Would you do Venice in 1 day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will get to Venice on a Friday night, spend the whole Saturday there...

I am planning to go to Murano/Burano on Sunday before I head back to Milan.

What are your thoughts and recommendations?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:46 AM

Hi,

I went to Venice in June and we spent two full days - day one, we walked everywhere - St. Mark's Square, took a gondola ride early in the morning with almost no one around - wonderful, walked through all the little alley ways, stopped at little outdoor cafes, and took the waterbus down the Grand Canal. On the next day we did Murano/Burano and the next two towns past Burano and we felt we saw everything we would have wanted. We were on the go from 7:00 am until 11:00 pm on both days but well worth it. I loved Venice - a magical place. Enjoy!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:05 AM

With only one-and-a-bit days, I wouldn't bother with Murano or Burano. We spent a week there last year & didn't get to Murano - there is so much to see more centrally, just wandering around. We did go to Burano but only for lunch. We're going back for another week next year & I'm not sure we'll get to Murano then either.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:19 AM

Ditto to what Caroline says. I've been to Venice now three times but in many ways the first time was the best.

That was a day trip from the Lakes - no guide book, just what I read up on earlier.

So - head for St Marcs from wherever you are staying by foot or by water bus - do go inside - maybe do the Doge's Palace next door.

Then just set off - just wander - if you find St Maria del Miracoli, if you find that huge square with the equestrian statue and the cavernous church - then fine. If you don't, it doesn't matter - you will have found your own Venice.

One thing I would recommend - if you come across any ads for performances of classical music in one of the churches - then GO.

You can't plan for this stuff - it's just serendipity.

Have fun.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:43 AM
ira

Hi BT,

You have answers to your other post.

If you click on your name, you will find all of your posts.

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:52 AM

I agree with Caroline. I plan vacations for tourists and I do not like to put too much in or it all becomes a blur.

I had a day and half in Venice a few weeks ago and I would have been sorry to try and fit in Murano and Burrano.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Burano,while being one of my absoultely favorite places on the planet, does take quite a lot of the day up just on the roundtrip ferry transportation.

With only two total days I'd spend them in Venice proper or if you really, absolutely have to see Burano pay for a water taxi to get you to and fro much quicker.

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Hi braziliantraveller, One day is good.Buy a good map before you go, a map with the vaporetto lines included. Head for ST Marks square,visit the basilica, enjoy the shops selling that beautiful glass, take the no.1 vaporetto and enjoy the grand canal, if you want to take a gondola ride, the american express office offers some good deals.Behind St marks Square.(If you have the Basilica behind you it is one of the campos straight in front behind St Marks Square)Maybe book an evening gondola ride. Or on a good map it will show where you can get an official gondola ride. Don't hang around if there looks like lots of people waiting, we walked off towards the American express office and close to there there was another booth? with a shorter wait.
Spend the night strolling thru St Marks square and along the canal towards Arsenale and back or have dinner or coffee in the square and listen to the music.
Take a vaporetto back to your hotel.
I loved Burano, so pretty, from memory it was a further 1/2hour from Murano(5 mins from Fondamente Nove stop). Murano didn't really care for it, but, Burano still had beautful glass and lace. picturesque. Torcello was even further from Burano. It is a long day if you want to enjoy all 3 islands.
Of the 3 islands I preferred Burano. Then I suggest visiting Burano, then heading back at a leisurely pace.
Ginder