Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

would like to find a job overseas, any suggestions

Feb 7th, 2002, 07:40 AM
James T

Hi everyone, I am a new person to this board. I was told by some friends that this is THE place to go for travel related questions. I left out my email so I don't get emails at work, so please reply here if you can.

are there any americans here who work overseas? how did you do it? how do you like it? was it what you expected? anyone have any good tips? I am not sure if I only want to go to Europe actually.

I've always wanted to jump ship & try something different - how hard is it to find a job right now? My job sucks right now, a lot of people here got laid off & I might be next.

thanks in advance.

Feb 7th, 2002, 07:53 AM
xxx

Someone posted a similar question here a year or so ago, and it received some good responses. Let me see if I can't find it and top it for you.

Feb 7th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Sam

You need to get a hold of "woohoo" Beth, a regular poster to this forum. She's been on a crusade for several months trying to get a job in London. Or maybe she's snagged one? Been a while since I saw a post with tales of her latest escapades.

Feb 7th, 2002, 08:52 AM
c

Hi James, I have topped one of Beths London job threads, might give you an idea of what to do/expect..c

Feb 7th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Rachel

James-I've worked in England and Ireland, and will be returning to Ireland in a few months. I didn't have a problem with work visas, as I'm married to a UK citizen.

You, however, will run into problems. However, if you have a skill that's in great demand, then you should be able to find a job with a company that's willing to get you a visa. But unless you have a lot of experience in this field, it's unlikely that you can get a visa this way.

I've heard of a couple other options through this board. One was that if you have a parent or grandparent who was born in Ireland, you can get an Irish passport. This will allow you to work anywhere in the EU. The other one that stuck with me was through BUNAC. But that's only if you've recently graduated from college.

I loved living overseas. I hated working there. Things that really bugged me: things were very formal. You couldn't just have a quick meeting with someone. It had to be planned well in advance, and you had to get someone from the admin staff to take minutes. Good managers were very few and far between. It seems like everyone there has taken a course on how to manage people, but no one actually knows how to do it. The work structure tends to be very rigid. For example, a friend wanted to change her hours from 9 a.m.-5 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.-4:30 a.m. Her boss was very reluctant to do so, and even told her that it would affect her chances for promotion. There is also way too much emphasis placed on "qualifications". Experience seems to count for much less than qualifications. For example, a friend had changed careers in the U.S., and started working as an accountant after taking 2 semesters of accounting courses. He had planned to take the CPA exam, but ended up moving to England before taking the exam. Even though he worked for 3 years as an accountant, he couldn't get a job as an accountant because he didn't have a degree or other qualification in accounting. His degree was in English.

Things I liked: The staff at the companies I worked at typically were great. They worked hard, and would socialize after work, instead of during work like we Americans do, which is why I think Americans work so many hours. Except for certain professions, the work day was pretty much a standard 9-5. Overtime and weekend work are very rare. Which makes for a great social life. Work isn't the focus for most people over there. Having a life is.

So here I am, now about to go work there again. I'm hoping I'll have a better experience, armed with what I know now.

Good luck.

Feb 7th, 2002, 06:10 PM
John G

James, if you are under 30 and a college graduate, you can apply to any of the large English language schools in Japan (GEOS, AEON, NOVA, etc.). They are hiring right now for the new start of the school year in May. I just met someone when I was in New York and they were just hired and they leave in May for Osaka. Try www.teachinjapan.com. The company that hires you will sponsor your visa. YOU MUST HAVE A BA!!! The Japanese gov't will not issue a visa unless you have a college degree!!