Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

WORRIED! Okay to walk in Italy's cities with kids from train stations to hotels????

WORRIED! Okay to walk in Italy's cities with kids from train stations to hotels????

Old May 27th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and 2 kids, ages 13 and 11, will be taking trains in Italy, and our hotels are anywhere from a couple to several blocks from the train stations, in Milan, and Rome. We arrive in Rome after 8PM, and I am worried about the 4 of us pulling suitcases, walking and trying to find our way, being vulnerable to theives! Should we walk, or take a taxi???
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:51 AM

I wouldn't worry so much about theft, the distance to the hotel could be a problem. Rome is safe at night. Dragging suitcases can be a hassle though. Taxis are cheap.

Which hotel are you in?

dave
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, a'gal,

i agree that it's worrying arriving in a strange place at night - I'd be the same in NYC!

regardless of time of day, we ALWAYS get a cab to the hotel - it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. make sure that you know where the official taxi rank is and ignore the touts. also, assign a task to each child, so that you know that all the luggage is taken care of.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

The Rome hotel is Radisson SAS Hotel Via Filippo Turati, which is only on the next block from the street that runs right next to the main train station. It looks so easy to walk to- I am just concerned that after a long train ride from Austria (11 hours) that we will not want to end up walking in a scary part of town, trying to find our way! I think of cities here in the U.S., when Ihave ended up in places I did not feel safe in, and with my kids, I don't want to risk it. Is it easy to get a cab at train stations?
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:27 AM

By the time you get to the official taxi stand at Termini, you are steps away from the street your hotel is on. Are you going to Rome in the summer? It will still be daylight at 8PM.
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:27 AM

It looks like we are from the same area. Last year we visited some countries and I went online and translated, Please take me to the hotel .....at 54 ........, I printed off a page of them, cut them in strips and put them in a little book with clear sheets that I found at book store, did it for train station, restaurants, I carried them with me at all times.
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:38 AM

I am not saying that it's unsafe but be prepared to be accosted by fake taxi drivers walking to you and "offering" (or rather, pushing) their services. Just keep walking and don't even try to explain to them that you don't need a taxi. They can get very belligerent . If you ignore them eventually they'll go away.
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:53 AM

for such a short walk in daylight it should not be a problem. It does depend on the amount and type of luggage that you have. But there should be no security issue if everuone is aware and you do not stop to look around and ignore your luggage.

I do have one question out of curiosity. Why would you take an 11 hour train ride ever? It seems a total waste of time and energy. Almost a whole day thrown away.
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Thieves around train stations? Absolutely. That's where the goods are so that is where the thieves are.

Chances are that you will not find a taxi to drive you only one block. They won't break rank for a measly fare.

If you overpacked and cannot manage your stuff alone call your hotels and ask to have them send a porter(s) to meet your train. They do this.

In Milan I have personal experience on a number of visits that the area in front of the station is populated with gypsies, the most clever thieves in Europe. Walk quickly and be ready.

Here's a tip that Fodorites pass out often. PACK LIGHT!! You are not traveling by SUV so only bring what you can comfortably carry and sling up to the luggage rack on the train, six feet from the floor. You will also find yourself carrying luggage up stairs. Italy is not well known for elevators or escallators in operating condition.

The 11 hour train ride wastes a full day so here is another tip to save you time and money. Take the night train from Vienna. A T4 compartment is perfect for your family. Leaves Wien at ~8PM and arrives Rome at ~10AM. Your kids will love it. Bring a snack and/or dinner on board. Train food is pricey and not too good. Depending on the class of service you may be served breakfast in your compartment.

Old May 27th, 2007, 06:13 AM

I see from your other post that you are a newbie at traveling by train in Europe. Here is a site that will get you started http://tinyurl.com/eym5b.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:25 AM

arizonagal, Have you ever been to Europe? If not, I would REALLY suggest packing LIGHT! I saw people dragging huge suitcases around and it looked so frustrating. With 4 of you, it could be an issue finding one taxi that would fit all of your luggage in one load if you pack too much. As far as safety, we took our 2 teenagers and never felt unsafe walking from any train station to our hotels. However, we WERE very aware and careful of our belongings...and hopefully because we were so careful, we never had any trouble. Have fun!

P.S. I felt safer in Italy's big cities than a lot of U.S. cities. This could be a tourist's naivety, but I don't think so. Our Venetian cousin told us that our teenagers would be safe at night walking around Venice...a theory we didn't try out, but reassuring, nonetheless.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Part of the 11 hour train ride from Vienna to Rome is very scenic, you will probably enjoy it. Personally I think trains rides are a nice rest break from non-stop city sightseeing if you have a comfortable compartnent.

Yes, do be prepared to fend off "gypsy cabs" at Termini, I had guys grab my bags and demand 50E for a ride I knew would cost 6E. Then other guys got into the act and tried to give me a "bargain" rate of 35E and the rock bottom 25E! I was fresh off 20 hours of traveling but alert enough to say NO very emphatically and go back inside to regroup. The official taxi rank is in front of Termini, not to the side where I accidentally alighted! (My ride in a metered cab was 7E with tip.)

I did see the SAS there. You may want to sit everybody on a bench in a quiet corner of Termini with bags all firmly grasped and have one of the adults make a brief expedition out to find the most direct route to the hotel then return so you can walk there with confidence and not be bumbling around on the street with bags. It can feel like swashbuckling to get thru Termini upon arrival, not only did I have the unscrupulous cab drivers vying for my business, I had a gypsy lady try and thrust her baby at me so I would put down my bags.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Good advice, I would send one adult to scout the route too.

You should get a map of the train station area BEFORE you leave so you can be sure you are exiting the station at the right exit.

The gypsy cabs will offer you a special price but don't take it, they will raise it later when you and your bags are in the car.

