working at a small inn or bed & breakfast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is familiar with running a small inn or bed and breakfast - can you help me with a few questions:

I would like to learn about the business by volunteering or working in a small business run inn or B&B for a few months next summer (2012). I thought this would give me a realistic view of what it is about rather than rush in to purchase something without much prior experience in owning or running a business. I would prefer to do this in England.

I know there is a professional organization call Prof Assoc of Inn Keeers, and I plan to contact them as well - but woud like some first hand thoughts from those who have been involved in inn
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you really can't work in the UK legally - even on a volunteer basis w/ a business. (there are ways to volunteer for charities and such --but not AFAIK for something like what you describe)

Maybe think about learning the business in the States . . .
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 02:17 PM

Hi nanabee,

I own a B&B in Stratford, Ontario and would be willing to answer questions/share experiences <B>BUT</B> not until October as we are entering our high season and I will basically be working 7 days a week for the next couple of months. A couple of quick thoughts however:

- Working at a B&B will give you <I>some</I> idea of what tasks there are but the joy of B&Bs and small inns is that they are unique in their aesthetic and operation. You will no more know how B&Bs work by working at one than you would know what it's like to stay at B&Bs by staying at just one. Some places offer full breakfasts, some just continental. Some owners send their laundry out, some do their own (that's what I'm doing right now).

- If you really want a realistic experience you should work at a B&B/Inn where you intend to buy. Operating a B&B in Stratford is very different from a small English village which will be different from somewhere else.

- Be prepared to clean up lots of hair - lots and lots of hair.

You can contact me directly with questions in a couple of months at ern (at) acrossthebridgebandb (dot) ca
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much G Hooper for your generous offer - I will contact you sometime in October.

And janisj - good suggestion regarding the difficuty of working in England. Two areas come to mind if I stay in the California area and that would be the Napa area and Santa Barbara. These two areas seem to attrack lots of B&B's.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 04:46 PM

Running a B&B isn;ta hoby - itsa business. And if you don;t already own a suitable property - a business requiring a significant investment.

Before you go much further suggest you develop a basic business plan. If you don;t know how 1)take a course and learn and 2) you don;t have a chance inhek of not going broke.

At a minimum you need to know what your costs will be and, realisticay, how much you can charge and how often you will have to fill the rooms to make your expenses. And if you are planning on getting a mortgage realize this sin;t like getting one for a house - foruse as a buiness property the bank will expect to see that business plan. (Unless you mean just to rent out a room or 2 in your current house.)
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

thanks nytraveler.
Before I would even consider buying a B&B or any business I would want to actually work in the business to get to understand it better. I don't want to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and find out it's not the type of business I thought it would be.

I attended a conference of small inn owners (PAII) and that was what most recommended prior to putting forth a great deal of money was to become more familiar with how it is run and operated.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 08:10 PM

Nanabee,

Years ago, I had the same idea, but wanted an old mansion in SC. I looked at lots of properties. Then, DH bought me a couple of books on Inn Keeping and running B&Bs. One was Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Running a Bed and Breakfast. It detailed all kinds of B&Bs, legal stuff, cleaning, furnishings, advertising, emergencies and problem situations. If you can find that or some other books, they might be of some help. That was the book that made me decide it was more work and time than I ever wanted to put into it. However, it could be just the opposite for you. Good luck with your quest.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 08:27 PM

The three main reasons why small businesses fail after opening:

1. Not enough capital to keep running for at least six months, if not a year;

2. Lacked knowledge of that business; and

3. Did not keep good enough records to know were the money is coming and going.

You are attacking one of the most important aspects, good for you.

As I suggested in another B & B topic, invite the relatives you hate the most to stay with you for a week and wait on them hand and foot. That could be a valuable lesson in your B & B education.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 07:10 AM

It would be an option for you to enrol at a college her in the UK. The courses are usually called something like "Hospitality Management" As a student you can work 20 hours per week and full time in holidays.