Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you eat at any of these Paris Museums?

Apr 23rd, 2006, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Right now, it looks like it just might be the Louvre, D'Orsay, and Musee Rodin. I've only had lunch at the cafeteria at the D'Orsay which was okay.

Depending how tired we are, we might eat lunch/dinner at some of these museums instead of finding somewhere to eat after running around the museum.

I've heard good things about the restaurant at the D'Orsay(which seems a bit pricey) and the outdoor cafe at the Rodin.

I've never really seen too many posts about the eating areas at the Louvre except the outside Cafe(Marly?).

If you have eaten at the restaurants at the Louvre/Tuileries, would you recommened them? Not looking for anything extravagent or incredible, but hopefully just some good food.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 08:37 PM

We've had lunch at Cafe Marly quite a few times, and always enjoyed it, especially in the summer months when you can eat outside. It's a great spot for people-watching, both at the restaurant, and in the Louvre courtyard just beyond the outdoor seating area.

The ambience makes up for the food, which is just ok, certainly not outstanding.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 08:37 PM

We have eaten in the very beautiful dining room of D'Orsay as well as the cafe..we prefer the dining room.
We had tea at the Rodin years ago..
At the Louvre, we sit outside at Cafe Marly across the Pyramid, facing the entrance of the museum and looking out over the Tuilleries.
It might be considered extravagent..I don't remember prices ( very selective memory )
Apr 23rd, 2006, 09:31 PM

Museums are best known for their works of art, not their food. The food tends to be mediocre. The food court outside the Louvre is pretty good, and inexpensive, with lots of variety (as you'd expect from a food court).
Apr 23rd, 2006, 09:37 PM

The Rodin is a good choice For lunch. Casual of course - but decent food in a really lovely setting out in the gardens.

The cafe at d'Orsay is pretty hectic and crowded. The restaurant is better.
Apr 24th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Definitely have lunch in the main dining room at Musee d'Orsay. You can't beat the ambiance and food's pretty good and, surprisingly, not that expensive. A word of advice: Get there around noon, as it fills up fast.
A casual lunch at the outdoor cafe Rodin Museum is also recommended, assuming, of course, the weather cooperates.
Apr 24th, 2006, 06:52 AM

I never saw a cafe at the Rodin..where is it? I had a great lunch at the Louvre cafeteria but only had coffee in the stunning dining room of the Orsay.
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:02 AM

It is in the garden. If you are standing at the back of the mansion it is to your right about 1/2 down the length of the gardens.
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:03 AM

that should be "1/2 way down . . "
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:26 AM

I had an excellent at the Louvre last May. The food is good, and the choices are many. Much better than, say, the options you get at the Metropolitan Museum Of Art.
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I had lunch with my two children and a French friend and her two children at Cafe Richelieu in the Louvre a couple of months ago and found the food only a little bit overpriced and better than I'd expected. I had a cold seafood plate that included nice shrimp and salmon. Service was fine.

The room is lovely, overlooking the courtyard, and there's a patio area that would be really great in fine weather. I think there may be more than one room, though I didn't see it.

Note that larger parties might have to split up---we put our four kids (who are all enough to behave without supervision) at another table nearby.
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:32 AM

We had a lovely lunch at the cafe at the D'Orsay. The huge clock was right in front of us.

We had a terrible meal at the food court at the Louvre. The have a couple of small cafes that folks seem to like, but I had kids with me, so the food court seemed like it would work out better for us (but the food was bad).
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Two years ago my friends ate at the Louvre and got food poisoning. It really ruined a couple days of their vacation
Apr 24th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Given the endless thousands of people who pass through the food court, I wouldn't be surprised by a few bad experiences, but I don't know of any personally. It's best never to look into the kitchen of any place where you actually intend to eat.

By the way, it's the Orsay museum, not the D'Orsay museum.
Apr 24th, 2006, 09:41 AM
ira

>By the way, it's the Orsay museum, not the D'Orsay museum.<

Anthony, it's a lost cause.

Apr 24th, 2006, 09:54 AM

I'll remember that the next time I visit the Of London, the Of Pisa, or the Of Egypt.
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:20 AM

There's a very nice small café in the Richlieu wing; we've had lunch there several times, and the food has been consistently good.

On the mezzaine level of the Richlieu is a large cafeteria, and on the ground floor there's a restaurant. So you have quite a few good choices besides the Café Marly.

The café on the top floor of the Orsay is quit good, if you avoid the noon hour--it's packed then.
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:21 AM
yk

We've eaten lunch at Cafe Mollien at the Louvre (a serviced cafe). The Cafe faces out towards the glass pyramid. It serves the same wrapped sandwiches which one can purchase from the self-service cafe, but of course, it cost more at Mollien because of the service.

We also had dessert at the cafe inside Orsay.

Neither meal was particularly memorable, but it was definitely convenient for us (we tend to stay at museums for hours).
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:51 AM

We had a light lunch at the Cafe at Jacquesmatre Andre museum. It was good, but we were very happy to be there because the interior of cafeteria is very nice decorated, like a room in a palace.
Apr 24th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...

Scarlett - do you remember how much tea was the the Rodin? Was it an enjoyable experience?

It seems that at the Louvre there is a cafe in every wing - it seems that the Richlieu might be the best one.

Anyone know the average cost for a meal at Cafe Marly? If it is quite expensive(we are on a budget)perhaps we can just have a drink there and enjoy the view.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO