Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Would staying at Canary Wharf in London be inconvenient? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/would-staying-at-canary-wharf-in-london-be-inconvenient-219036/)

Sheila May 10th, 2002 11:44 AM

Would staying at Canary Wharf in London be inconvenient?

Would staying at Canary Wharf be inconvenient for sightseeing in London? Does anyone know what tube zone that would be? My son is checking out a rental in that area for a week stay in an apartment if anyone has any information about the area. Thanks

Clare May 10th, 2002 11:47 AM

My cousin used to live in canary Wharf and although i don't know what zone that is, i would recommend it as it is not far out of London and would be alot cheaper than staying in the centre of London.

mpprh May 10th, 2002 11:48 AM

Hi<BR><BR>It's on an offshoot of the tube called DLR (Docklands Light Railway)<BR><BR>If the acc is cheaper - take it<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Cindy May 10th, 2002 12:57 PM

Canary Wharf is in Zone 1 of the tube; it takes about 30 min to get there from the Covent Garden area. They started redeveloping the area around 5 yrs ago so a lot of it's pretty new and not very "neighborhoodish"; lots of tall bldgs.

Betsy May 10th, 2002 07:22 PM

Its not Mary Poppins London if you know what I mean, but I agree with the other poster regarding price. If its a good price take it. The Tube and DLR will make the traditional part of London easy to get. London is so expensive and this area is a bit out of the way not not significantly.

janis May 10th, 2002 08:39 PM

IF you can get a real bargain it is a nice area. the problem is that there are few cheap rentals in Canary Wharf. The main reasons being that almost everything is brand new construction and very modern and pricey, and a lot of international companies pay very high rents for their staff visiting and working there. <BR><BR>Most flats I have checked out there are as much or more than comparable places in much closer in central areas.<BR><BR>So - if he can get a VERY GOOD price then go for it, otherwise stay in the center (S. Kens, Bloombury, Victoria, etc.) and save a hour's commute each day

Lucy May 11th, 2002 02:47 AM

I just returned from staying a week in this area. It was wonderful! We rented a two story, two bedroom house on the water. The price we paid was much less than it would have been for similar accomodations in Central London.<BR>Canary Wharf is on the Docklands Light Rail. The stop is right at the doors of a big supermarket. Also in the Canary Wharf complex you will find many other shops and restaurants.<BR>It is in zone 2, so a travel card or ticket that covers zones 1&2 will work on the DLR and underground. Journey time into central London was never more than 20-30 minutes. Well worth it, because it was so great to return to the quiet Docklands area at the end of a busy day touring around town. We felt perfectly safe returning home late at night on the DLR. If you have any other questions please email me. From now on I won't consider staying anyplace else, that is how much we enjoyed Docklands and the Canary Wharf area.

David May 11th, 2002 04:10 AM

Canary Wharf is also on the Jubilee underground line which takes about 20 -25 mins to Westminster, Green Park and Bond Street

Patrick May 11th, 2002 05:52 AM

I live nearby. It's in Zone 2 (not Zone 1 as someone else posted), but as it was built to be a new financial/office centre, the transport links are good - there's now a riverbus service to central London too (www.thamesclippers.com).<BR><BR>Within the Canary Wharf development itself, there are plenty of restaurants, pubs and caf&eacute;s, and enough shops for all the office workers. There's a cinema nearby, and a branch of the Museum of London will soon open to focus on Docklands history. But there isn't quite the sense of an established neighbourhood/community.

Doug Weller May 11th, 2002 10:00 AM

Try Hampstead Heath instead. My brother and his family stayed there just after Christmas and loved it.<BR><BR>Doug

Sheila May 13th, 2002 11:12 AM

Thanks everyone for all the information. I am trying to find out about this for my son and his friends. It is a 2 bedroom sleep 6, 2 bath, full kitchen for $1199 American (not pounds) for a week. The location is Fairbriar Residence on the Boardwalk at Canary Wharf. The price is pretty good if they can get 4 to 6 guys to go on the trip. He and I went last year but he wants to go back with some of his friends. Thanks again for all the information.<BR><BR>

janis May 13th, 2002 10:01 PM

Sheila: That is what I was afraid of. $1199 is over &pound;825 per week. That is pretty high since you can find decent 2 bedrooms all over London for &pound;650 - &pound;800. I would not recommend Canary Wharf UNLESS it is a bargain and $1199 is not cheap. <BR><BR>I would stay right in central London and save a LOT of time every day. If you could get a 2 bedroom at Canary Wharf for less than &pound;650 then it might be a good ided. But to over &pound;800 and be 30 minutes from any of the major sites doesn't make sense to me.

Keith May 14th, 2002 12:05 AM

If you decide to stay in Canary Wharf, be sure and time your journeys appropriately! I work there and the public transport can be very busy at peak times (and, in the case of the Jubilee line, can be very unreliable.) There are a lot of shops, bars and a cinema in the area, and it's also handy for seeing Greenwich, but I would say if you can find somewhere more central and cheaper then go for that.