Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Woman traveling alone (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/woman-traveling-alone-226504/)

marina May 29th, 2002 07:29 PM

Woman traveling alone

How safe is it for a woman to travel alone on the train in Europe? any comments?

StCirq May 29th, 2002 07:38 PM

Very safe. I travel on trains alone all the time. It's very safe. Not to worry.

Terra May 30th, 2002 01:24 AM

Hi There<BR><BR>Living in Europe, I take the train by myself a LOT. Of course you have to be aware of your surroudings, but that goes for everyone, not just single women! <BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>Terra

x May 30th, 2002 02:47 AM

On my first train trip out of Rome, a handsome stranger from Calabria sat next to me and proceeded to steal my heart. So yes, it's quite dangerous ; )

Vita May 30th, 2002 05:00 AM

Do you mean travel during the day or overnight? I've travelled by day with no problems. I would think you'd have to exercise a little more caution overnight in terms of protecting your belongings, but no first-hand experience.

elvira May 30th, 2002 05:36 AM

I have travelled on overnight ferries, overnight trains, and trains that arrive after dark - with no problems. But I don't get stupid - if I'm arriving late at night, I make sure that my hotel is waiting for me, that I can easily walk to the hotel or that taxis/public transportation are available; I don't announce to anyone "hey I'm traveling by myself, I'm going to xxx, and my cabin # is..."; my luggage tags hide my name and address. I strike up conversations with fellow passengers, but specific details about my hotel location and itinerary aren't up for discussion.

Ursula May 30th, 2002 05:42 AM

Marina: Everything depends on where and at what time of the day resp the night.<BR>I don't think Europe is more dangerous than any other part of this world.<BR>Have fun!

Wilma May 30th, 2002 06:19 AM

I've travelled alone in Europe since I was 17, and I still (33 yrs. later) feel safer in Europe than in the US.

Melissa May 31st, 2002 02:13 AM

I just got back from a solo trip and it was safe. Like everyone says, just be aware of your surroundings. There was one wierdo that I remember on the train from Munich to Paris, he kept looking into my train cabin and was not being inconspicuous. Other than that, though, it was safe and comfortable.<BR><BR>I was lucky to have an American roomie in my night train to Prague--she was very nice. I shared my fruits with her and she shared her water!

Hiho May 31st, 2002 02:23 AM

Don't do it.

Gitta May 31st, 2002 07:10 AM

I live in Europe, and it has never accured to me that it could be dangerous. And I must move around, too, I cannot just sit at home. I am 52 years old, and at least to this day nothing has happened to me. My parents stopped accompanying me when I was 14. After that, should I just have sat in one place?<BR><BR>And nothing happened in Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Malaysia, Thailand, Cuba and other places either.<BR><BR>

Jennifer May 31st, 2002 07:33 AM

Europe is a rather large area! I would imagine that it would be safer taking a day train in Paris than a night train in Russia, but I don't know that for a fact.<BR><BR>Jennifer

Holly May 31st, 2002 08:11 AM

It is not wise to sit in a completely empty car. Find one with at least a few people in it.

overnight May 31st, 2002 08:52 AM

If you have the chance and can afford the price, booking a private cabin on an overnight train ride, is pretty fun! I've done it solo, female Geneva/Venice and Venice/Paris.<BR><BR>Not a 'couchette' which could be up to 6 mixed-sex, but the 'wagon-lit' which you can pay extra for a single or you might share w/ 1 other woman.<BR><BR>

Judy Jun 1st, 2002 12:38 AM

I have traveled solo by trains and buses in Europe quite often, generally speaking, it is safe on the train. However, there are some train stations notorious of pick-pockets and muggers. I was mugged and injured inside train station in Madrid two years ago. My sister was almost robbed inside ticket office in HS station in The Hague last March. You just have to be extra alert in those area.