Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Without kids-Hooray! Suggestions for what to do...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be visiting London without our three kids next month (work related trip). We have 3 days to do things that we wouldn't necessarily do with the kids. A few years ago we went with our 8 year old and saw kid-friendly things like: The Tower, wax museum, British Museum, etc. But I am wondering if you experienced travelers have some suggestions of things that would be mainly appropriate to adults.

I am planning a day at a museum, a play. Suggestions for which ones? We also never went out to a pub or a nightclub when we were there last so we might try that too.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:56 PM
rex

You should re-post this question, and indicate in the message header that you are asking for info about travels to <i><b>London</b></i>.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:23 AM
ira

Hi F,

Have you looked up London under &quot;Destinations&quot;?

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:38 AM

REX !!!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM
rex

Yes, mucky? You were thiking about making your first useful contribution here, ever?

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:08 AM

OOOOHHH !

Handbags at dawn !!

;-)
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:53 AM

Hello,
My favourite place to visit in London is the extraordinary Sir John Soane's museum (www.soane.org). Doesn't really fit your criterion of &quot;mainly appropriate to adults&quot; as I'm sure kids would love it too, but if you've never been there then it's absolutely worth a visit.
If you like music, how about going to a concert while you're there? Have a look at the listings on www.timeout.com/london for some ideas.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:18 AM
rex

You must be confusing me with someone else. My back ain't broke, and I <i>can</i> quit you.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Sorry Rex, but what does &quot;My back ain't broke, and I can quit you&quot; mean exactly?

It doesn't make much sense.
In fact far less sense than the many message headers you feel the need to correct.

Muck
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Get up early, try the West End Theaters for tickets..no touts! Check the seating. Matinees may be inexpensive. No tickets...Return in the early evening and get in the return ticket line...Maybe, opera? Covent Gardens for local color!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:12 AM

Some suggestions for London without kids:

&gt;&gt;Courtauld Institute Gallery of Art is one of my favorite medium-sized art museums in the city. Like most art museums, it is NOT probably a favorite for 8 year olds.

&gt;Chelsea Physic Garden, if you are there when it is open, is a wonderful small garden to visit. The Chelsea area is great for strolling, shopping, eating, etc.

&gt;Westminster Abbey, even if you've been, but if you did not take time to go on a Vergers tour, is an absolute &quot;must see&quot;.

&gt;Kew Botanic Gardens, a 30 minute train ride from central London, is a gardener's delight.

&gt;for pubs, check out a book like the Good Pub Guide, or a website liek www.pubs.com You might want to consider eating at a &quot;gastro-pub&quot;...one that specializes in food as well as drink

Have a great trip

Dave White
mail#OnOurOwnInLondon.com