Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you stay near the station in Naples?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found a B&B with a 9.3 venere.com rating that sounds quite nice (Bonapace), but it's 20 meters from the Circumvesuviana train station and 200 meters from the main train station. If you were an older woman traveling alone, would you feel comfortable staying there? The address is Via San Cosmo fuori Porta Nolana 4.

Another option with a high rating is opposite the Botanical Gardens on Via Foria. How late would the buses run there?
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have learnt lately that often areas near train stations specially in ITaly are seedy. But I have no clue in Napoli, you are very nice in asking. I hope you get the right answer, be careful ....
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 01:13 PM

I am sure you are nice but I meant WISE....LOL
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Thursday:

Because I am guessing that you will receive negative responses to your query, I will post an alternative here; I have not stayed there but it does get excellent reviews:

http://www.hotelduomonapoli.it/

Old Dec 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Graziella and eks.

Way back when, I had to learn Latin, and there was a word for "a question expecting the answer no". I think this would have been an occasion to use it.

eks - the Duomo is on my possibles list, but it doesn't have AC (maybe not a problem in April, but...) and I have a fondness for B&Bs. I have turned up a place with 3 mini-apartments overlooking the harbor very close to the Piazza Municipio, but it is 69 euro, and I haven't found contact info for the owner other than through venere.com.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM

My friend and I, both in our mid-60s, stayed at that B&B (Bonapace, Via San Cosmo fuori Porta Nolana 4) in the spring of this year. It is not in a scary area and, in fact, was most convenient. The owner, Arrigo Jacobitti, is most helpful and everything is squeaky clean in the B&B (although, like most of Naples, the streets are another story!). His email address is [email protected]
and the website is: http://www.bonapaceaccomodation.com/

He recommended a restaurant for our evening meal, and it was so good that we went back the following evening.

You won't regret staying there. I'd stay there again, in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Eve! That's very encouraging. I'm also considering the Pulcinella, but that is further out, and the Dimora dei Giganti, which may be full for my dates.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 07:29 AM

One thing I forgot to mention, in case you can't manage stairs very well, there are quite a few to reach the B&B and no elevator. That whole area, Naples, Vesuvius, and so on, is a challenge to the legs!

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning! I just spent six nights on the top floor of La Calcina in Venice, so I expect I can cope with the B&B. I do need to start getting into shape for this trip, though....
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 07:55 AM

No, even travelling with DH. When we visited Naples last year I bought a large-scale street map (Touring Club Italiano, very useful indeed) & carefully researched the exact locations of all the hotels I looked at. I wanted to be on the edge of the centro storico but at the other end from the station, nearer the ferry port & the opera house and convenient for buses. I was very placed with the location of my choice, the Hotel Executive. Others I considered were mostly on or near via Toledo.

The Botanic Gardens were too far out for me.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Hi Thursday,

I visited Naples solo a couple years ago and took a taxi from the station to my hotel. I would NOT want to stay anywhere near the station. Regardless of how nice and clean the hotel might be inside, the streets outside for several blocks were unbelievable to me! Piles and piles of garbage and overflowing dumpsters, trash everywhere. I am not a fussy person and I loved what I saw of Naples, but I would not stay in that area.

My hotel was in the Chaia district, the Hotel Pinto Storey, a 3*. Great location, very nice hotel, reasonable price. 85E/night in Sept for a single, 2 yrs ago.

Buon viaggio!
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I stayed at : Grand Hotel Europa which is just around the corner in April. Terminal area is seedy but whats nice about this place is the Police Training School for officers is on the top floor <G>.
Great breakfast if you go away hungry its your own fault. Mid-rage price wise
double with in-room facilities 80e. TV,Hair dryer,Air all that stuff.
www.sea-hotels.com
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Update: I sent a request to the Bonapace, but the reply quoted a price 20 euro/night higher than I had expected. So... I have booked with L'Alloggio Dei Vassalli, which is actually very close to the Hotel Executive (at Via Donnalbina 56). The price is more than I was aiming for, but I think I'll prefer the location. I still have to decide where to stay for the one night before I fly out. I am very tempted by the Hotel Rex, on the waterfront, but that is higher still...
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 12:06 AM

thursdaysd, I don't remember seeing your hotel but it's very easy to get from Hotel Executive to the airport. The airport express bus only has two stops, one by the main railway station at piazza Garibaldi and one at piazza Municipio (for the port) - the Executive was only a 5 minute walk from the piazza Municipio stop. So, if your flight isn't so early that the bus is unlikely to be running, you could just check the times of buses back to the airport when you get there.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Caroline. I'll be arriving by plane and leaving by boat (for the Amalfi Coast) and then arriving by boat (from Sicily) and leaving by plane, so this is very helpful. I'm spending a couple of nights in London on the way home, so my flight out is at a very reasonable hour!
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Oh right, good. It's only about a 10 minute walk to/from the ferry port. Lucky you, going to several of my favourite places !