Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

With three full days in Vienna, would you do a daytrip to Bratislava?

Nov 11th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Next week, I'll arrive in Vienna the night of the 19th, and leave early on the 23rd. I'm thinking of taking the hydrofoil to Bratislava on the 21st, and taking the train back to Vienna that evening.

With this being my first visit to Vienna, would you suggest I take the time to visit Bratislava? I know there is an incredible amount to see in Vienna.
Nov 11th, 2008, 02:22 AM

Herself and I did it as one day out of a trip in November. I suggest that you strike it from your plans because:
1. The hydrofoil trip is not very interesting, particularly in winter;
2. You can't predict the weather;
3. There is so much to see and do in Vienna that you might end up kicking yourself.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35154878
Nov 11th, 2008, 02:49 AM

It's very easy and cheap to get to Bratislava on the train, but I have to confess that I went that way only to get further east. I didn't stop in Bratislava.

It was my first visit to Vienna and I only had one day. Have to say it didn't grab me like so many other European cities, but on balance I'm sure if I'd stayed longer I'd have learned to love it. Plenty of wonderful museums and galleries, but if that sort of stuff is not your bag, then maybe you should take that day trip.

Cheers.

Nov 11th, 2008, 03:01 AM

We have been in Vienna many times. Last time we had 6 days and I asked the same question you did. Answers were a bit more encouraging than when I first started to think about doing this about 20 years ago, but still not convincingly in favor of taking one day out of 6 so I can't imagine doing so when you only have three to start with. BTW we found plenty to do in Vienna to occupy us for the full 6 days and even saw some new things we'd not seen in our various previous trips. It's a wonderful city. Enjoy.
Nov 11th, 2008, 03:22 AM

I had four days in Vienna last July. I had made plans for the day trip to Brastislava but didn't end up doing it. I liked Vienna more than I expected I would and so decided to stay there. I would have liked to see Bratislava but you can't do everything, I'll just have to go back. You don't have to decide on this ahead of time. Wait till you get there and see how it goes.
Nov 11th, 2008, 04:56 AM

If you have friends in Bratislava then it is worth going otherwise no no no no no.
Nov 11th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Melk would be a great day trip. The abbey is beautiful. A round trip train ticket is not too expensive.

We were sold a Kombo ticket for the train and boat trip from Vienna to Melk the 29th of September, only to find out that the last boat from Melk left at 1:30Pm starting 9/28. So don't plan on taking a boat ride on the Danube unless you are sure of times etc.

Nov 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM

We were in Vienna last December for a three night stay. We considered doing the same side trip, and were advised by folks at Fodors to concentrate on Vienna alone as it has more than enough to do for three full days.

We were glad we took their advice. We found Vienna to be absolutely delightful, very beautiful, and had no difficulty filling three full days.

Heck, just hanging out in coffee shops and eating pastries took a full day in itself!
Nov 11th, 2008, 07:11 AM

We will be spending 3 days in Vienna in early December, and I can't imagine wanting to take a day trip anywhere that would diminish the limited time I'll have in the city itself. I'm predicting each day will be pretty jam packed with stuff to see and do!!
Nov 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM

I would not do a day trip to Bratislava from Vienna, especially if you only have 3-4 days. There's a ton of good stuff to see and experience in Vienna.
Nov 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM
DAX

Judging by how much you enjoy Germany, you'll enjoy Vienna. It's a different take on the same culture. It's a rich city with tons of culture, museums & palaces. Food is really really good in Vienna. I've planned to visit Bratislava from Vienna on my last two trips there but cancelled it once I was in Vienna. Have a great winter trip!
Nov 12th, 2008, 03:07 AM

Maybe Bratislava was closed the day I was there. Maybe there really is no there, there anyway.

But unless you had business or friends there, there was really only ever one argument for visiting the place from Vienna: getting a Czech or Slovak stamp on your passport.

Since Slovakia joined Schengen at the end of last year, even that doesn't apply any more. There's no shortage of things worth seeing around Vienna. Bratislava honestly isn't one of them. Think Bootle, Lancs, without the charm.
Nov 12th, 2008, 04:04 AM

Dear Will --

I've spent a very rainy 3 days and nights in Bratislava, which perhaps colors my opinion slightly, but I agree with most other posters that the day trip from Vienna wouldn't really be worthwhile. (I did it the other day -- took a day trip from Bratislava to Vienna!) The Old Town of Bratislava is extremely compact and there is not all that much to see and do. However, Bratislava is extremely inexpensive compared to most other European cities. I did some very worthwhile souvenir shopping when I visited. (Crystal, antiques, painted eggs, amber ...)

Have a wonderful trip!
Nov 12th, 2008, 06:00 AM

I took the day trip from Vienna to Bratislava...and agree with other posters---I'd give it a pass if I was to take the trip again.