Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would a return in late June be less expensive than one in early July (2006)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barely back from my last group trip to France, I am planning the next one. This time I will be shepherding a group of 15-18 through Languedoc. (Yikes!)

They cannot leave until about June 17 and want about three days in Paris before heading south. That doesn't leave much time for Languedoc if we try to return to the US before the end of June. In your experience does it make much difference in price of tickets to return the end of June versus early July? (Haven't been able to price tickets that far in advance through my usual sources.) Thanks in advance for your insights.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:08 AM
ira

Hi Betty,

Prices for June and July 2006 (both air and hotel) won't be out until about Sept-Oct 2005.

Try www.mobissimo.com for this year and see if there is any difference.

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Hi Betty,

In Feb 2005, when I priced tix for my July 2005 Paris trip there was not a significant price difference for returning at the end of June vs. early July. Also, since I booked my tix on 2/23 at $825 p.p. (JFK to CDG) the price has risen steadily. (I've been watching it at mobissimo.com.)

Of course I might have been able to get a better price in fall 2004 l but I was unable to commit then.

Best of luck to you and your flock.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:29 AM

The earliest you can find a plane fare for a return next year would be 330 days from the date you are interested in.

So, for next June that would be sometime in July and for July sometime this August.

Does this mean these will be the lowest fares offered for those dates? Not necessarily since sales may happen, etc.

Bottom line: you shoudl not have to wait until September or October to find out air fare prices.

As to hotels..in the past I have actually e-mailed hotels about their "next year's" rates; sometimes they will quote a rate and sometimes they will ask you to wait until after a specific date.

Good luck.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:42 AM

The <b>date</b> of the return usually don't make much a difference, as long as it's still under 30 days from departure. However, the <b>day</b> sometimes do make a difference, with weekends often $25 to $50 more, for discount coach fares.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have responded thus far. Just to clarify - all I'm concerned about right now is the cost of flight to and from France. My question is what is the likelihood that a flight leaving US June 17 (yes, I know that's a Saturday) and returning June 29 or 30 would be significantly (~$100)cheaper than one that left June 17 and returned July 3 or 4? Anybody else have an educated guess?
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 12:55 PM

I would suggest you leave on June 18; there's already a saving there, no matter when you return.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 01:49 PM

For that time period, the real savings would be if you departed before June 15, which is the real cutoff date for slightly cheaper fares.

Any benefit to returning at the end of June versus early July? You might find more returning seats available in late June rather than early July when more people will also be returning.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Last year, we flew back from London on July 4 which was a Sunday. There was no difference in price between the 4th and dates late in June. I spent plenty of time researching possible return dates and did not find a flight less expensive than the one I booked. I don't remember the exact date we flew out, but it was in the same time range as you are looking at.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 05:06 PM

I agree with ellenem and christieCA that it's likely to be pretty much of a wash. This year, it seemed like the high summer fares may have even kicked in a little earlier. Regardless, you're not likely to find the best fares on the first day they become available anyway. It's always worth looking, but with most airlines, they don't open with their lowest fares 330 days out.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

OK. Sounds like returning in June would not be much if any advantage, especially since it would cut our time too short, given that we cannot leave before June 17. Plus, if we stay into July we can have a week's house rental (2-3 houses, actually) rather than paying hotel prices all the time. I imagine this would offset any possible extra flight cost involved in returning early July. Thanks for your advice and for letting me think out loud.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 11:08 AM

The important point in prcing of a ticket is when the airfare season starts. Airfare &quot;High season&quot; is generally June 15 to Sept 1 or Sept 15. You will be flying between those dates, so it should not make a difference if you return to the US at the end of June or early July. The end of June would be considered high season by any airline.

You would see savings if you were booking to go to europe in June and made sure your return was before the begining of the high season in mid-June. In your case, the price advantage would be to fly weekdays to avoid the weekend surcharge.