Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

WOW-Fodor's just changed the Home Page!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 10:30 AM
MaryC

I was there about an hour ago and it was the same - clicked on it just now and it's an entirely new format! I like!!

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Rex

Yes, nice alert, Mary.<BR><BR>And Travel Talk europe gets an ever more prominent location!<BR><BR>By the way, I assume you have seen the Galicia-to-Bretagne post? Are you still on for France this spring? Got a fall trip in ya?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 09:56 PM

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 02:47 AM
s.fowler

And it crashed my netscape<BR>Now we know, I think, why the fodor censors have been otherwisely occupied...

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Rex

Really?<BR><BR>I hate the fact that little by little I have been converted to an MSIE user just about all the time.<BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:50 AM
ProgrammerIT

Message to Rex: You know why MSIE interface is more popular??? It loads faster on windows environments than netscape because it uses components aready in windows operating system. However, Netscape must load everything it needs everytime you start it. This can be minor performance issue on computer systems low on RAM. However, netscape had a lot of popularity at one time, sort of sad how it is disappearing.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Rex

And the indexing has been updated again. Thank you Fodors. Now good up through March 24, I think.<BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 01:52 PM
MaryC

No Rex, hadn't seen the Galicia-to-Bretagne post yet. Is that the title of it? I haven't been as active on here of late, but plan to be on some tonight. Yes, still going to Paris in 2 weeks (4 days only - wah); no fall trips this year, dude. Sorry. <BR><BR>BUT NEXT YEAR, Fall 2003, I DO plan to go to Italy (Tuscany and Florence) for about 10 days and am looking to stay at the Villa Vignamaggio, the setting for Kenneth Branagh's wonderful version of "Much Ado about Nothing" (my KIDS even love this movie). Also, it is supposedly the birthplace of the Mona Lisa. Extra bonus!! It doesn't look expensive AT ALL. It's looking to be around $65-$100 per person per night (provided one shares a room with someone else). Interested, Rex?<BR><BR><BR>Hello Sally FLOWer! Fodor's is otherwisely occupied instead of wisely occupied, eh?? : )<BR><BR><BR>Programmer, very interesting info. The things I learn on Fodors!!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Rex

Villa Vignamaggio in fall 2003 huh? Hmmmm... could be tempting. Are you talking about an actual small group ("Fodorites" +/ any others) trip - - or just a few people. In my head a Fodorites' trip DOES involve staying in a villa - - but not a place like Villa Vignamaggio - - which I think is much more like staying in a hotel.<BR><BR>I think that the comments about staying there (on this forum) are all over the map - - people who absolutely loved it on one hand to others who have remarked that it is impossible to actually get in there. (Havne't heard any one slam it who has stayed there). I did some internet searching about it a year or so ago, and it seemed like there wee a lot of celebrity events there (perhaps these are only a day or two - - perhaps more). And it makes me wonder when (and why) do they open it at affordable rates to the general public - - if it's a high cachet place that Hollywood types like to entertain? So I don't have a negative impression about it - - just puzzled.<BR><BR>And I do have this fear that it might not have the same magic as the movei does. Same impression in our fairly as you have. Beloved by everyone. There were auditions two years ago in a local community theatre to do "Much Ado" and I actually had the notion to try out for the role of Leonato (the father) - - but I didn't go through with it. I think it would be really cool to play it. Even cooler to have Villa Vignamaggio as a venue for a private little performance!<BR><BR>This makes no sense to have this as the segue to a segue on this thread... but oh well, who cares?<BR><BR>BTW, the Galicia to Bretagne thread is http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=2&tid=1336953 - - or easy to find by just searching Galicia (but easier still just using the URL above, of course).<BR><BR>We should still try to have an Ohio (or Kentucky) Fodors GTG sometime this year.<BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:07 PM
kate

MaryC~<BR>counting down the days to Pareee~<BR>do we have all our lists ready? enough chocolate sources? <BR>packed yet? I would love love love to be going to Paris now~

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:20 PM
MaryC

Rexy:<BR><BR>Segue to a segue? Since when do we care about following thread convention? ; ) I thank you for all of your comments re: Villa Vignamaggio. Perhaps at this early, early date we can get in?<BR><BR>I am going to Italy (Tuscany, Florence) next year with my sister and brother-in-law, regardless if anyone else out there is interested in coming along or not. However, if ANYONE wants to join us, NOW would be a good time to mention it. I invite you, Rex, because I appreciate your Italy expertise. Anyone may join, Fodorites or otherwise.<BR><BR>Am going to look for the Galicia thread now.<BR><BR>Kate dahling, countin' the days, savin' the money! No lists. None. No set itinerary - just a VERY broad idea of where we want to go (Tour Eiffel, Musee Marmottan, Angelina's, les Catacombs, shopping in the 8th). Except I do plan to take along a very dear friend's lists of recommendations that I shall keep tucked in moi handbag (which discretely includes chocolat sources). She's SUCH a dear. I think you might know her?? She's possibly a friend of Scarlett's, too. @-&gt;--&gt;---&gt;-----<BR><BR>Ciao!!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:21 PM
MaryC

Ooops, I think that's "discreetly". So very sorry. : )

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Scarlett

Someone called my name?<BR> You may use my lil ole name as indiscreetly as you wish,darlin Mary~<BR>I am sure that Paris will love you and take good care of you.Ooh la la, watch out Paree~ shopping,eating,drinking and just being there, why, that might even be good for a trip report???<BR>Some of us write them, you know, whether anyone wants to read them is another issue altogether<BR>The weather should be perfect in Paris pretty soon..don't you think?<BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:39 PM
MelanieHamilton

Darlin' Scarlett? Did little ol' you write a trip report? Between birthin' my babies, braving the Great Fire (and dare I say, the Yankees?), and buryin' carpetbaggers' bodies where DO YOU find the time?

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Scarlett

Hunny, you forgot that I can also whip up a lovely dress from those ole dusty drapes~<BR>Yes,a trip report- Scarlett went to Las Vegas..it was somethin I'll tell you! <BR>But not the same as Paris~sigh~

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:59 PM
G.O'H

Katie Scarlett, perhaps if you'd TOP your thread on the American board then people might be able to read it!<BR><BR>Now GO TO YOUR ROOM (to get on that computer to top that thread). And leave your mother's portieres alone.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:26 PM
scarlett

Oh fiddle dee dee, that ole trip report is dropping like a stone after someone already topped it.<BR>I guess when there has already been a book AND a movie about you, you cannot expect people to be that interested anymore....sigh~

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:36 PM
MelanieHamilton

But darling, people have been interested in you for 70 or so years!! Just re-top for me. That's a dear.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Rex

Paste the URL for the trip report here, and then anyone who reads this thread, can find that one.<BR><BR>I'd do it for you if I knew which trip report you'r talking about - - and frankly... if I gave a damn.<BR><BR><BR><BR>and <BR><BR>Best wishes...<BR><BR>ya'all<BR><BR>Rex<BR>