Wurzburg or Rothenburg to stay?

Nov 17th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Wurzburg or Rothenburg to stay?

Hi all, Looks like we will spend 3 nights in Salzburg, then have 3 nights before our morning flight out of Frankfurt/home. I'm thinking we'd like to stay in either Rothenburg (burg-colmberg has been recommended and looks wonderful) or Wurzburg to spend those last 2 or 3 days. Two questions, one is which town is best to stay in as a base to explore surrounding areas; and two, do we need to spend the night before our flight in Frankfurt (it's a 9:45 flight) or are either of these cities close enough to get to the airport from them?
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:48 AM

I would recommend to stay at the Romantic Road. Colmberg might be a base, consider also the Greifen-Post in Feuchtwangen. Location is somewhat better, in IMO it is the better hotel

www.hotel-greifen.de

Anyway, from there you can easily make a daytrip to Würzburg to visit the Residenz.

I would strongly suggest not to drive from there to the Airport. You will have to leave too early.

Better spend the last night in an airport hotel. You may check in the evening before, return your rental car and have a good night. On the way to Frankfurt, you might stop to visit Würzburg.
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM
ira

Hi F,

Is your flight at 09:45 or at 21:45?

Nov 17th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Rothenburg is way too far out for a last night before flying from FRA. Würzburg is also too far IMO. From Würzburg you will have to drive through the hills, known as the Spessart, on the winding A3.

I recommend that you check in your car in Aschaffenburg the day before your flight. Stay at the Aschaffenburger Hof hotel http://tinyurl.com/2b83wa. It has a good restaurant and there are others nearby. E.g. try the Schloss cellar or the Bavaria.

The train station is a block away. Either take a taxi (~half an hour) or the train (allow ~ an hour or more) to FRA via Frankfurt Hbf.
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Wurzburg is within an hour and a half drive to Frankfurt airport and Rothenburg another 45 minutes further.
I've stayed at two great B&Bs in Rothenburg - one inside the town walls (www.froehlich-rothenburg.de)and one just outside the walls (www.haus-karin.de)
Rothenburg is a tourist town and I'm a tourist so I loved it.
Wurzburg Residenz is beautiful. It is closer to the airport...but I really liked staying in Rothenburg.
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:44 AM

>Wurzburg is within an hour and a half drive to Frankfurt airport and Rothenburg another 45 minutes further

...if there is no traffic jam on the A3. Unless you leave on a Sunday, though, you can be 99% sure that there WILL be traffic jams on the A3 in the morning. I would not risk that.
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Why not spend the last night in Heidelberg?

There are direct buses and trains (1 hour trip) to the airport.
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM

I would spend two nights Rothenburg and drive into Wurzburg and see the Residenz...then drive on to Mainz to spend the night. They have a Novotel hotel that provides transportation to the airport...if you want to turn in the car first to save time
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great suggestions all! Lots to think about....

Search this Thread