Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Working Itinerary for Normandy & Brittany

Apr 6th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Pausanias

Many thanks to all who encouraged this trip, even given the season. Here's what I've come up with:

Fri Aug 4 Depart NY

Sat Aug 5 Arrive CDG. Rent car, Drive to Les Andelys. Hotel: La Chaine d’Or. PM -- Chateau Gaillard

Sun Aug 6 Drive to Rouen via Lyons-la-Foret. Hotel: Cathedral or Cardinal.

Mon Aug 7 In Rouen. Walk to Abbey

Tues Aug 8 Etratet. Cliff walk.

Wed Aug 9 Honfleur Hotel Cheval Blanc

Thurs Aug 10 Bayeaux Stop in Caen for war museum. Tapestry & Town. Hotel Lion d’Or

Fri Aug 11 In Bayeaux. D-Day beaches, cemetary, town.

Sat Aug 12 Mont St-Michelle. Hotel Les Terrasses Poulard

Sun Aug 13 Dinan. Hotel d’Avaugour To Coast

Mon Aug 14 Dinan. To Fougeres

Tues Aug 15 Cote de Granit Rose (enroute Dance of Death Murals)

Wed Aug 16 Cote de Granit Rose (Visit parish closes)

Thurs Aug 17 Paimpont Le Relais de Broceliande

Fri Aug 18 Sees Dauphin Hotel

Sat Aug 19 Senlis. Stop in Vitre enroute.

Sun Aug 20 Depart CDG.

As you can see the beginning of the trip is a little busy. I was considering just stopping in Honfleur for a walk around town and lunch, and moving the extra day to Dinan. This would have the advantage of moving M St-M to a Friday.

The hotels are just suggestions. Where no hotel is listed nothing has jumped out at me, yet.

Our main interests are medieval architecture, scenic walks, good food and drink. A few hours trout fishing wouldn't be bad. B&W photography is another interest -- mostly architecture and landscapes. If you know of a hidden little church . . .

Appreciate any feedback.

Apr 6th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Try to find the church of Loc Envel.
Apr 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Be sure you trek to the wall's edge in Dinan overlooking the valley. Spectacular photographic opportunity.
Apr 6th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Are you aware that most (perhaps all) the shops will be closed on Sunday in Rouen, and probably Monday morning too? In my Michelin Red guide, there are 10 restaurants recommended. All but 1 are closed on Sunday, and all but 4 are also closed on Monday. Shops will be closed on Sunday in Dinan also. I think many towns look kinda dreary when all the stores are closed and many owners pull down aluminum shutters over their pretty storefronts, and the shutters are often filled with graffiti.

I would swap Honfleur & Rouen - things are open in Honfleur on Sunday & Monday (everyne from Rouen will be there).

Stu Dudley
Apr 6th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Pausanias

Thanks for the comments. Loc Envel looks beautiful but is a bit off our path. Planning to walk all the walls of Dinan.

Stu --

So you think it's a better idea to drive directly to Honfleur for Sunday, Etretat for Monday, and backtrack to Rouen for Tuesday/Wednesday? I keep forgetting how closed up things get on Sunday. Mainly I was trying to avoid the coast on weekends. If I'm reading the guidebooks correctly it appears that some hotels shut down for a night or two a week!

Apr 6th, 2006, 11:18 AM

August weekends in Honfleur bring VERY LARGE crowds. The town has virtually everything you're looking for: charming half-timbered houses, cobbled streets, lovely habor, fine restaurants, but you'd enjoy it more at midweek, as you've scheduled, and especially in the early morning and mid-to-late evening. I would not give it up.
Apr 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Pausanias

So maybe Etretat on Sunday, Back to Rouen for Mon/Tues, and Honfleur on Wed, which involves a little less backtracking, too?

Apr 6th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Why not visit Fougères on the way to Dinan instead of backtracking? You could easily visit the castle after you leave Mont St-Michel.

In Caen, do see the Abbaye des Dames and the Abbaye des Hommes; the latter is now part of the town hall. There's close-by safe underground parking.
Apr 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM

P.S. At La Chaîne d'Or in Petit Andelys, please have the hot apple tart with Calvados for me. Sigh.
Apr 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Pausanias

Underhill --

Yes, thanks, I'll stop in Fougeres enroute to Dinan. Don't know what I was thinking as I stared at the maps.

Apple tart sounds perfect.

And thanks again for the articles you e-mailed.