Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Worried, did I make the wrong choice?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/worried-did-i-make-the-wrong-choice-477243/)

EmilyChicago Sep 28th, 2004 11:46 AM

Worried, did I make the wrong choice??

My fiance and have been planning our honeymoon for a long time... I knew we wanted to go to Europe because I love it there (been only to Spain and Paris) and he'd never been anywhere! We aren't tropical people, but at the same time wanted to force a relaxing beautiful vacation on ourselves so after a lot of back and forth, we settled on 7 days in the Amalfi Coast area (3 in Capri as we found an amazing hotel for a great price, and then 4 in Positano) and then 3 days in Rome. I have wanted to go to Rome since I was in middleschool and forced to study Latin for years! But now I read all these interesting threads and worry that maybe Northern Italy would have been better. I wanted to get in some touring/culture, but toi mostly check out amazingly unique cafes and small towns, drink wine, sit in the sun, and eat eat eat great food. Oh, and some shopping, because I am a die-hard shopper. I am not afraid of big cities (we live and work in Chicago), but did I make a mistake by selecting Rome vs. Florence? I know we cant get in more, because I don't want to spend too much time en route to destinations...
Anyhow, maybe I am not making sense, but I thought perhaps I could get some good insight (hopefully calming me!) from all of you travel experts. Thanks in advance.

degas Sep 28th, 2004 11:53 AM

Calm down and go to Rome. You can do all of the things you mentioned and more in that wonderful city. The Amalfi Coast fills your small town requirement.

Eloise Sep 28th, 2004 12:08 PM

You can stop worrying: You'll love Rome.

welltraveledbrit Sep 28th, 2004 12:08 PM

Dear Emily,
I sympathize with your concerns.Part of the difficulty with alot of information is sometimes it just makes you question what you've decided on.

I'm constantly second guessing my decisions...especially because everyone on the board is so opinionated and I'm not saying that's a bad thing...there are just so many contradictions! For example I love Rome but find Florence just too touristy...I love Venice but others find it overrated and overrun.

Rome is wonderful, if you have a sense for the history you will be overwhelmed by the proximity to the past.

Don't plan to do too much...I'm been to Rome on several occasions and haven't yet been to the Sistine Chapel! But I have walked and walked, seen alot of Roman Rome and really enjoyed my time there.

You can relax and enjoy the culture in Rome, just commit not to running yourself ragged. Sit at cafes and drink wine...make sure you pick some great neighborhood trattorias...and do bother to make reservations as many places do book up.

On one trip we did a walking tour with Scala Reale...it was expensive but certainly worth it because we learnt alot in one afernoon and then relaxed with much of the rest of our time.

I say go, enjoy it and remember you can always go back to see the rest!

cd Sep 28th, 2004 12:11 PM

If you love to travel, you will love anyplace you go. My favorite in Italy was Rome,(history) my husbands was Florence(upscale) but we enjoyed our time together in both. Great memories, as yours will be.

justjean2001 Sep 28th, 2004 12:15 PM

I read your post as I sat down to the computer saying to myself "why are you still looking,you have your plans made!!" Ahhh.. the angst of the second guessing traveller. Something will always sound or look better..it keeps us coming back for more.I don't think anywhere in Italy is a mistake,ENJOY!

Kavey Sep 28th, 2004 12:16 PM

Emily
Firstly, congrats on your upcoming wedding.
Secondly, don't worry. I really think you'll enjoy the trip and it's not like this has to be the last time you both travel to Europe together!
Relax, enjoy it and dream of the future!

Jackie_in_Italy Sep 28th, 2004 12:16 PM

If you've wanted to go to Rome all your life, I think you'll be happy to finally get there. I have been to Rome so many times already, but every time a new chance arises to go back, I take it immediately. It's truly and amazing city.

Florence is also nice, and worth a visit as well, but I think you are right to concentrate on the area you have chosen. You will get plenty of shopping, eating, and relaxing to do. I mean, come on. It's Italy.

skatterfly Sep 28th, 2004 12:25 PM

Try not to worry... Rome is fine especially if you want to spend the bulk of your romantic honeymoon on the Amalfi Coast. (What a fabulous honeymoon it'll be, too.)

I personally prefer Florence to Rome, not to make your decision difficult. I also like the villages of Tuscany. But those take time, and effort, and a car, to do lots of good exploring. Not what you want for your honeymoon. And by train, you would spend a lot of time and some complication getting from Florence to Amalfi or vice versa, and since you want a minimum of that, then Rome's a better place to visit. Not to mention it's probably where you'll fly into and out of. And you've always wanted to go there. So go for it. You can always come back to Florence and Tuscany for a future trip.

Relax. Enjoy it. You'll have a great time!
~kat

EmilyChicago Sep 28th, 2004 12:27 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I wont second guess any more - that was my one time, I promise! Now if only it were sooner!

mclaurie Sep 28th, 2004 12:30 PM

For your next trip you can do Rome & Florence. Something to look forward to. :) Best wishes on your upcoming wedding.

mclaurie Sep 28th, 2004 12:32 PM

Sorry, I meant Venice and Florence.

LindyE Sep 28th, 2004 06:19 PM

Rome is awesome! Go and enjoy! You'll just want to make a return trip!
Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

cmt Sep 28th, 2004 06:26 PM

I agree with McLaurie. You can take many more trips to Italy, and you can be sure to get to Florence next time.

P.S. Florence is NOT considered "northern" Italy. It's central Italy.

cigalechanta Sep 28th, 2004 06:28 PM

Young, new to wed, means plenty of years to see the rest. Enjoy youselves for you will be the beauty, not Rome.

amelia Sep 29th, 2004 03:43 AM

Your trip is beautifully designed, Emily. Enjoy.

MarkDM Sep 29th, 2004 03:52 AM

Every time I sat down to plan another trip to Italy I had the same angst- should we go here or there? I came to learn that you can't lose, there's no bad decision- as long as you're there, anywhere.

caroline_edinburgh Sep 29th, 2004 03:55 AM

Definitely Rome - except under normal circumstances, I'd change the order, to have the busier days in Rome first, then relax by the coast.

Having said that, if you are travelling directly after your weeding you'll probably need to relax straightaway - we travelled 2 days after our wedding & still spent the first 2 days of our holiday sleeping !

Jane_R Sep 29th, 2004 05:57 AM

We did pretty much your same itinerary for our honeymoon about a year ago (but did Rome first) and I can't imagine a more perfect honeymoon! You will LOVE it and it will be impossible to have any regrets! You two will have a the rest of your lives to make it back and explore the rest of the country. Congrats and have a wonderful time!
JaneR

kittrdg Sep 29th, 2004 06:20 AM

Emily Chicago - take it from fellow Chicagoan - I went to school in Rome and also have hot Amalfi a couple of times you made the right choice - Rome is magnificent and full of so much to do and see - some of my fondest memories are just hanging in a piazza with a bottle of wine and great conversation.

Amalfi and Positano are fabulous places - the food at some of the seaside places particularly in Positano are amazing and the views will leave you breathless..

I predict you won't want to return to Chicago. I didn't ended up moving to London so I can make quick trips to continent to see my beloved Italy and France.