Working on a itinerary for a trip to Munich, Prague, Budapest and Vienna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am beginning to work on our next trip to Europe, We want to visit Munich, Prague, Budapest and Vienna. We will have 3 weeks and wish to travel by train between the cities. My problem is which order. We will be flying from Charlotte NC to Munich via Lufthansa. My thought is to get a train at the airport to the first city and save Munich for last so we get a morning in Munich the day we fly home as the flight is around 1 PM back to the states. We have been to Europe several times and are comfortable traveling by train.

Suggestions on the order ? Keep in mind , we will have an overnight flight from the States.

In addition, suggestions on things not to miss in each city, we enjoy history and local culture and food, of course....

Thanks
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 12:31 PM

Consider booking a multi-city or open jaw air ticket where you fly into one city and out of another. That will save back tracking.

If you stay in Munich the night before your flight home consider a 1 pm flight, getting to the airport an hour or two ahead for security, consider the 45 min s-bahn ride from downtown with another 15-20 minutes waiting for the right tram. You're probably heading for the airport by 9-9:30. You won't have a lot of sight seeing time that day.
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 07:20 PM

Given your objectives, you should hope a train to Vienna on arrival, then go to Budapest, then Prague, then Munich
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 09:06 PM
kja

I agree that an open jaw ticket would be best. If that isn't an option, then I would think it well worth considering putting all of your time in your departure city at the END of your trip. You'll be tired when you get there, but you'll be tired under any circumstance, and going straight to another destination would cut your hotel stays by one....

As for what to see, IME, the Rough Guides provide particularly extensive coverage.
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 01:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As to an open jaw: if you are using USAirways/Lufthansa then no it isn't an option; if you are using Lufthansa alone or a Lufthansa/USAirways codeshare to return then it might be but you are probably going to end up going back through Munich anyway.

If you are going to take a train from Munich be aware that you will almost undoubtedly have to travel into the main Munich rail station from the airport although you COULD travel to the Munich East rail station depending on your first destination.

I would NOT PLAN any "mornings in Munich" on the day you fly home. Why? The airport is out of the city and it takes at least 1/2 hour-45 minutes to get there by rail/taxi. The last time we left from Munich it definitely took a while to check in and get through security, etc.

Your flight out day should be left to that activity and "do" Munich on days prior to that one.