Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wow! I won't do that again! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wow-i-wont-do-that-again-1120080/)

Pegontheroad Jul 20th, 2016 08:09 AM

Wow! I won't do that again!

I had 120 Polish zlotys when I left Warsaw. It was burning a hole in my wallet, and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I was able to trade it in when I was in Wernigerode. The bank gave me 18 eros for my zlotys. When I checked today, I saw that according to the exchange, it was worth 27 euros. What a ripoff!

I know banks have to make a profit, and zlotys are not a currency that everyone wants, but I wasn't happy about getting so little for my zlotys.

If I'd been thinking, I'd have dropped it off at a church before I left Warsaw or at least have given it to one of the helpful receptionists at my hotel or even to a passing stranger.

Last time I was in Warsaw, I saw a couple of nuns at the airport, and I gave them my zlotys. I figured they wouldn't spend it on drugs.

Christina Jul 20th, 2016 08:23 AM

I just left Poland and had a lot of zlotys also. With euro, I just keep it and want extra as I know I'll go again next year -- wasn't sure when I'll be in Poland again, so figured better to take a cut than keep it for years.

I left by plane and don't think there was even an exchange booth in the airport, which I expected--at least I would have checked their rates. So I traded it in in Paris at a place I know where exchange rates are not as bad as airports. Figured I'd get a better rate in Europe than in the US. I wasn't up to the day with latest exchange rates (especially zloty versus euro), but it didn't sound too bad. Amazingly, it appears I got near bank rate.

I got about 21 euro for 100 zloty, and according to oanda.com the rate on the date I did it was 22 euro for 100 zloty, so that's only about a 5 pct loss (there were no other fees). not bad, as I had 500 zloty

Whathello Jul 20th, 2016 08:32 AM

Giving currencies to caritative associations is great.
I usually spend what remains in my wallet in sodas, books or gifts at the airport.
Not zlotys since I go every year at least once to Poland.

Pegontheroad Jul 20th, 2016 11:24 AM

I was in Poland last year but hadn't decided to go again by the time I left.

I always save my euros, of course. This year, I had 500 years left over from last year, so that was nice. After this year's stay, I have only 70-some euros left over. Better than nothing.

colduphere Jul 20th, 2016 11:38 AM

Peg I have exactly 120 Zlotys in my wallet after our trip in March. I stare at them every day. Some days I pull them out as a conversation starter with store clerks.

I look like a lonely person searching for a friend.

Hobbert Jul 20th, 2016 11:40 AM

I squirrel away euros and Icelandic krónur- everything else gets spent on weird little things at the airport. I've noticed more airports seem to have donation boxes, though, which is nice.

August2015 Jul 20th, 2016 01:34 PM

I kept my Danish Krone and Swedish Krona for the same reasons.