Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would like to visit Switzerland and an adjacent country--Itinerary Recommendations?

Would like to visit Switzerland and an adjacent country--Itinerary Recommendations?

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking my husband to Europe this spring to celebrate his 40th birthday. He would like to visit Switzerland and, ideally, an adjacent country. We will be leaving the US on 5/15 (arriving early morning 5/16) and returning to the US on the morning of 5/26.

My husband is delightfully/frustratingly open regarding our itinerary and I'm basically looking for any recommendations. With 10 days on the ground, what would your recommended itinerary of the area be (within Switzerland and recommendations for an a nearby country), based on highpoints for travelers who have never been to the region and ease of travel between destinations?

Again, my head is swimming with possibilities and I'm really just looking for a place to start. Recommendations from fellow travelers have always been a useful jumping off point in the past.

Thank you!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM
ira

Hi MJ,

Here is one suggestion:

Fly into/out of Munich - 2 nights.
Rent a car

Drive to Lindau on the Bodensee - 3 nights.

Drive to Interlaken in the Berner Oberland - 4 nights

Drive back to Munich - 1 nights.
Return car. Fly home.

You will need to purchase a 35E road tax sticker (vignette) for Switzerland if you drive on the highways.

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi MJ105,

With 10 days I'd suggest staying in Switzerland. I'd say 4 nights in the Berner Oberland, 3 nights Zermatt, 3 nights Luzern,

I would also recommend traveling by train. Trains are excellent (and scenic) plus places such as Zermatt, BO do not allow cars and there's no real need for one in Luzern. anyway.

We did a similar trip a while ago. We drove from Zurich airport Appenzell and then to Liechtenstein and stayed there. We then drove to and dropped the car in St. Moritz before using the trains for the rest of our trip to the BO (we love Wengen!), Zermatt and Luzern.

Depending on your flight time home, you can maybe spend your last night in Luzern. It's a short train trip to the Zurich airport.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Hi, MJ105:

In the Interlaken area, you can stay at Lauterbrunnen. (Great place to stay: Staubbach hotel). Once there visit its waterfall valley,Trummelbach Chutes (Falls) and the great Jungfraujoch- Top of Europe.
Also visit Murren.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:21 AM

Any more clues about your interests? There's a big difference between Venice and Paris, or Bologna and Lyon. Is food or wine or beer important? Art and architecture? Outdoor activities? Train or auto buff? A specific aspect of European history, old or recent? Want to see the Mediterranean?

Personally, I'd rather take trains than drive, especially in Switzerland. And if you've not booked your transatlantic flights, the sky is really the limit of where you can go in Europe, and May is a great time to be traveling.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Day 1: Arrival in Zürich, overnight in Zürich.
Day 2: Luzern (1 hour from Zürich), overnight in Luzern
Day 3: Luzern, the lake, the Alps, overnight in Luzern
Day 4: Berner Oberland, overnight there
Day 5: Berner Oberland, overnight there
Day 6: in the morning Bern, then driving to Basel, overnight in Basel
Day 7: in the morning Basel, then riving into Alsace (France), overnight in Alsace
Day 8: in the morning driving to Freiburg (Germany), overnight in Alsace
Day 9: Driving to Zürich, overnight in in Zürich
Day 10: return flight

Works easily, since distances are very short
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I like all the suggestions here, including those that say there is plenty to fill 10 days right in Switzerland, but one idea not mentioned is visiting Italy would be a contrast to Switzerland.

What do you like to do?

gruezi
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the wonderful suggestions! I know that the information I provided was a little bit sparse--we truly enjoy being outdoors and our favorite aspect of vacation is usually walking for miles on end.

Did anyone have any recommendations on which adjacent country might be preferred?
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 12:44 PM

gruezi, I mentioned Italy.

MJ105,

Italy!

Unless you'd prefer France.

Or Germany.

I really would want a contrast with Switzerland, so I would probably go to the sunny, mountainous Mediterranean an hike (or walk) and eat pesto and swim or take boats. Does that appeal to you?

One idea would be to get to Munich and fly to Genova, and then park yourself in Camogli or above and hike in the Monte Portofino, or go to le Cinque Terre and hike, although you'll have a lot more company there, but in May it's not so bad. There are also fun towns to poke around, like Chiavari, or Zoagli. And there are great walks in the hills if you have the legs for it.

You can also take a train to the Med by coming down from Switzerland through Milano.

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Add the Italian Lakes to Berner Oberland,Switzerland for a nice cultural contrast.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 05:39 AM

I was going to suggest the Italian lakes as well. They are close enough to other parts of Switzerland to make it an easy addition. Also, what about maybe Annecy and Lyon in France?

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Am I the only person who thinks that the Italian lakes don't provide all that great a contrast to the Swiss landscape? The original poster didn't ask for a lot of contrast, and the culture is noticeably different if you go from Germanic Switzerland into Italian Switzerland and then into the Italian lake district (although you'll still get a lot of German tourists), but if I was taking the trouble to get to another place with "high points" I think I'd like something not like Switzerland, or else I'd not bother and go to another lake in Switzerland (avoid the hassle of changing money!).
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Well, if its contrast they would I would taking an overnight train or flight straight to Rome! My suggestion was based mostly on logistics and proximity.

Tracy