COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Woman alone in London

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Angie

Woman alone in London

I will be alone in London for a week, and am looking for place to eat that really appeals to women. Light food, lots of salads, good desserts, beautiful and/or interesting interior, and that won't be expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 03:20 AM
Jean

There is a lovely restaurant upstairs in Harrods that even has live music. I think you will love it.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Simone

Try the cafes and restaurants at the museums and art galleries. You can eat an early dinner and then spend your food money on the theatre instead.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:24 AM
elvira

Harvey Nich's has a chi-chi restaurant upstairs (riiiiight next to their gourmet food shop; veeeery dangerous)with very good food.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:42 AM
moira

I spent a week in London on my own recently and had a ball. If you plan to attend evening theatre (or even if you don't), make a pre-theatre dinner reservation at the acclaimed Criterion Restaurant in Picadilly Circus. It's prix-fixe, inexpensive meal (17 pounds for a deluxe 4 course meal) in exquisite surroundings. There were a number of other single diners there and the food and service were outstanding.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:55 AM
janis

I secomd the suggestions re the cafes and restaurants in museums and galleries. Most have good food, and some have extra bonuses of wonderful views or surroundings.

My favs are - at the Globe Theatre - two restaurants with views of the river, The National Portrait Gallery - rooftop cafe with views of Whithall and Big Ben, The cafes in the Great Court of the British Museum, The V&A - nor views but really good food.