Wurzburg, Bamberg or Regensburg?

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 08:31 AM
Alejandro David

Wurzburg, Bamberg or Regensburg?

I am looking for a lovely medieval town (not bombed in WWII) which is close to the Czech Republic and which is not very touristy? Which town would you choose from my selection? Does anybody have any other selection?

I appreciate any response.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 09:49 AM
Maira

My husband and I stopped at Landshut on our way to the Czech border. Their medieval town square is a very lively place, not partcularly touristy. If I recalled correctly, they have a very popular staged medieval tournament every year (July?) and the town goes beserk. I loved Landshut and wish we could had stayed there longer. Instead we stayed at Furth i. Bald, a German town very conveniently located two minutes from the Czech border (which we crossed very early the next day). Write me directly if you'll like details.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 01:32 PM
Al

Bamberg suffered no damage during World War II and is a particularly good town to see on foot. Be sure to try the town's specialty: rauchbier. It is a smoked beer that "does not travel well" and so is only found in the immediate area around Bamberg. Wurzburg suffered terrible destruction, but has been rebuilt. Especially worthwhile is the Residenz of the Prince-Bishops of Franconia with its double-staircase and marvelous frescoed ceiling painted by Tiepolo.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 04:15 PM
kay

Both Wurzberg and Bamberg are delights. As Al said, only Bamberg was not bombed. Neither one is particularly touristy and they both have treasure troves of unique architecture. I've not been to Regensburg but have read others' comments in this forum who have liked it a lot. It would be very hard for me to pick between W and B because they are my two favorite small places in Germany (as opposed to big ones, like Berlin). You couldn't go wrong with either one. In fact, I wish I were going back tomorrow!