Reload this Page >

Oh where, oh where, should I go next?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Sandy

Well, I just returned from our first trip to Italy, second trip to Europe. I can't thank this forum enough for all of the great input for our trip. Not one gliche at all, and 95% of my info. came from this forum! Thanks everyone!<BR><BR>Now, I have been bitten by the travel bug. I am now recovering from my bout of depression upon returning from our trip. My husband has told me to get over my post-trip depression I should start researching next year's trip. <BR><BR>On our trip, we visited Rome, Tuscany, Florence, and Venice. Oh, how I long for Tuscany(and the castle we stayed in)!<BR><BR>It seems the next logical country to visit would be France. On this forum, it seems to me at least, that Italy and France get the most attention. I need some advice.<BR>After our trip to Italy, I think our interests are interacting with the locals, visiting places that seem to take you back in time with the building and architecture, history, and most definitely scenery. Such romance! I have been told by a few people that they loved Provence, even moreso than Tuscany, for the countryside and old buildings.<BR><BR>Where would others recommend for the above? I would actually be totally content visiting Tuscany again, but with so many places to see, I feel I need to try somewhere else. Thanks! Sandy

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Rex

Galicia to Bretagne, of course! <BR><BR>When would you like to see this trip occur?<BR><BR>see http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1336953<BR><BR>Glad you had a good trip.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:30 PM
tonyccc

Sicily<BR><BR>Without Sicily, Italy leaves no image in the soul. Sicily is the key to everything.<BR><BR>--Johann Wolfgang Goethe<BR><BR>Interacting with the locals........<BR>The absolutely friendliest, sincere,<BR>and honest people I've ever met in Europe (or maybe anywhere)<BR><BR>Visiting places the take you back in time, architecture, history................... Agrigento, Selunite, Piazza Armerina, Siracusa, Palermo, MT Etna<BR>More greek ruins than in Greece<BR><BR>Romance............<BR>Beautiful blue skies, fields of olives and grapes, clear blue water, fascinating views<BR>I could go on forever.<BR><BR>Leave the Francis Mayes fairy tale world<BR>of Italy, and really experience Italy<BR>in Sicily

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Diane

How about the Loire Valley and the beautiful chateaux.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Julie

If you're thinking France, given your interests I'd say either (or better yet, both) Loire Valley or Provence. If you choose to do both, you'd get the added bonus of Burgundy in between.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Danna

Sandy, if you are willing to think beyond France may I suggest SCOTLAND, Scotland, (did I mention Scotland?) It's not logical in in terms of your map planning but the best place in the world to visit (that is unless you are in the Netherlands at tulip time). Sheila will give you great advice on the north, and I'm partial to the SW... Wherever you end up, have a grand time!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Mary Anne Cook

I have just returned from my first trip to France so that would be my next suggestion as a place to visit. I was so pleased to find the country met even more than any expectation I ever had. Six days in Paris, 3 in the Loire area, 3 days in Provence, and the final 3 days in Nice.That gives one a good overview,but not really long enough. Now I want to go to Italy. These 2 countries offer so much in art and History. A beginner on France but would be glad to answer any questions. Like you I received so much good info from this travel site so I am always searching it constantly for more as i definitely have the travel bug. I have traveled Asia the last 2 Februaries and it is so different and such a good travel bargain as well as learning much about completely different cultures than Europe. Think about that if you have never been to Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam,and Laos. All so delightful!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:37 PM
up

up

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:41 AM
lisa

Depending on how much time you have, I think several days in Paris followed by the Loire Valley and then Provence would be lovely. You can find a chateau to stay in in the Loire Valley like you did in Tuscany.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Wayne

Sandy---I always do what you are doing; I start thinking about the next trip as soon as I get back from the current one. I'd like to suggest some ways to divide your time among a number of different destinations:<BR>-(1) For about 10 days to 2 weeks (and really 2 weeks is barely enough) I would definitely follow the advice of some others if you want to see France. Four days in Paris, three or four in the chateau country, and a week wandering in Provence would be magical.<BR>-(2) But Rex also suggested something very good. You could replace the Provence portion of the above with a week of travel through Brittany and Normandy.<BR>-(3) A week in Spain and a week in Portugal would also be great.<BR>-(4) If you want history and old architecture, you could also go to Greece and Turkey, spending a week in each.<BR>-(5) But my favorite would be to fly into Munich, rent a car, and drive south and west through Bavaria and the Romantic Road, then on east through the Italian and Austrian Alps all the way to Vienna, with side trips to Budapest (at least) and possibly Prague. In this route, there is diversity and history galore.<BR><BR>You have a wonderful opportunity to create your own dream vacation and then take it. No matter what you choose, you will be thrilled.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:34 AM
elvira

And now for something completely different....<BR><BR>Ireland or Scotland. Nothing like Italy except how beautiful and and fascinating they are. Incredible scenery and history up the wazoo.<BR><BR>Paris is my favorite place on earth, but running a close second is the Dordogne Valley in France. Gheesh, talk about architecture, scenery and history....rent a house, take day trips, buy food at the local markets. Be carried kicking and screaming to your homeward-bound airplane.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:14 AM
suzanne

I have traveled all over the world. Prague is the place to see.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Dee

Oh TonyCCC, How I hate to differ with you. I have no doubt that Sicily is a wonderful place, as beautiful as you describe....but, most Italians don't even consider Sicily part of Italy, so I wouldn't say it's the most beautiful place in all of Italy.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:06 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sandy, After 21 trips to Europe, including 9 to Italy, I like the route that starts and ends in Munich and includes the Italian Lakes, the Dolomites, Salzburg/Salzkammergaut, Bavaria, and the Romantic road. That gives you a real variety of natural beauty, historical cities, and quaint villages. Of course, you would need to drive, but the rates are best in Germany

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:31 PM

topping<BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:40 PM
carol

SICILY (which is of course part of Italy!!!)<BR><BR>If France: the Dordogne<BR><BR>Greece<BR><BR>Portugal or Spain?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Sandy

Wow! Thanks for all of the suggestions!I am busy on the internet researching all of these great places. I am sure I will be full of questions once I do more research on some possible destinations. The time of year would depend upon our destination. Mostly based upon the weather and we want to avoid high tourist season wherever we go. We don't mind it a little chilly as we are not beach people. We don't have any kids yet, so our schedules are flexible. <BR><BR>I still would love more suggestions if anyone has some. Thanks for the great ideas so far! Sandy

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Jimbo

Consider the Baltics? Tallinn is beautiful, small, friendly and cheap.