Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

wow - extra FF seats really do open up at the last minute!

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

I called Delta today to ask about a waitlist I was on for a more direct flight to Munich instead of MSP - JFK (8 hour layover) - CDG (4 hours) - MUN this Friday.

Maybe I lucked out with a great agent, but he looked into all sorts of options for me and found MSP - Amsterdam with a 45-minute layover and then onto Munich! Not only that, now I fly out of MSP at 3pm instead of 7am, which would have meant a 5am check-in.

I'm so excited I'm about to pass out. There was nothing even remotely close to this when I'd booked 7-8 months ago.

45-minutes is cutting it close, but there are quite a few additional flights that day if I happen to not make it, and I don't have to switch terminals.

Lesson: If you don't like your FF itinerary, keep calling back to check on other flights which may have opened up!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:40 PM

Congratulations, but your story brings up another point I'm curious about. I hear quite a few of these stories, and I do know that additional seats do open up along the line. But how many people who are "waitlisted" are actually called and offered different itineraries? I suspect very few. I have a sneaking suspicion that for the most part, if you don't keep calling, you'll never get one.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:52 PM

This gives me hope, as we are hoping to switch to better flights for our trip next week!

One question for you - did they charge you a $50 change fee? Or more?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I've been cleared on a waitlist before so I know they do contact you (or at least they contacted me.) My waitlisted flight on this trip still wasn't available, probably since it was through Atlanta and a Delta hub.

Yes, I had to pay a $50 change fee - totally worth every penny though!!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:37 PM

I have been called and cleared on a waitlist many times for United (Lihue/LAX which I used to take frequently.)
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM

On Continental, you can waitlist for another itinerary on FF ticket. And no fee associated with it.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 04:53 PM

I wasn't on a waitlist but a couple of years ago I was booked on an upgraded flight & had to go to London via San Juan to JFK to LHR.

When I got to the airport they put me on the direct flight to JFK without my even asking about it.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:45 PM

I spent a couple of hours on the phone Friday night with an agent at the partner desk for Delta trying to extend my return date for my trip in July. She was great and searched multiple airports and connection on a couple of different days. Unfortunately, she didn't find anything available but she waitlisted me on a couple of flights and also told me to keep calling because she said people change their itineraries all the time and additional seats open up all the time. I asked about fees and she said that if she had been able to help me, the fee would have been $50 per ticket; if I clear one of the waitlists, it will be no charge.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM

On Delta, you also don't have to pay if one of your waitlists clear. I believe you can waitlist up to 4 alternative itineraries (DL operated only). In this case, since it wasn't one of the waitlisted option(s) which became available, there's a fee for the change. Sometimes if one of your waitlists clear, you can simultaneously sneak in another change for free depending on the mood of the agent
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:07 AM

All of this ff talk confuses me! I don't want to highjack the thread, but I never heard of wait lists before. How does this work? I am flying from Charlotte to Tokyo in October with a layover in Chicago. I originally wanted to fly home from Osaka but there were no seats left so I have a roundtrip Tokyo flight. If I call back is it possible that flights from Osaka are now available? And if not I can be put on a waiting list?

nycgirl, congrats on your flight! Much much better!

Tracy
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

What airline? Yes, it's possible that leg will have opened up, and yes, they should be able to put you on a waitlist for the flight you want!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Tracy,
It would help if you tell us which airline's miles you're using as each ff program has its own rules.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Sorry about that! We are using AA miles. The flight from Charlotte to Chicago is with American and the flight from Chicago to Tokyo is Japan Airlines.

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Hi, all - just wanted to say that we, too, got MUCH better flights with our Delta FF tickets!!

Our original flight schedule was pretty awful. We were to leave from Atlanta at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow morning, fly to Boston, sit there for about six hours, then fly to Paris, then make a very tight connection to Athens.

nycgirl1 put the idea in our heads that we should be persistent about finding a better route. So, we've been calling about twice a day for the past week to see what else was available. A few FF seats opened up on a later CDG to Athens flight a couple of days ago, so we nabbed those and got Delta/Air France to waive the change fee because of the very tight connection on our original itinerary. Woohoo!

We also put ourselves on a waitlist for several different overseas flights, including a direct flight from ATL to CDG. We found out just this morning that my husband cleared the waitlist for that flight, but I did not. (We're on separate itineraries because we each used our own miles.)

So my husband - who has a knack for finding deals and charming Delta representatives into helping him out - called the airline and got them to put me on the flight as well. We don't have to pay a change fee because we were on the waitlist. In fact, we'll actually get a few dollars back because we have one less connection!

So, we went from about 24 hours of travel and two connections to about 16 hours and one connection - and not only did we not have to pay a fee, we're actually getting some money back. Persistance pays off!!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:28 PM

We did the same thing - booked a flight using FF miles with Delta and now instead of Boston to JFK to Paris to Rome to Florence we have direct Paris to Florence. We are also waitlisted on a better flight out of Paris on our return. It does work!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Yay, Meredith. For some reason, reading stories like that makes me very happy.