World War 1 Battlefields in France

Mar 24th, 2000, 07:50 PM
Prue

World War 1 Battlefields in France

Does anyone have an information on Tours that go specifically to the Battlefield sites and memorials in France. I would be grateful for any help.

Mar 25th, 2000, 12:16 PM
greg

There is not much in the way of tours to the WW1 battelefields. I took my parents to the Australian war memorial near Villers Bretonneux last september and we rented a car in Paris and drove up. It was quite easily done but that was the Somme - the sites more to the north-east would have required an overnight stay.

Mar 25th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Mary Ann

In 1997, while doing independent driving of Europe, we stopped at Verdun in France. The cemetary and memorial are there. The ground still reflects the craters, now grassy from the fighting. Rick Steves France talks a little of this.

Mar 25th, 2000, 05:12 PM
Al

If you go to Ypres, take along a copy of
Leon Wollf's "In Flanders Fields." It will enable you to conduct a do-it-yourself tour. All the sights are still there--Passchendaele, Polygon Woods (with its huge Australian cemetery), Tyne Cot (the largest British military cemetery), Langemarck, the Menin Gate, Pilcken Ridge, Messines, etc. I did it all on foot. With a car, you can cover much more ground. An even better way is to us a bicycle--you get a feel for the ground that way.

Mar 25th, 2000, 06:37 PM
greg

I forgot to mention that the site "Austalia in the Great War" http://www.pitt.edu/~novosel/aussi.htm has some links relevant to this area, in particular a site maintained by the Somme regional authority.

Mar 26th, 2000, 06:56 AM
alison

Try www.battletours.co.uk. not used them myself but they do do tours of battlefields around the world incl. WWI belgium + france...

Mar 26th, 2000, 07:15 PM
Prue

Thank you all for your information - I posted this query for a friend who is not on the internet and I know he will find it all very useful.