Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you go to a Flamenco show alone in Seville?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at accomodations in Santa Cruz and seem to incline towards Murillo Apartments right now. Is it safe and advisable to go and catch a FLAMENCO show nearby alone? Since we are traveling with our child, my wife and I were considering going individually and enjoying the show over a period of 2 days. We are worried about the safety angle though - have heard conflicting remarks about walking back alone at night to Murillo.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:56 AM

While we were in Seville, we went to a flamenco show at Casa de Memoria de Al-Andaluz, in Santa Cruz. This a small Moorish museum and not a Flamenco bar. If I recall correctly, the performances started at 9 and lasted just an hour. I don't know where the Murillo Apartments are located but Santa Cruz is quite busy at ten at night so you wouldn't be alone on the streets. If the distance is not far and you are sure to memorize the way back to your apartment (it is easy to get lost in Santa Cruz), it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 09:30 AM

I've been to Sevilla three times as a solo female traveler and stayed in the Santa Cruz area. I've never had a problem walking alone in the area at night. Of course, show the same common sense you would in any big city, and you should be fine!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 09:45 AM

yes, and I have done so, and stayed in the same general area. I was at Hotel Amadeus and went to one alone at Los Gallos (think that's the name). It's not too far a walk but those streets are very confusing around there. Even though I have a good sense of direction, I still kept getting turned around in that area, although never permanently lost. This is, of course, a little scarier late at night.

I don't know where those apts are, but I do agree there are some parts of that area that can seem a little sinister and uncomfortable late at night alone. I did not have any personal troubles, but there were some dark, deserted streets. I would not say that all of the Santa Cruz area is full of people at night, not at all -- only the main squares and some of the major thoroughfare streets (like the one leading up from the cathedral). Many of those little back streets are not full of people.

Anyway, I think it might be okay, from where I stayed, I kind of wished I'd gone to that other one at the Casa de Memoria as it sounded good and was just at the end of my street. Los Gallos was a very good show, though.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou all for the info- really helps.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:43 AM

My husband and I also stayed at the Amadeus in Seville and took a taxi to and from the Flamenco Show. We went to the one over by the bull-ring. We felt very secure and enjoyed the evening a lot. The only problem was the weather. The rain in Spain was falling everywhere (not just the plain) and the taxi driver dropped us about 3 blocks from our hotel. Of course he couldn't take us right THERE as it's up an alley, so to speak. But we did have to slog through the rain and got soaking wet. If you have any doubts about your neighborhood safety, just have the front desk call a taxi. They have their favorite taxi companies and they are certainly safe. I could go on and tell you about my leaving my purse in the taxi on the way from the airport but that would be embarassing.....

Carol / Brahmama
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:20 AM

I also think there are some dark and deserted streets in Santa Cruz when it gets dark. My reading was that there are crowded areas with restaurants and tapas bars and then small alleys that are not crowded and connect these areas. It got uncomfortable at night and specially late at night.
I also stayed in Amadeus hotel and went to the Flamenco show that is around the corner. I went to couple more Flamenco shows in Cordoba and Granada when I was sure I am not compromising my safety.
I am also a female and was travelling alone.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:01 PM

the apts. murillo are around the CORNER practically.

depending in the age of the child, i think if he/she were not too drowsy for the 9 pm. casa de la memoria show.

it is very tasteful, no smoking,nor drinks,lasts only one hour and a child above three should find it entertaining. it is only 11 euros.. so sit near exit.. and slip out if necessary.

you are more vulnerable to have your purse snatched at a sidewalk cafe than walking to your hotel.
DO NOT worry.

sevilla has put SO MANY undercover police now in sta. cruz, (i met a few patols during visit to a shop..BTW.. they look like toruists even with cameras draped tempting the thieves)..

the theives have probably gone elsewhere.
we felt very very safe.

just remember corner landmarks.. even write them down.. you will be fine.