Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Would you recommend Venice for a honeymoon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/would-you-recommend-venice-for-a-honeymoon-182663/)

CarrieHines Mar 26th, 2002 10:43 AM

Would you recommend Venice for a honeymoon?

What is Venice like? Is it romantic on the gondola rides for a honeymoon? please help

ana Mar 26th, 2002 10:52 AM

Venice is enchanting. You don't know what romantic really is until you go there.<BR><BR>Go to St. Marks square, have a nice capucchino or gelatto, hear the music, see the pidgeons. Stroll and window shop.<BR><BR>Every single island has a church, each it's own special quality. There are art shows, music, etc. You can go to Murano, a small 1/2 hour away.<BR><BR>The gondola... smelly. But don't miss out on it. Try to hire them late afternoon, music, and take a bottle of wine.<BR><BR>Ana

Meredith Mar 26th, 2002 11:02 AM

Venice is awesome! But you're already in the right place...every place in Italy seems "romantic" to me...gondola ride or no gondola ride. What time of year are you going? When I was there, it was summer, but I think it would be a great place to go on a honeymoon anytime. As for the gondola rides, I couldn't afford one, and it also seemed kinda touristy. Maybe you and your husband should try to go later in the evening, like after dinner...the gondolas seemed to be more crowded in the afternoons. <BR>Another "romantic" alternative might be to find a secluded yet safe bridge (there are dozens to choose from) and watch the sun set. And don't believe a word about what anyone says concerning how the canals "stink". I could not smell anything when I was there except delicious seafood. <BR>Most of all, you should go because the beautiful city is sinking and likely won't be there forever. <BR>

xxx Mar 26th, 2002 11:06 AM

Yes, a gondola ride may be romantic if you´re alone with the gondoliere. Otherwise, there´s no privacy.

ana Mar 26th, 2002 11:08 AM

lol<BR><BR>Ana

elaine Mar 26th, 2002 11:17 AM

Hi<BR>When is the honeymoon?<BR>I've been to Venice in the early fall; I always read how very crowded it is in summer because of cruise boats and buses bringing in daytrippers in addition to it just being high travel season.<BR>Venice is my favorite place in the world and yet I'd hate to have you go and feel that it was too crowded and hectic.<BR>Are gondolas romantic? I don't think so particularly, but that's me. They are unique, but strictly for visitors and very expensive. Gondoliering is a business based on tourism. We all like to spend our money in different ways but I think many other aspects of Venice are more romantic, less contrived, and less expensive. Just a stroll home from a restaurant in the darkened streets, crossing small bridges and canals as you walk, can be very romantic imo. Even sipping an expensive drink or coffee on the Piazza, as mentioned, while listening to corny music, is more memorable for me. But I would never tell someone not to try it if it appeals.

cd Mar 26th, 2002 11:24 AM

We are boaters so any smell is only what we are used to. We too, chose not to afford the gondola ride, but we loved Venice! We found the public buses (canal boats) to be a unique and economical way of travel. We walked a lot. I remember running into a small parish that had been an active parish since 450 AD! it was open and parishers were working on the grounds. We went in and it was awesome to think of all the saints that had been there before. I found Venice to be very romanic and it was there I encountered my first bidet!

elaine Mar 26th, 2002 11:41 AM

topping for CarrieHines

Kevin Mar 27th, 2002 08:19 AM

I wouldn't think of venice as a great honeymoon spot. It is a beautiful city with beautiful culture, but it is a toursist city, and i don't care who you are, the canals smell unless you haven't used clariten in 3 months. it's sewage it smells. I am italian from america and i love the country, i would recommend more going to soutern italy down by the mediterranean. ever see wild on the mediterranean? they show the caves that they take you in in a little boat, thats romantic. We passed on the gondola ride when we were in italy because it was pricy. We also stayed only in little mom and pop bed and breakfast's right outside of the piazza de san marco. i would recommend going to someplace a bit more quiet and then take a trip to venice, see the doge's palace the basillica and the many other sights. florence is also beautiful. hope i could help.

Meredith Mar 27th, 2002 08:22 AM

go to the Cinque Terre- it's the most romantic place in Italy

elaine Mar 27th, 2002 09:10 AM

I don't know why or what kevin experienced but I've been to Venice a few times in early autumn, I have friends who go in the spring and winter and neither I nor my friends found any disagreeable odors. High summer I can't speak to. <BR>There is a persistent myth that Venice's canals are also its sewers.<BR>They are not. Venice has sewage treatment plants. I'm not saying that nothing wayward is ever thrown into the canals but they are not municipal sewers. Venice has many environmental and garbage issues to deal with, but all of its toilets flushing directly into the canals is not one of them. And outside of the peak months of June-early Sept, the crowds are not bad at all.<BR>I'm sure southern Italy is lovely.<BR>So is Venice.<BR>

Sylvia Mar 27th, 2002 09:43 AM

Try the Amalfi coast.It's heaven.

Steven Mar 27th, 2002 09:54 AM

What a question. Venice is breathtaking and exceedingly romantic. Go in the winter and stay at a very nice hotel (hope your wedding is in the winter). Take the Gondola after lunch on a clear day, take a blanket. My wife is still demanding a return.

Fiona Mar 27th, 2002 10:21 AM

I agree entirely with Steven, the previous poster. We spent six days in Venice over Christmas and found it to be the most romantic city we've ever been in. It knocks spots off Paris, which gets the reputation of being SO romantic, but in my three visits there, I'd highlight other factors to be more impressive. <BR><BR>We had a gondola ride on Christmas Day, just after sunset, and it was gloriously romantic. Gliding along, as if by magic, on the glassy, deep turquoise labyrinth of little canals, with tiny Christmas lights round every corner was an experience never to be forgotten, and one we hope to repeat. We had a full moon thrown in free! There was a blanket on the gondola for us to snuggle under. Neither of us smelt anything at all from the canals!<BR><BR>Our hotel was fantastic too, right on the Grand Canal, across from the Rialto market. The owners were most hospitable, warm and friendly.<BR><BR>I feel you won't regret spending your honeymoon in this most romantic of cities, especially if you love art and architecture. Vive la dolce vita!

michel Mar 31st, 2002 04:21 PM

I think Venice is a lovely place for a honeymoon, but it does smell. And the warmer the weather, the more foul the odor. As someone else mentioned you might want to take some kind of sinus medication, a spray, etc. and that might help lessen the smell. The city is quite breathtaking at night and I think in some ways it is the most romantic place on earth. However, I am also quite fond on Rome and of course Paris(though Paris is so cliche these days)and think either one would make a great honeymoon destination. Crete is also great. If I had to pick one it would be Rome which is amusing because I didn't even know if I was going to enjoy it when I first went. <BR>Ce La Vie,<BR>michel