Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would You Base Your Stay In Rhodes Town Or Lindos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Rhodes in October and am trying to decide where to base myself. I don't plan to travel around the island when I get there as I've done a lot of travelling this year and am using this holiday for rest and relaxation. To those who know the island where would you advise as a base out of Lindos & Rhodes Town? Thanks.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 03:33 AM

Hi Ann - Both are great choices - I don't think you can wrong with either.

If you want a picturesque small resort, Lindos is a delight.
If you want an attractive historical town with convenient ferry connections, Rhodes is excellent.

Really it depends what you want ...

Steve
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:40 AM

I wouldn't even think about staying Lindos.

BORING!

If you stay in Rhodes Town, you should hole up at the Rodos Park Suites Hotel. The hotel has a beautiful swimming pool and is just outside the Amboise Gate of the Old Town.

Thin
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Tend to agree about Rhodes Twon. It has much more atmosphere and much more choice, for food, shopping etc.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

I was surprised to see Lindos reffered to as "boring" and a one off place to visit on some forums. This is why I thought I's ask here to see if anyone else had more oversight and could give a realistic comparison. I know Lindos can be a bit laborious when it domes to walking around etc and, as this is to be a restful holiday, would anyone say that depsite the hills etc Lindos is worth the extra effort in terms of travel from the airport and getting around?
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 05:27 AM

It's a number of years since we stayed in Lindos but we realy enjoyed it. We did, however, have a hire car and use it as a base to explore the island. We had an apartment above the old village, with great views towards the Acropolis and enjoyed wandering round the little narrow alleyways in the evenings after the day trippers had gone. No doubt Rhodes Town would be a livlier place to stay but it depends what you want to do. Our trip was late in the season, I believe Lindos can be pretty packed in high season - but then that goes for Rhodes Town too.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought Lindos was way over-hyped, not to mention way over-crowded. Aside from some ruins and a lot of tourist shops, it didn't have much to recommend it. Rhodes old town, on the other hand, was a delight. You have a choice of an atmospheric stay in the old town, or somewhere on resort row outside.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 12:56 AM

Like Maria I had a car and used Lindos as a base to explore the whole island. Without a car your options are limited there.

It really depends what you want. You'd certainly find more to do in/around Rhodes - with the added option of an away-day by ferry if you choose ...

Steve