Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wonderful reading for a trip to Spain (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wonderful-reading-for-a-trip-to-spain-93986/)

Nina Nov 16th, 2000 05:50 PM

Wonderful reading for a trip to Spain

I am leaving for Spain on the 21st of Dec. and would love some suggestions for engrossing, well written novels (historical or not) that have something to do with Spain. Spanish authors or otherwise... <BR>Gracias..

Art Nov 16th, 2000 07:28 PM

I can't remember the name right now but James Michner's book on Iberia was great. It combines a lot of history in a novel setting. If you've never read Michner the first 100 pages run very slow as he sets up the environment but than they get very interesting. The book's name may in fact be Iberia. <BR>

Annette Nov 16th, 2000 08:07 PM

Gabriel Garcia Marquez' short story collection, Strange Pilgrims, which features Latin American characters adrift in Europe, has three stories set in Barcelona.

mA Nov 17th, 2000 04:30 AM

Well, for starters "Don Quixote de La Mancha". This was my absolute favorite book in middle school because I thought it was hilarious. Then, I read again as an adult and it made me cry like a baby. Cervantes is a genius. In 1998, I drove thru La Mancha just to recreate the images of Don Quixote's journey. Standing in front of the windmills at Consuegra still such a precious memory..... <BR> <BR>Hemingway's "The Sun also Rises", which catapulted Pamplona's Run of the Bulls old tradition to the international spotlight is another suggestion. Paulo Coelho (Brazilian author) is also a very popular Latin American author. "The Alchemist" about an Andalucian sheperd boy and "By the River Piedra I sat down and Wept" are two of his best books. "The Alchemist" was my favorite. <BR> <BR>Juan Ramon Jimenez ("Platero and I"; beautiful book) and Camilo Jose Cela ("The Family of Pascual Duarte") were also favorite authors of mine growing up, their most popular novels are translated to English. I also recommend Federico Garcia Lorca but be forwarned that his books (plays mostly) are very intense ("Blood Wedding", "The House of Bernarda Alba"), but again, I STRONGLY recommend him. <BR> <BR>Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Mario Vargas Llosa are Latin American authors, most of their books are absolute gems. My favorite Garcia Marquez book is "One Hundred Years of Solitude", but start him with some of his other books like "Love in the Time of Cholera" or "Chronicles of a Foretold Death". Talk about gripping, engrossing, amazing reading. From Vargas Llosa I read "Dona Julia y El Escribidor" (can't recall the english title) and it made me laugh so hard. Isabel Allende is only OK, in my opinion. My favorite of hers is "Eva Luna", which I read in English. <BR> <BR>Nina, you are soooo lucky, going to Spain at Christmastime!!! (sob!!) <BR> <BR>HAVE THE BEST TIME!!!

Kristi Nov 17th, 2000 05:28 AM

In addition to Hemingway's "The Sun also Rises" which was already mentioned, there's also "For Whom the Bell Tolls" set during the Spanish Civil War. <BR> <BR>Also, if you're planning a trip to Granada to see the Alhambra, Washington Irving's "Tales of the Alhambra" is worth a read.

Dave Nov 17th, 2000 05:40 AM

"The Mezuzah in the Madonna's Foot" by Trudi Alexey tells of some of the history of Spain and its Jews.

SharonM Nov 17th, 2000 05:50 AM

Art, <BR>The name of the book is "Iberia" but it is totally non-fiction. Michener's "The Drifters", also set mostly in Spain, is a novel. (one of my favorites!) <BR> <BR> <BR>sam

Art Nov 17th, 2000 07:32 AM

Thank you Sharen. I got the two mixed up. <BR>

maria Nov 17th, 2000 01:47 PM

Nina, <BR> <BR>Camilo Jose Cela's "Journey to the Alcarria" is absolutely beautiful. Non fiction about a small trip he made through the Alcarria region of Spain (La Mancha) after the Spanish Civil War. Also, for fiction, the more contemporary The Sevile Communion by Arturo Perez Reverte is a great mystery set in Seville. <BR>Have a great trip, Maria

Nina Nov 20th, 2000 08:20 AM

Muchismas Gracias for all the suggestions about good books to read about Spain.... What a wonderful list of books to check out at Borders!! I truely do appreciate it... Now, I am off to my spanish class. There is still time until I leave, so if any one has any more ideas, please do leave me word. Adios y gracias!!

Maira Oct 17th, 2003 09:14 AM

TTT for AnnetteTX.

annettetx Oct 17th, 2003 09:28 AM

thanks!
Annette