Women Traveling Alone

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Women Traveling Alone

I will be traveling alone this summer to Prague, Budapest, Warsaw, and Vienna. Are there any problems that I might run into traveling as a woman alone? I have been to Japan and China alone, but I want to know how Europe would work. So any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:54 PM

Avoid eye contact with men...it is viewed as an initiation of contact. Also try wearing a fake wedding band. Other than that just use commen sense.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:02 PM

..agree in part with the previous poster. Behave as you would in any large city. Choose a hotel/hostel in a safe area (even if it costs a bit more). If in a safe area you will feel comfortable staying out a little later in the evening otherwise you will be paying for cabs. Most of t he "big" tourists spots are safe with a lot of street traffic (except these ares do attract pickpockets). I dont think a wedding band is necessary..besides it declares you off limits to everyone...(though a trick in eastern europe is to wear it on your r hand which declares you off limits to locals). If you have any specific questions re location of hotel and safety use this site..someone always seems to know.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:44 PM

She didn't say she wanted to be immune from men! Fake wedding ring indeed! Why not tell her to black out her teeth and glue on a mustache or fake warts.

Sara feg, just be as careful as you would in your own country and you will not have any extra problems in the cities you mentioned.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:52 PM

It was just a suggestion...if she wants to meet some local guys then she obviously wouldn't take it. I have traveled alone in Italy and been grabbed and followed in very public areas. It depends on the contact you are looking for.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:05 PM

Sorry, CarrieK, I was writing with a wry smile but you couldn't see that!

Have fun sara feg and don't worry, plenty of women travel alone now days. Put in a search here on Fodors and you will see so many posts confirming that idea.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:21 PM

I travel alone and wouldn't have it any other way! - I have never had a problem. Just act naturally. (i.e. use common sense!) Stay alert. ... My goodness, if you have already been to Japan and China alone (in such male dominant countries at that!) you are fine. You must be doing something right. Why are you so nervous? ... Just keep doing what you are doing
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 06:08 PM
P_M

Thanks for a great laugh, nocinonut, if I ever go back to Istanbul I will consider your suggestions for deterring the men!! Not to flatter myself, it's not like I'm drop dead gorgeous, nor am I chopped liver, but the men wouldn't leave me alone in Istanbul. And the (real) wedding ring I wear didn't help at all....however, it was winter and I was wearing gloves, so maybe that's why.

Sara feg, you are obviously an experienced traveller and I'm sure you'll be OK in those cities. I have travelled alone many times in Europe, and as you have probably guessed, the only place where I didn't feel perfectly safe was Istanbul. But others might have a different experience there, that was just mine. Have a great trip!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all...I will keep your suggestions in mind. I really have no fear of traveling alone in these countries, but since I have only done Asia, I don't know how the men are in Europe. I have never run into a problem in Asia, yet I don't want to be nieve and ignorant, so thanks! And, I don't want to attract men, I have a steady relationship but he cannot travel like I. But dont get me wrong, I LOVE traveling alone and wouldn't have it any other way!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:11 PM

I haven't been to those places. But here's a suggestion from my recent trip to Paris: don't go to a cafe and be the last person there. The waiter (manager?) decided to give me all of his attention and started seriously hitting on me.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:47 PM

And I thought cafes were places where you could be left alone-if you wanted!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:21 PM

Hi Sara_feg, It just happens that I travelled to three of your destinations alone. In May I was in Prague for a week and two weeks in other parts of Czech Republic. I went to Vienna in May as well. And I was in Budapest couple of years ago.

I will be afraid to go to China or Japan alone and I feel safe in Europe! I have travelled alone to some countries in Europe and I am going to another one soon.

You seem like a very exeprienced traveller. I will share with you the experience I had in your destination cities as a female.

In Budapest, Prague and Vienna I stayed from 5 star to 2 star hotels that were considered good establishments and recommended mainly by Fodors and they all had one thing in common: they were in the sections of the city that stayed awake till late hours of night and many tourists and/or locals were walking around.

During the day there is generally no problem. In Prague I was advised by local women I met to be aware of Gypsies. They told me they sit around with shopping bags and they will act as if they are tourists and they pickpocket. I disapprove when people stereotype any group but unfortunately they were proven right!!! Well, it almost happened to me but I dodged it in time and they actually had shopping bags!!! In general, watch for pickpockets in Prague in crowded areas. But we need to watch for that in any city!

I stayed out till 11:00 PM or midnight every night in these crowded areas near my hotel, even had dinner or sat down in a coffee shop. I only went to concerts, Opera or shows if I knew that I can walk among tourists/locals to my hotel.

I never wore a wedding band. I did not make eye contact with anyone. I also avoided wearing any make up, not even lipstick. And wore clothes that were very plain and modest. Basically, I tried to stay as invisible as possible.
I avoided any sort of quiet streets at night even if it was close to my hotel. I was also very alert of my surroundings. The basic cautionary rules that applies when we are traveling alone.

In general in Prague I absolutely had no problem with men.

I only noticed two times that trouble might be in the air with men. One was in Vienna and one in Budapest. In both cases since I was in the tourist area and not too far from my hotel late at night, I felt safe and either returned to my hotel or discouraged the man by my body language.

I think these countries are easy places to travel for solo females. But that is based on my experience.

I wrote too much Have fun!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:43 PM

All good tips, I am planning my solo trip to Europe too Sara. I am looking forward to it, I think it will be a new kind of adventure and I might dance nude on my porch if I have one.