Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you recomd touring LeHavre Port vicinity or doing the Princess Cruise's Paris City Drive & Seine River Cruise Tour

Would you recomd touring LeHavre Port vicinity or doing the Princess Cruise's Paris City Drive & Seine River Cruise Tour

Mar 5th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

My husband & I will have a mid May port stop at Le Harvre, and there will be a limited time to see Paris.
We are thinking that it'd be risky to go on our own, since the port is @ 3hours away from Paris and the ship will not wait for late returnees unless they are with one of the Cruiseline's tours.
So we are looking at doing the Paris City Drive & Seine River Cruise tour.
Would you recommend this tour, if not what do you suggest?
Mar 5th, 2013, 05:59 PM

I'd recommend going to the lovely town of Honfleur, very close to Le Havre.
Mar 5th, 2013, 06:09 PM

Or maybe Rouen!
Mar 5th, 2013, 06:47 PM

Hi Hulalady,

I think that you answered your own question. If you choose Paris, go with ship’s tour and avoid the hassle of worrying about getting back to the boat on time.

I would only suggest this lengthy Paris trip if you have not been there before, and don’t think that you will have the opportunity to return some time soon. You will only get an overview of the city, but Paris is not to be missed. Enjoy…
Mar 5th, 2013, 10:27 PM

I completely agree with joannyc. Go to Honfleur. That's what I did and I loved it. Absolutely charming.
Mar 6th, 2013, 05:58 AM

Another vote for Honfleur. Right across the river from Le Havre. Take a taxi there and back. If you've got time left over then you should visit Le Havre as well. Le Havre is a UNESCO site because it is a snapshot of post WWII modern architecture, when the city had to be rebuilt due to extensive damage. Stop at the tourist office to get a map and brochures to guide you around town. Here are their tourist office websites:

http://en.ot-honfleur.fr/

http://www.lehavretourisme.com/

Unless you've never been to Paris and fear you'll never get there again then don't do that. You'll be wasting a lot of time just getting there and back when you could be spending that time enjoying a visit somewhere.
Mar 6th, 2013, 08:21 AM
ira

Hi Hu,

According to www.voyages-sncf.com Le Havre is 2 hr by train from Paris.

Mar 6th, 2013, 08:29 AM

Another vote for Honfleur. What amounts to basically a drive-by of Paris seems like a really painful idea to me.
Mar 6th, 2013, 08:33 AM

We stopped at LeHarve on a cruise last fall and rented a car. Ours was an overnight stop - the first day we went to Bayeux to see the tapestry and saw a bit of the D-Day beaches. I really enjoyed Bayeux. The second day we went to Giverny - winner! and stopped by Rouen on the way back - it was a Sunday and NOTHING was open!

I would not do Paris unless you really think this is going to be your only chance, ever, ever to do that. If this day is near the start or end of your trip, could you add it pre or post cruise. But it is far and way too much for one day unless Paris by drive-by will tick off your box of "been there".

Giverny would be wonderful in May if there is a ship option or you wanted to rent a car.
Mar 6th, 2013, 09:12 AM

No to LeHavre port area. I did not think there was much of interest there. Do the day in Paris including the Bateau especially if you have never been to Paris. I did the cruise ship tour and it was a fabulous day! Yes, it is a very long and rushed day. And, of course no worry about the ship leaving us. Next choice, a day tour in the Normandy area that would include Giverny, Rouen and Honfluer (I did this my last time at the port of LeHavre and loved it) Or one of the many Normandy D-day historical tours if you have interest in that.
Mar 14th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful input! Looking forward to our travels.
Mar 14th, 2013, 02:24 PM

So what are you going to do? We're dying to know.