World Court at The Hague

Jul 23rd, 2001, 11:43 AM
Kris

World Court at The Hague

In scanning the tourist guides as well as this site, I found very few references to the World Court at The Hague. Has anyone ever been there? Any recommendations re visiting the World Court? Thanks!

Jul 23rd, 2001, 12:21 PM
Sheila

Now there's a rave from the grave! I haven't thought about that in years. I visited with my sister in 1977 or 78. They did a guided tour back then; and I thought it very moving given the ideals it symbolised. It's called the International Court of Justice

Jul 23rd, 2001, 12:43 PM
A.M.

Hello Sheila,
Now this is very wierd, I was there in Nov.77 and thought the same thing. I wonder if it's much different with these changing times.
A.M.

Nov 28th, 2006, 03:30 AM

Wonder if anyone has more to add to this post? I think it'd be fascinating to visit while at the Hague. As always, thank you.
Nov 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM

I was there in October of 2004 with the American Bar Association and we took a tour; but, as it was all pre-arranged, I have no idea as to how to set it up. It was a very interesting place to visit. We were even able to have a Q & A with the American judge serving on the court. I highly recommend it if you can work it out. You might try looking at their website http://www.icj-cij.org/ to see how to contact them. Good luck and have a great trip.
Nov 28th, 2006, 09:04 AM

I happened to be walking by the court one day in 2005 and saw a group of folks going thru the rather intense security screening and just followed them in - i didn't know that only pre-arranged groups were allowed in but i soon suspected that was the case - i did get up to the palatial main building but then turned back to the gate as the group disappeared and i was the only person left wandering around so felt rather itimidated.

So much for the intense secruity screening!
Nov 28th, 2006, 09:24 AM

here's a link for the ICJ homepage. Unfortunately I couldn't find any info about visiting.

http://www.icj-cij.org/icjwww/icjhome.htm
Nov 30th, 2006, 05:55 AM

I think the worldcourt cannot be visited. However the Peace palace in The Hague can and is also very interesting.
Check:
http://www.holland.com/denhaag/gb/in...acepalace.html

We were lucky and could join a small group, but usually advance reservations are best.