Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you recommend a stay in Gubbio for the Festa dei Ceri?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While planning our May 2010 trip to Umbria and Rome I've found that the day I planned to visit Gubbio was Saturday, May 15th which is the date of the Festa dei Ceri. Due to the expected crowds it didn't seem the best day for a daytrip but I'm considering picking up our rental car earlier than planned and drive to Gubbio from Perugia for one night on Friday May 14th, before our week long stay near Assisi. We could leave Gubbio in the afternoon of the 15th in time to arrive at our rental house and still see some of the festival before we depart. I hope to arrive early enough on that Friday to explore Gubbio before the crowds gather.

I would like comments whether we should visit Gubbio at this time or give it a miss because of the festival crowds? We could schedule a visit to Gubbio during the week of our rental near Assisi but it does seem out of the way from most of the places I have on my list. Thank you for any comments. Deborah
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 01:56 PM

I visited Gubbio in May a few years ago as a daytrip from Assisi (quite a drive). There happened to be a festival on that day--not sure if it's the one you are talking about--but we didn't know that and arrived at the very end, when all the citizens of the town were still on the streets, chatting, eating ice cream, drinking wine at street parties (which we were generously invited to join), etc. It was great! If you haven't experienced a festival like that, I think it would be a great opportunity.

Gubbio was charming. It has a funicular that takes you to a hilltop from which you get great views.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

april, I appreciate your comments. I wasn't sure if we should "run" to Gubbio or "run away" from it during such a major festival This is the one where huge candles bearing the image of three saints are raced through town and up the mountain. It did sound like quite a spectacle but was unsure if the crowds would be out of control. I've really enjoyed those unexpected fetes when we've come upon them in France. I've seen several photos of the huge crowds in Italy and not sure if that would be a plus or a minus!! Thanks again, Deborah
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 03:48 AM

DeborahAnn,

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I noticed on Paris forum that you have stayed at vip apartment #180. I have it booked for a week in April and since you mentioned something about tricky electronic keys I thought I would ask if you happen to remember the instructions to make them work? I´d hate to be stuck outside especially since we arrive in the middle of the night..My email address is [email protected]

Regards from snowy Finland, Inka
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 06:23 AM

Although I'm not a fan of crowds, I think being in any hilltown in Italy during a festival would be a lot of fun. Good idea to arrive the day before to check out the town ahead of time. Enjoy!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Holly, thanks for the encouragement regarding the crowds--I'm not a big fans of crowds which is why I'm always happy to travel in low or shoulder season. I've seen some of the photos of festivals in small towns in Italy and I can see masses of people

Inka, I'll be happy to email you about apt #180.

Deborah
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Deborah, thank you very much

Inka