Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wurzburg Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wurzburg-questions-848510/)

ruthruthruth Jul 7th, 2010 06:10 PM

Wurzburg Questions

Hello. I was wondering if anybody could tell me where the river cruise ships (Viking, Avalon, and the like - NOT the KD line) stop in Wurzburg. I'm hoping it's near the Alte Brucke, but I really have no clue. Also, is there a castle in Wurzburg? I know the Bishop's Residenz is there (I think, anyway!), but is there also a castle? Is it possible to reach it by taking a bus? I won't have a car, and am not up to walking terribly far uphill!

kfusto Jul 8th, 2010 01:32 AM

We docked within an easy walk to the Alte Brucke, about 20 minutes. The Residenz is in the center, so no hills, and is quite beautiful.

There are buses but we walked everywhere.

quokka Jul 8th, 2010 01:58 AM

There is a castle, fortress Marienberg on the hill opposite the old town: http://www.wuerzburg.de/en/tourisman...arienberg.html
Surf a bit on that website and you will find a lot more tips about the city, what to do and see there.

tvlirish Jul 8th, 2010 10:08 AM

I will be there on the 21st & can't wait.AMA Waterways is the BEST!!

iris1745 Jul 8th, 2010 10:13 AM

Hi; General information Wurzburg. Richard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/wurzburg

ruthruthruth Jul 8th, 2010 11:09 AM

A bit off-topic, but curious: I will be in Wurzburg, as well as Rudesheim, plus a couple towns along the Moselle, in very late August. What will the vineyards on the hills look like then? Will they just be patterned hills, or will there be something growing?

bettyk Jul 8th, 2010 11:16 AM

Since the grapes are usually harvested in September, you should see alot of not quite ripe grapes hanging on those vines.

logos999 Jul 8th, 2010 04:23 PM

Wurzburg = Würzburg
Rudesheim = Rüdesheim
Moselle = Mosel

color = green

logos999 Jul 8th, 2010 04:32 PM

Don't eat grapes, wine only. Sour.

Maggi Jul 8th, 2010 07:29 PM

Logos, how did you type the umlaut? I write my relatives in Germany and can't do it on my keyboard.

logos999 Jul 8th, 2010 08:01 PM

Well, Maggi, on my keyboard the "ü" is on the right side of "p", "ö" and "ä" are next to "l". If you can't type it, mark it and use ctrl + "c" to copy and ctrl + "v" to insert. You can always substitute "ä" with "ae", "ö" with "oe" and "ü" with ue. But omitting the umlaut is terribly wrong and looks really odd to a German, almost insulting if you could do better. Those are completely different letters in German.

logos999 Jul 8th, 2010 08:05 PM

If you can't figure it out, use

* right ALT key + q = ä
* right ALT key + Shift + q = Ä
* right ALT key + y = ü
* right ALT key + Shift + y = Ü
* right ALT key + p = ö
* right ALT key + Shift + p = Ö
* right ALT key + s = ß
* right ALT key + 5 = €

logos999 Jul 8th, 2010 08:26 PM

There's also someone who says he posts from Austria on the forum, but actually doesn't know the place he says he lives in is spelled with an Umlaut and doesn't use the Umlaut. For me, that is quite suspicious. It's ablsolutly impossible not to know how the place is spelled properly, if you live there. :-)

logos999 Jul 8th, 2010 09:00 PM

It's also very ulikely native German speakers will make mistakes with umlauts. The common mistakes are "i" vs "ie", "t" vs "d" and a few more. o,ö,u,ü,a,ä not just look different but also sound VERY different from eachother. It's not a thing a German could do wrong, while yes, there are always problems with "t" and "d" :-). So many people today write "Standart" instead of "Standard" which is correct. I don't know where they get the idea...

Mainhattengirl Jul 8th, 2010 09:28 PM

The walk up the hill to the Fortress I found to be pretty strenuous, and I am in fairly good shape. The view is wonderful though. Perhaps take a taxi to the top. They don't do any tours in English though, so we just walked around, trying to figure out what we were looking at from the plan they gave us.

Würzburg is very walkable, but you can take trams and buses. The Residence is amazingly extravagent, and fascinating too. Do take the English tour so that you can see all of it, as with-out the tour, you only get to see half of it.

Maggi Jul 9th, 2010 03:49 AM

Logos, starting a new topic on the umlaut, so as not to hijack this thread.

ruthruthruth Jul 9th, 2010 05:54 AM

Ah, ich bin ein esel - ich habe Rudesheim mispelled..und auch esel,perhaps! Anyway, I was able to find an "o" with an umlaut and a "u" with an umlaut under the insert symbols function in Word. Whether I can do this when replying to Fodors questions, though, is still questionable! Anyway, I apologize for the mispellings and lack of umlauts above.

Maggi, I'll check out your umlaut thread next.

However, one comment leads to another question, Logos:

Do the French call the Mosel the Moselle, or is that just how a lot of Americans spell it? I know there are a lot of "Americanized" spellings....Koln vs Cologne comes to mind!

betty - thanks for the info on grapes. I don't live in wine country, and have only been to California wine country, so I was curious what the vineyards would look like.

Mainhatten - thanks. I read that it was a 20 minute walk, but that seemed a little strenuous, except perhaps for the backpack crowd, of which I'm no longer a member. Viking takes us on a tour of the Residenz, so yes, I'll be seeing that.

Maggi Jul 9th, 2010 06:17 AM

Ruth, you are NOT an Esel. (Caps for all nouns :-) ) Have a great time in Würzburg! I have visited my niece there and it is absolutely beautiful. Have a radler (a huge glass of beer/lemonade or Sprite type beverage). Sounds gross, but actually quite refreshing!

ruthruthruth Jul 9th, 2010 11:34 AM

Well, I just had to use that childhood expression of "Du bist ein Esel." I think it was the first thing I learned when I moved to Germany as a third-grader. We thought it was pretty funny back then! We were only there 4 years (my father was in the State Department; lived in Bad Godesberg/Bonn) but ever since, I've loved Germany. I'm really looking forward to going back with my husband in late August. Our river cruise includes a trip down the middle Rhine, plus Prague and Luxembourg, which sound wonderful to me, along with (believe it or not) Rüdesheim.