Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   wrong time for Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wrong-time-for-venice-528170/)

bwyser May 11th, 2005 12:17 AM

wrong time for Venice?

I'll be brief. My wife and I are very interested in visiting Venice and possible other surrounding areas. We are only able to get away for the first two weeks of November. Is this a bad time to visit that region? Days too short? Too cold to appreciate beauty?

Any opinions, thoughts, or advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Intrepid1 May 11th, 2005 03:25 AM

Given the Venice location you can expect a damp cold..but how cold or "too cold to appreciate beauty" is another matter.

Be aware that there are PALM TREES in Venice...they greet you at the traion station..so the climate is moderate in many ways.

It won't be mobbed with visitors and that is a good thing because IMO there is absolutely nothing more magical than being in San Marco in the evening after the others have gone.

I suspect hotel rates would be cheaper, too. If I could do it I would.

ira May 11th, 2005 03:40 AM

Hi bw,

There is never a bad time to see Venice.

((I))

Fairhope May 11th, 2005 04:03 AM

Went last year at Th'g-late Nov. Rain came down and tide came up in the morning, afternoon was fine---and we still loved Venice and would go at that time of year again. Just go to Venice !!

nytraveler May 11th, 2005 04:41 AM

How cold is too cold depends on you. Are you from Florida or Arizona? Do you start puting on winter coats if the temps go below 60?

It never gets really cold (below freezing) in Venice - although it can be very damp. And in November it might well be in the 50's during the day.

TorontoSteven May 11th, 2005 05:27 AM

I have been there in late November - early December. You will get fog, high water and some rain. But the afternoon's warm up nicely. It was a great time to be there. Not overrun with tourists, the locals seem more relaxed, the opera season has just started. All in all, a really nice time to go.

NYCFoodSnob May 11th, 2005 06:39 AM

Any Venetian will tell you November is the riskiest month to visit Venice. If you're one of the few who enjoy being cold and wet, then go for it.

sandi_travelnut May 11th, 2005 06:41 AM

If you've never been and don't know when you'll be back then take the time to see it regardless of the weather.

HowardR May 11th, 2005 06:45 AM

We were there in late November a few years ago and loved it. We were neither cold nor wet! Sure, it was a little chilly, but still leather jacket weather. We had no rain.

Intrepid1 May 11th, 2005 06:49 AM

I have the perfect answer: take NYC FoodSnob along with you and use that person as an umbrella in case it rains.

bwyser May 11th, 2005 08:42 AM

Thank you all so much for the comments. Thats it... no second thoughts, we're going.

cjtrav May 11th, 2005 08:50 AM

We were there in early November a few years ago and it was perfect. Light jackets for the evening and no rain, blue skies. My pictures were incredible! I agree, Venice would be beautiful any time!

ThinGorjus May 11th, 2005 09:04 AM

Snobby doesn't like Venice in November because she is terrified of getting her Saucony trainers wet. Also, by carrying around an umbrella, people wouldn't be able to see her and, therefore, not be able to see that she is a "person of high quality." And what would hapeen if Snobby went into Pauly dripping wet and disheveled?? The shopgirls would think she was riff-raff on a package holiday. THAT would never do. :)

NYCFoodSnob May 11th, 2005 09:56 AM

<i>&quot;The shopgirls would think she was riff-raff on a package holiday.&quot;</i>

Well, I'm not 22 anymore. Even Diane Keaton chose &quot;how wet&quot; to get in her rainstorm scene in &quot;Something's Got to Give.&quot; Her thin (wet) hair was very carefully placed. Why shouldn't all women over 40 be permitted this privilege?

Frankly, send me a First Class ticket and I'd be more than happy to be someone's umbrella (as long as they enjoy good food).

elaine May 11th, 2005 10:11 AM

November isn't optimal for most places in the northern hemisphere.
That said, I agree 100% with ira.

Tiff May 11th, 2005 10:35 AM

Hi Bwyser,

Unless it is truly a situation that could be unsafe (like the Caribbean during hurricane season) I think that this is mainly a disposition question... Some people could have 75 degree, not a cloud in the sky, perfect weather and still find something to moan about. Others, could be dashing through the rain to share a coffee with a loved one, and only feel the splendor of such a magical city.

By your posts, my guess is that you are among the latter, go, enjoy, and rejoice that you have had the opportunity! That is what we're doing.

Best wishes for your adventure! T. :S-