Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you go to Spain or London/Belgium for 8 night trip in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would love to hear opinions as we are trying to decide (battle out) where to go on a short vacation. We are trying to decide on a trip for 8 nights to either 6nights London with 2 nights in Belgium or 4nights Madrid/4 nights Barcelona

Iknow, I know... its like comparing apples and oranges, but I was hoping to hear which place you enjoyed or were disappointed by the most and for whatever reasons! Where did you have the most fun? Where would you want to go back? Where were you most impressed or unimpressed?

We are 4 active adults in our late 20s early 30s. We all have somewhat different interests, but I gather we will all be happy taking in the sites of both countries and experiencing a different culture. We will leave from JFK and would like to go in May.

We will be most grateful for all your opinions. Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Either.

We have spent a lot of time in Spain but London is always fun and interesting.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:38 PM

I've loved almost every place I've been in europe (in 70+ trips between vacation and business) and the one place I really woudn't want to go back to is Madrid. It reminded me of nothing so much as Chicago - lots of tall grey skyscrapers, hot, kind of dirty, loud, lots o nightlife (people coming home through the streets singing etc at 5 am) and not a lot to do. (And I don't dislike Chicago, I just don;t expect Spain to look like it. And I don't dislike big cities - I love NYC - but that has a soul and inumerable things to so - in Madrid we ran out after 2 days.)

London is one of my favorites - have been there at least 15 times and always find more to see and do. Given the choice I would definitely do the first trip. And, if so, base yourselves in Bruges. Just do a quick turn around Brussels on the day you arrive and continue to Bruges, which is incredibly charming.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM

In May I have 2 favorites. One is Spain, not the big cities but Andalusia--the best of Moorish Spain. My real first choice in May is actually Sicily. Fly into Palermo and tour the western half of the island--beautiful.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 05:55 PM

Hi - I had to make the same decision about this May, and although I had not been to Spain, I love England. It took only a quick look at the rain and temperature averages for both to confirm that Spain is the better choice. You might also check this out. Anyway, that's where I'll be!
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Both are great, but I would choose Spain, though probably not Madrid and Barcelona. As Bobthenavigator said, I would do Andalusia (Seville, white villages, Granada - don't miss the Alhambra). I actually do like Madrid, especially the museums with day trips to Toldeo and Segovia, so if you do land in Madrid, you have some options. Barcelona is beautiful and fun, but I wouldn't combine it with Madrid - too much city time. Plus, the rest of Spain is so much more charming. Andalusia is especially so in spring.

I have been only to the East side of Sicily, but loved it also. It would be a great choice.

If you do choose England, take nytraveler's advice and base in Bruges. It is such a nice contrast to London.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

I would love to go to Cicily, however the airfares are significantly higher so unfortunatly we cannot even consider that as an option. If we did go to Belgium, we were planning on choosing Brugge as our base, so Im happy to hear it is a good choice.

My brother had went to Seville, and did not love it because he felt that it was too touristy. He also felt he was "nickled and dimed" while there.(He went in mid July) I am going to research it a little more though so thanks for the suggestions!

Whould love to hear more thoughts!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 06:24 AM

I have been to southern Spaim and really enjoyed it. I am planning a trip this April into Madrid and Segovia. Last year we went to Belgium amd took overnight trips to Paris and Amsterdam. We loved that trip!
From my research into Madrid and the surrounding area I will find plenty to do and see.
I do not think you can make a bad choice. I have not found a city in Europe that i disliked. Some I enjoyed more then others.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Agree that if y ou want to do Spain Andalusia has SO much more to offer than Madird - an entirely different history and culture, as well as the adorable white villages and the seaside - and yes, May is plenty warm for the ocean in southern Spain.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I loved Barcelona, full of culture and great food and interesting sights. I loved Madrid, but then again I think Chicago is also full of great museums and terrific local music and interesting architecture and vibrant neighborhoods, all of which is true of Madrid. But the great cafe culture in Madrid has Chicago beat hands down. Wonderful scene in the Plaza Santa Ana, where in the summer people of all ages are relaxing outdoors in tapas bars and cafes late into the night, when the temperature becomes comfortable.

London is a wonderful choice also, another vibrant city filled with variety. Haven't been to Belgium.

Can't go wrong with either choice, I'm thinking.