Reload this Page >

Would be grateful for suggestions on fast approaching trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Mike

To all you cosmopolitan, freely sharing fountains of useful information out there.... <BR>We are leaving for Europe on the 4th of Oct. <BR>So far,our time from the 16th to departure on the 29th is accounted for(Florence and Rome) <BR>I understand that where and what are highly subjective choices,but am continually impressed with the ideas and suggestions on this forum. We were in Europe once before, 15years ago, visiting the UK and Paris... <BR>Considering a return to the UK, possibly Ireland...any thoughts on the best way to get to somewhere else and then return from Rome would be nice..and if you would like to just tell us how YOU would do it if you were an infrequent traveller...I love museums and historical sites,,,my wife is ok with those, but not as enthusiastic as I..she loves to walk, visit wonderful stores, etc.. <BR>I know this is rambling, but I appreciate your patience and any thoughts you might have for us.... <BR>Thanks, Mike

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Phyllis Stein

Mike, if I read your post correctly, you're looking for a way to get from Rome to the UK (or somewhere else) at the start of your trip? <BR> <BR>Take a look at Go Airlines, a low-cost subsidiary of British Airways. I flew with Go from London to Rome last year and they were just great. Their website is www.go-fly.com, and you'll be able to see how low their fares are and what an interesting range of places they can take you. <BR> <BR>I hope this is the sort of thing you are looking for.... <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:05 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Mike, Why go so far? Why not follow my route starting 4 Oct. from Zurich and ending in Tuscany. It looks like this: <BR>LUZERN--3 NITES <BR>LUGANO---2 NITES [ get car as I leave] <BR>SANTA MARGHERITA--2 NITES <BR>PORTOVENERE--2 NITES <BR>LUCCA---2 NITES <BR>That will give you a good dose of natural splendor in the Alps and the Lakes and la dolce vita on the Ligurian coast prior to your overdose of art and culture. I do not know your style, but this works for me. Let me know if you need details. BTW, did I make it clear that my trip starts 4 Oct. via Zurich. <BR>Hhhmmm ! I guess I must have a thing for medium sized towns that start with "LU"--that was not intentional.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Mr. Go

I think Bob the Nav is on the right track. A case could also be made for Vienna, Venice & Verona. Hmmm...this alliteration bug must be genetic or something.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Mike

This is exactly what I was looking for! <BR>(and expected, from such a discerning bunch!) <BR>Thanks, <BR>Mike

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Mike

Brazenly enough, Im sending this up in the hopes of acquiring more helpful suggestions...anything at all.. <BR>Thanks again to those who answered.. <BR>Mike

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Carla

If it were me, and I'd already been to the UK and Paris, I'd opt for Vienna. It's a glorious city, with plenty of museums and historical sites for you, plenty of great stores for your wife. <BR> <BR>Lots of wonderful side trips, too -- Salzburg, Bratislava, Budapest -- you could even take a day's bus to Prague and back if you really like a long bus ride! <BR> <BR>It's a lot closer to Italy than Northern Europe. And a whole different world.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Linda

I have to agree with the above posters: Vienna is great, Budapest is just 3 hours from Vienna by train and Prague just 5 hours. Of course, one of my favorite cities-Berlin-is just another 4 hours from Prague. London & Paris are nice but Berlin & Vienna are as good if not better.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 11:50 AM
elvira

12 days? I'd start in Brussels, down through Alsace-Lorraine, through Switzerland, then down to Lake Como, through Tuscany, then Rome. Lots of countryside, lots of different cultures, variety of scenery, could be done by train, car or a combination of both. You could spend a little time in a lot of places, or a lot of time in a few places.... <BR> <BR>Or start in Barcelona, through the south of France and along the Mediterranean coast to Rome...

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Mike

What thoughtful ideas..I really do appreciate you folks taking the time to stimulate my fading creativity.. <BR>Thanks a lot, <BR>Mike

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 02:15 PM
John

Mike, did I understand from your question that you want to know how to start somewhere else end end up in Rome? If so, it's easy - call your airline or travel agent and see if there's still time to arrange an "open jaw" itinerary, landing at one city (say London or Paris or...) and returning from Rome, and covering the distance between on your own. By far the more economical way to do it in most cases. <BR> <BR>My vote for your 11 days in early October (you'll be arriving the day after you leave if coming from N. America) would be to start in London for a couple of days in order to get your clocks reset and get into the travel mode, without a car (driving around the Alps or in Italy in general is taxing enough that you don't need exhaustion thrown in to boot.) Then take the train to Paris and then to Lyon before you pick up a car. If it's been 15 years, you haven't experienced the Chunnel, and it's worth it IMO. From Lyon two alternate ways to use up a week: southwest to the Dordogne then down to the Mediterranean, from which take Elvira's suggestion to poke through Provence and the two Riverias before plunging into Italy; or east from Lyon to Annecy then zigzag through northern Italy (either the Lakes or the Dolomites) for beautiful autumn color, before heading south. <BR> <BR>The drop fee on your car, if any, will be less than the cost of one-way flights or train for 2 caused by not using an open jaw approach.