Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > WW II Arnhem - how to go from Museum to Cemetery
Notices

WW II Arnhem - how to go from Museum to Cemetery

Oct 18th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

WW II Arnhem - how to go from Museum to Cemetery

We'll be visiting "A Bridge Too Far" sights near Arnhem in November.

I know which bus to take from Arnhem Train Station to the Airborne Museum. What I can't find is how to get from the Airborne Museum to the Allied Cemetery, and from there back to the Train Station.

It's too far to walk for my British veteran father-in-law, and there are one too many of us for a taxi.

I've emailed the Museum but have received no reply.

Thanks so much.
Oct 19th, 2011, 02:04 AM

Timing is everything to minimise walking for this - you need to get the 86 bus towards Arnhem, get off at the Gemeentehuis (Town Hall) in Oosterbeek, and then get the #1 bus to Oosterbeek station. From there it is a short walk to the cemetery.
There is also a buurtbus (local bus, usually a minibus), the 589 which goes straight to the station. But that doesn't run very frequently.

If you go to http://journeyplanner.9292.nl and fill in the address for the airborne museum, and Van Limburg Stirumweg (which is the road the cemetery is on) you can see the timings of the buses.

Alternatively see if you can book a minibus taxi to take you all, if you are too many for a single cab. It may cost a bit more, but make it easier on your father-in-law.
Oct 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Wow, what a detailed and fast answer.

hetismij2 - you're great!! Thanks so much.
Oct 20th, 2011, 01:40 AM

A cab IMHO really is the best option. If you are one too many for a regular cab, either take two or request a larger one.

It's just a mile from the museum to the cemetery, going by bus is a bit of a hassle with changing lines and all. The buurtbus is a good alternative. It runs hourly, monday to saturday from 8AM to 8PM. Stops at Hartensteyn scheduled at 13 minutes past the hour.

Search this Thread