Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > women traveling on train from prague to budapest

women traveling on train from prague to budapest

Mar 29th, 2001, 06:37 PM
tslindsay

women traveling on train from prague to budapest

I would like information about whether first or second class would be the "safest" for 2 women traveling from prague to budapest in early june. Is raileurope the best place to purchase tickets in the states or would we assured of reserved seats if we purchased these train tickets on our arrival in prague? thank you.

Mar 29th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Linda

We (2 women) who made that journey in November '97, traveled 2nd class in compartments with no problems and without reservations. I would buy the tickets in Europe, cheaper. It is about an 8-hour train ride so buy food and drinks to take with you. Compartments, to me, are safer and more enjoyable. There is a bakery near Wenceslas Statue where we purchased great croissant sandwiches, kolaces, etc. for about $3 each. The train station that you leave to Budapest has fewer pickpocket-types than the larger station.

Mar 29th, 2001, 11:37 PM
ldsant

I did this train ride by myself (was travelling alone throughout Europe). I had a Eurailpass that I had purchased here though - I think it depends if you're planning on going elsewhere in Europe as to whether or not you'll save $$. The big difference between 1st and 2nd (I had a 1st class ticket, but usually took the 2nd class seats) is a bit more padding on the seats. It's really not worth the cost IMHO. Have a wonderful time! You do need to make sure that you have a reserved seat though. If you're non-smokers make sure you get a seat in the non-smoking section - otherwise the trip is a bit more difficult (breathing wise!).

Mar 30th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Alice the Magyar

Hi, I will be doing the reverse of what you are doing, at the same time. Budapest to Prague, I will be going by myself, so I sure hope it is safe! I am in my mid 40's. I do know that it much cheaper to get your tickets there. I will be wearing my fodorites blue ribbon, so look for me! I am about 5'2" , heavy set, curly brown hair, short to medium lenght. Have lots of fun, I go to Hungary every year and I will try to add another country on my trip from now on. Alice

Apr 1st, 2001, 03:35 AM
Graziella

Warning! for those of you NOT traveling with US passports check if
your train goes through SLovakia.If it does,

This country requires a transit visa for citizens of many countries,.....

Search this Thread