Old May 27th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Arizonagal-You've gotten VERY good advice here on these posts-(Vivi's tip particularly about the rip-off cabdrivers to the side, NOT the official taxi rank out front-although a few of those official ones want to take you for a "ride" too!-thank god I speak Italian, because I let those Rome taxi drivers get an EARFUL BEFORE we drive off-tell them they better not even THINK of taking me for a "giro" around the city, tell them they have the worst reputation in the world for ripping off tourists-in other words, I SCARE them!). (however I also tip some of those I think are really nice!)

There will be plenty of police about (carabineri and poliziotti) trust me, but the gypsy cab drivers, the women working in groups (those with babies) asking you the time, bumping into you, spilling things on you, all of that occurs in and around Termini, (but particularly the metro stations) and particularly if they see a family with suitcases.

And I also believe Hopscotch is probably right-they're not going to break ranks for a block, although, some taxi driver might-but I wouldn't absolutely count on it).

Now, this past September, I didn't encounter any of that, and I was in and out of Termini 4 or 5 times during the day and night-but, I was largely by myself-However, I came into Rome at Tiburtina, in the a.m., and I DID have my huge suitcase with me, and I was alone, and I DID have ONE Roma (not to be confused with Romans-"Roma" are eastern european) woman come up and ask me for money, but I was in no mood that morning for any nonsense, and when I snapped at her "NO" even the Italians around looked at me because of the evil sound in my voice-so she moved away immediately!)

And so, if anyone comes up to you Arizonagal-DO THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THEY EXPECT-YELL AT THEM IN AN UGLY MANNER "NO" or "GET AWAY FROM ME" -AND THEY WILL!)

Funny, huh? It works! (because you see, they expect you to be a dopey tourist who wants to be NICE to them, when they come up to you, and try to take and scam you-do the opposite, and it throws them off guard!) (smile)

You WILL have to be on the lookout, so you are right to think about it ahead of time. But by being alert, doing the OPPOSITE of what they expect you to do, the fact that there will be police about, and they will speak English-they'll help you, if you go up to them, I'm sure you'll get to your hotel without a problem.

P.S. Your hotel IS right by Termini-the via Filippo Turati-but it is NOT scary around there, by any means-and you are only about a 5 minute walk from Santa Maria Maggiore which is so gorgeous at night, with great little authentic Roman neighborhood restaurants all around (walk up via Carlo Alberto, which is just by your hotel- there are two great restaurants on the way to SMM-Vecchia Conchia-seafood, and one next to it, just across the street from the elegant Mecenante Palace Hotel, (p.s. this hotel, the Mecenante Palace? gets my vote for the most elegant, the most beautiful roof garden looking on SMM, and just best overall location and proximity to transportation and sights-it is gorgeous!) -excellent restaurant as well.
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:14 AM

I third Vivi's and SeaUrchen's suggestion of the scouting mission- upon arrival at the train station, use the washrooms, get a cold drink, and find a bench or quite corner.

I think if everyone feels relatively cool, calm, and collected, there is less chance of any problems. Maybe make sure to eat some protein on the train beforehand. It sounds silly, but low-blood sugar makes us dopey (and cranky and argumentative, which is a consideration after the long train ride)

One parent and one kid can go on the exploratory mission to find the hotel. The other parent and second kid can stay put with all the bags and luggage (pack light). Physically hold on to what you can and keep the others firmly between your feet.

Also, when you all go to the hotel, I'd suggest walking single file, one parent leading and the other flanking.

I honestly don't think you'll have any problems if you keep your normal wits about you, and are prepared and organized.
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The thing you can do to make this easiest, is everyone has just one piece of their own luggage to deal with. A 22" roller per person or maybe small backpacks for the kids. With your money, paperwork, etc. in some kind of bags carried securely on the two adults. I always use a taxi myself, if the hotel is more than a few blocks from the train station.

Old May 27th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think what makes tourists vulnerable is when you have too much stuff. A big pile of luggage. Or are distracted, like within a busy train station. Walking down the street, well-organized and knowing where you are headed, I don't think is usual a situation that would invite trouble.
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Geesh, reading some of these posts you will think the minute you step off the train at Termini you will be surrounded by gypsies, tramps and theives, all looking to spill stuff on you to rob you, throw their kid at you or drag you away to a rouge taxi. Please. Are there pickpockets at train stations? Yes. Will you encounter one? Probably not. Are there rouge taxis? Sure. Just ignore anyone trying to get you into their cab and head for the official taxi stand. And yelling at gypsies in English is not very effective. The more upset you get, they will either laugh at you or their cohorts will use the opportunity of your emotional outburst to rob you. Calmly look them in the eye and say in the most disinterested voice "Va Via" (loosely translated, "hit the road") and they'll know that you are wise to them.
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM

No, not true, Grinisa-why would I have said what I did, if I haven't done this, encountered this on a number of trips. I've not spent 25 years going in and out of Rome simply to say things I know nothing about-the taxi situation IS bad at Termini, and you must be careful. My best friends in Rome when the Pope died, had THREE attempts to pick the pockets of their daughter, my friend and her husband, all within two days of each other.

When a family arrives into Termini at night, with suitcases, they become a target, and they must be careful and be on the alert-and when you do scream at the, as you put it, "gypsies" I don't use that term, because I'm not sure what it means-it's too generic-then they WILL move away immediately, because they know the carabinieri will be on their ass in a second!
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:20 AM

P.S. Grinisa "Va Via" calmly said, simply means "go away" and that does nothing whatsoever-the objective is to make others look around, so their stealth tactics will be under "quattro occhi" (four eyes) as the expression goes- people will be on the look-out, including the police, who are always nearby in Termini.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -