Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Would you consider canceling Hotel Majestic in Barcelona? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/would-you-consider-canceling-hotel-majestic-in-barcelona-922267/)

mattian Feb 1st, 2012 11:23 AM

Would you consider canceling Hotel Majestic in Barcelona?

Have July reservations for 4 nights at Hotel Majestic in Barcelona but in reading many of the TA reviews I am finding numerous negative comments about the concierge staff. Since this is one city that I expect to need help with the sites and restaurants, I wonder if we should not chance a bad experience and change to a hotel that gets high marks for its staff. And if so, I would like to stay in the Eixample district at a 4 - 5 star hotel paying under $300/day. I am reading incredible reviews on Alma Barcelona, and would also like to hear from those who experience at Hotel MurMuri, Hotel 1898, and The Claris.

zeppole Feb 1st, 2012 11:30 AM

I don't know why you wouldn't cancel a hotel that gets negative reviews in the services you will most want. But what I really posted in your thread to say is that I hope you will only be relying on a hotel concierge for making restaurant reservations, not recommending reservations. Hotel staff -- maybe especially at hi-end hotels -- are notorious for recommending restaurants for reasons other than best food and service for your price range.

HG001London Feb 1st, 2012 11:33 AM

i dont know the alma, but my sister went to majestic an completely raved about it for ages. I personally would't change hotel purely for concierge staff, you will be spending far more time in your room than with the staff -unless all the reviews are really bad, and they seem ok from what i san see.

But........if you are going to be very worried about this and equally like the other bits to the alma then maybe change to put your mind at rest.

But don't worry...there will always be bad reviews about all hotels :-)

qwovadis Feb 1st, 2012 11:57 AM

Stayed there a while back perfect location building rooms
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/barc...jestic.en.html
Here are some honest reviews from recent guests
TripAdvertizerreviews always suspect many clueless first time
posters manyjelous competitors post fake ones
Odds are great you will be fine badservice quite rare.
Not worth the hassle of the change for me.

qwovadis Feb 1st, 2012 12:00 PM

Go to sites like Chowhound.com Opentable Urbanspoon etc
for best upscale restaurants concierge almost always
on the take in all big hotels there always plan my own.

hetismij2 Feb 1st, 2012 12:00 PM

You do realise that TA is prone to false reviews don't you?
I'm not saying that is the case here, but I take the reviews with a pinch of salt. If the hotel otherwise meets your needs, and you are happy with it - which you obviously were before reading TA, then I would stay put.
You will be quite capable of finding good restaurants on your own I am sure. As Zeppole points out concierges often have reasons to recommend a restaurant other than the quality of the food there.

marthag Feb 1st, 2012 12:18 PM

We spent 5 nights at the Majestic in a junior suite in October 2010. We loved the hotel. The staff were extremely service oriented and we felt like valued guests the entire time we were there.I think you should stay with the Majestic.

zeppole Feb 1st, 2012 12:32 PM

If the credibility of TripAdvisor reviews is an issue, then read the ones on Booking.com. The only people allowed to post reviews there are people who booked their stay through booking.com, so there is no question that the writer of the review stayed there:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/majestic-roma.en.html

I'm surprised at the advice that you should ignore bad reviews, especially about things you care about. I sometimes book a hotel where 9 out of 10 reviewers loved the hotel but criticized the "poor breakfast" because I don't eat breakfast. But if everybody loved the hotel except for the "noise" or the "lack of temperature controls in the room", it's off my list, even if it was only one person.

The idea that "since you were happy with the hotel until you read bad reviews" isn't a reason to cancel mystifies me. So does the idea that if I had a nice experience with the staff and somebody else didn't, then you should believe me not that other person is also a bit daft.

For the record, business owners sometimes rush onto Fodor's when they see a thread like this, saying all is well.

I'm not saying I'm sure you should cancel, but it's your trip and you should be picky about your hotel and the things that will make your trip nicer for you.

Robert2533 Feb 1st, 2012 12:59 PM

Bad reviews of hotels on TA are a dime a dozen, most without merit.

As already noted, booking.com seems to be about the best site for hotel reviews since the world no longer has professional reviewers. At least with bookiing.com there are some controls.

I personally would not give up a reservation at the Majestic, having used the hotel for several years with great results. The Murmuri belongs to the Majestic Group.

Both the 1898 and Claris are also excellent choices.

Surfergirl Feb 1st, 2012 01:02 PM

We stayed at the Claris (2 rooms, but family) and we loved it! The BEST a/c in Europe, great top floor outdoor pool, outstanding location, and really nice staff, very helpful. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

mattian Feb 2nd, 2012 07:01 PM

This is why I love this forum. The experiences of others only benefits those of us traveling to new places. Thank you all for the level headed and candid replies.

turaj Feb 3rd, 2012 05:27 AM

While I fully realize that concierge recommendations are a rseult of many kickbacks....family relationships...etc. at a SMALL hotel where the concierge knows they will see you again I find the recommendations somewhat better. Concierges can be very helpful for many things. That said Majestic has very good reputation but I would opt for the smaller Murmuri.