Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Woman traveling alone-Naples or Sorrento?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I had planned to travel with a group of friends to Rome (where we were to rent an apartment), Naples and a quick stop in Capri for my 40th birthday. But as thhe airfares started to climb, my pals bailed and the group is now down to just the birthday girl. No biggie. I've gone to Rome by myself several times. So, I've taken an apartment there for a week, and decided against making any side trips. EXCEPT, now I'm kind of wanting to maybe take a side trip.
So, question for the group: Is it relatively safe and hassle-free to take an early train to Naples and check out the city for the day--maybe stay one night over, or should I go all the way to Sorrento and stay a night there? Since the apartment is already booked, I don't want to spend more than one night away. Dimmi, cosa ne pensano?
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Happy Birthday! It sounds like a fun trip. Check out this site: http://www.posillipodream.it/index2.htm

I haven't been here but I'm anxious to try it after seeing the delightful lady on a foodnetwork show. I think itn would be a fun overnight from Rome. She'll also give cooking classes.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:56 AM

I LOVED Naples. I don't think I would have wanted to be out walking alone late at night near the train station, but I think you would be perfectly fine in broad daylight. Naples is a fabulous city.

Just aim to be back at your hotel by 9 or 10pm and you should be totally fine.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

I meant to write "Cosa ne pensate" (sigh) Excuse my tense trouble. Oh, and my trip is July 3-11
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:12 AM

As a woman who travelled solo to Naples, Sorrento & Capri last year I can say, you should have no problems. Granted, as in any big city you should take precautions, so no dark alleys or wandering around late at night in Naples would be obivous. Sorrento on the other hand was wonderfully safe (IMO) at any time. In Naples I stayed at the Excelsior and found the neighborhood around it very safe and friendly. It is a pretty easy hydrofoil trip to Sorrento (about 40min) or Capri--which is a bit further. As for Sorrento or Naples, it depends on what you're looking for. Naples to me is a city, with a certain grittiness-- but still a wonderful place. Sorrento on the other hand, is beautiful and more of a vacation locale, with lots of shoppes selling lemon everything (liquor, plates, dishes, clothes etc). So if you're looking to just stoll the streets in a relaxing manner go to Sorrento or Capri, for more culture, city life--Naples. In any event, try to get to Pompeii (quick train ride and situated between Naples & Sorrento).
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Absolutely Sorrento! Stay by the water. You will feel comfortable walking around in the evening through the old parts. I would never do that in Naples. Depending on what time of the year you are traveling...Positano can be difficult in terms of terrain and it gets very quiet there for fun things to do if it's the off season.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 11:20 AM
ira

Hi sb,

Naples is an amazing city. We found it no less safe than other large cities we have visited.

Be sure to visit the Capella Sansevero.

You might find this helpful:
http://www.funkytraveller.com/Pages/...ope/napoli.htm

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Hi Sboobydoo, I truly love Naples but if I were by myself I would personally choose to stay in Sorrento. Nighttime would be more relaxing. Also, Sorrento would be a nice change from beautiful Rome. Have a wonderful time and Happy Birthday! Hope you will be able to file a trip report.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 01:47 PM

They are very different places, but I liked them both. I think I have to agree with LoveItaly about Sorrento being a nice change of pace after Rome, though. Be sure to wave to us on the webcam!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I'm taking Lisa H's suggestion and spend a night in Sorrento (sounds like a song, doesn't it?). Since I work in NYC, and will be going to Rome, a change of pace is in order. I'll have to save exploring Naples for another, less muggy, season. And thanks for the kind birthday wishes. So, where's this webcam?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Be sure to check out Ms_Go's photos of Sorrento. The webcam site is in the photos.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgTopFr...=2&start=0
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Just got back from a cruise that stopped in Naples. This is the second time I have been there but didn't spend 1 minute more then I had to. I do not like that city, (and I like cities!) Even the TV show Passport to Europe has trouble selling it as a vacation stop. Its just big, dirty, aggressive (to the max) and even if it has the best museums on the planet, I'd check it out and leave pronto! Now Sorrento, thats a different story. Its lovely, relaxing, the people are nice, the sea is lovely and you can even take a train to Pompeii for a few hours, and that really is something. Just adding my 2 cents.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:39 PM

I am a woman and spent a week in Naples alone and loved it! Walking down those vicoli and finding a hole-in-the-wall making pizza over a wood fire, with those tomatoes grown in volcanic soil...omg. I am ready to go right now. Sorrento, to me, is an ok, beach resort, a little tired. But Naples is colorful and fun. The Capodimonte museum is also fascinating -- amazingly detailed manger scenes. Auguri!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Sboobydoo, I too celebrated my 40th birthday in Italy alone. None of my friends wanted to travel. I flew into Rome and took the train to Sorrento my first night. My hotel room overlooked the water and I sat in the restaurant outside and sipped a glass of wine and gazed at the cruise ship twinkling with lights in the distance, I thought life just dosen't get much better than this. Have a great trip. Oh, by the way, I also went to Naples so either choice is fine but Sorrento has very special memories for me.