR>commom problem with any tour operator<BR>they clain to be the best and have the best hotel selection, but after you paid and you're in their hands, your toasted. Hotels are cheap and not what<BR>you paid for, or location is so far from<BR>city centers that you pay a fortune in taxis. Sad but true and the american <BR>customers are taken by fools.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Anne

It was a trip report explaining the problems they had with the tour. Including pictures of the extremely cramped bus (tour director was 5'3", but when she sat in the seat, her knees hit the seat in front of her (that wasn't reclined). They had to sit sideways with their legs in the aisle to fit in the seats (no, they weren't extraordinarily tall or fat...the seats were just cramped). They apparently spent many many many more hours on the bus than they were told, pulling into cities as they were closing up for th enight. Had a picture of their "Italian" meal in Venice... imagine school lunch turkey with gravy and old green peas. They stayed in Mestre instead of Venice. Lots of stuff like that. Very well written, didn't rant and rave, just told the facts and included pictures. Gave the company credit for trying to make things right, but apparently when they tried to get a refund based on the "satisfaction guaranteed" line in the brochure, didn't get it. They did end up leaving the tour early, as I recall. Sounds like a nightmare! Would sure scare me away from that tour company (ok...probably any tour company!)<BR><BR>Anne

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Sue

Found these postings when looking for information about a Far & Wide trip we're thinking about taking. My husband is pretty tall. It sounds like we might need to look at another company. Does anyone else have any recommendations about Far & Wide Tours and their France to Italy trip?