Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   won a free trip to the british open! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/won-a-free-trip-to-the-british-open-668045/)

frankpkeller Jan 7th, 2007 11:25 AM

won a free trip to the british open!

so now that I know where Carnoustie, Scotland is, what to do before and/or after the open? Golf in scotland would be cool, but there are other family members to consider. I hear good things about Edinburgh (are there ferries to the netherlands or baltics from there?) What about, amsterdam, bruges, paris (been to paris but would go again)? Could use some help/ideas frank

meks Jan 7th, 2007 11:59 AM

You can take the ferry from Rosyth (just north of Edinburgh) to Zeebrugge in Belgium www.superfast.com I did that last year as it included an offer of a three or five night stay in Bruges . We stayed at the Hotel Prinsenhof www.prinsenhof.com which I can highly recommend, as the packages frequently give you a choice of hotels. The ferry was excellent, the pre paid buffet was very good and leaving Rosyth in the late afternoon enabled us to arrived in Zeebrugge in the morning giving us more time to see everything. Local transportation was included and it took us straight to our hotel. If you take the all inclusive packages offer then you could do it prior to or after the Open Golf. The packages are available through both Osprey Holidays www.osprey-holidays.co.uk and Sphere Travel www.sphere-travel.co.uk
Edinburgh is excellent for a holiday at anytime and as you will be nearby at Carnoustie then it would be a pity to miss such an opportunity.

janisj Jan 7th, 2007 12:38 PM

You won a free trip to one of the best places on Earth and you want to take a ferry across the North sea??

OK - why isn't just staying in Scotland enough? There is a LOT more to Scotland than just Edinburgh and golf (though both of those are world famous/wonderful). How long is your entire trip? How many of you? What sorts of things do you enjoy?

Why not do some research on this forum and on DESTINATIONS above and answer a couple of the questions above and we can help you work out an itinerary.

(and if you are still set on leaving Scotland - you can easily fly to most any major city in Europe from Edinburgh and/or Glasgow.)

batraveler Jan 7th, 2007 04:13 PM

We, too, are going to Carnoustie (although we didn't win our tickets) and are spending the remainder of our holiday in Scotland. I would not go anywhere else - this will be our third time there. Scotland has SO MUCH to see and do for all ages and is so rich in history. It is one country I would seriously consider moving to.

frankpkeller Jan 7th, 2007 06:27 PM

thanks for the feedback, true, I do have a knack for trying to pack too much in on a vacation.
yes,of course scotland has much to offer and I would be best starting there. My background is theology and philosophy (history is a given) I have been to england and ireland (fully enjoyed both)
I just feel like a kid in a candy store. my trip can be anywhere from one to two weeks and am open to all suggestions
the ferry sounds interesting as I really would like to visit amsterdam but at the same time don't want to blow off scotland. I am looking forward to visiting edinburgh (i hear it is lovely)and although I like to play golf my wife, daughter and mother in law do not. This would leave time to see more of scotland
so I guess i should begin there. where else could I go in scotland and still leave a side trip to amsterdam open? frank

hanl Jan 7th, 2007 10:15 PM

Hi,
If you are really set on seeing Amsterdam, then I wouldn't bother trying to take the ferry. It's very time consuming! Unless you have a particularly reason to want to take a car across, I'd fly instead: Easyjet have very cheap direct flights from Edinburgh to Amsterdam.

That said, if it were me I'd spend the whole time in Scotland.

5alive Jan 7th, 2007 11:39 PM

If you have two weeks available I would take it. And if so, I would visit a bit of England in addition to Scotland. An obvious add would be Northern England, especially York if you are going by train. It is one place I regret not going when I lived in England! You could also add the Lake District or the Yorkshire Countryside if you are renting a car.

If your flights are to London and then a transfer to Scotland, then you could see London or areas around it as well. Do a lot of searches on this board. I'd say good luck, but you obviously already have plenty if you won a free trip!

sheila Jan 8th, 2007 12:10 AM

If you want to build a holiday round theology, golf and philosophy, you could hardly be better placed right here in Scotland.

You have Knox, and the Protestant Reformation, Montrose and the Covenanters, the 19th century splits in the Church of Scotland, Hume and the Edinburgh Enlightenment, Adam Smith and modern economics, and some of the best golf courses in the world, in some of the best scenerey. Whar more could you ask??

MissPrism Jan 8th, 2007 12:24 AM

Canon Chasuble is Scottish and a golfer.

He would give a loud "Hrrumph" at the expression "British Open".
It is "The Open"

frankpkeller Jan 8th, 2007 06:23 PM

shiela - I agree wholeheartedly! The only thing I think I would add is Amsterdam. the Dutch masters, ann frank etc. Flying from edinburgh sounds like the best bet(a short flight)
a week in scotland then a few days in amsterdam (maybe a quick day trip to brugges) and then home (maybe in time to enjoy the other "open")
much appreciation for all your help,
which begs the next question;
hotels in edinburgh and possible day trips from there (trying to limit the unpacking and packing)
all the best frank