Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would I have to pay twice if I don't exit the London tube ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I mean I will travel from Heathrow to a station from Zone 6, there someone will wait for me to get something (we will meet at the gate so I won't exit the station) and I will travel back to Zone 1 where my hotel is.

Will I need to buy 2 fares or 1 would be enough as I am not exiting the tube?

Thank you
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:33 PM

If you don't pass the exit barrier, you will still be covered by the one fare, but if you're hanging around for any length of time, you might be asked why.
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:34 PM

Your question's confused (If you're travelling from Heathrow, you travelling from Z1, so I imagine you're going from Z6 to Z1 to Z6). But you're legally required to have a Z6 to Z1 ticket.

Assuming you can organise the logistics of this (most Z1 stations have many, many, different gates, some of them hundreds of yards apart from each other), you're liable to have your ticket or Oystercard read or scanned by plain clothes inspectors at any point of your journey. It's fine (I think) to do what you're planning - but you must have the right ticket.
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:39 PM

"Your question's confused (If you're travelling from Heathrow, you travelling from Z1, so I imagine you're going from Z6 to Z1 to Z6)."

Not nearly as confused as my typing, though.

I meant to write "Your question's confused (If you're travelling from Heathrow, you travelling from Z6, so I imagine you're going from Z6 to Z1 to Z6). ut you're legally required to have a Z6 to Z1 ticket.
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:26 AM

As I understand the original question, Zen2006 is going from Heathrow (zone 6) to an unspecified station to hand over something, then on to a station in zone 1.
This will be covered by one ticket but, as Patrick says, loitering around the barriers will look very suspicious and the station staff or police may ask what you're doing.
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:27 AM

Short answer is no you don't need to buy another ticket.

Buy an Oystercard when you get to the Heathrow terminal station - Zones 1- 6 cash is 5 pounds per trip. Peak oyster is 4.50 Off peak is 2.70. The most you can be charged in a day is 15 pounds using an oyster across zones 1-6. If you stay within Zones 1-2 the oyster is good value, and it retains the money you put on it. So if you come back in a month or a year that money will still be good.

Have a look at my blog http://travelbritainonabudget.com for tips and travel ideas in London and the wider UK.