Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   With all the choices, do you ever have a difficult time planning your next European vacation? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/with-all-the-choices-do-you-ever-have-a-difficult-time-planning-your-next-european-vacation-442889/)

tcreath Jun 16th, 2004 06:56 AM

With all the choices, do you ever have a difficult time planning your next European vacation?

My husband and I love to travel and have a particular fascination with Europe. We have been to Europe twice, once to England and Wales, and the other to Austria, Italy and Germany. We are in the process of planning our vacation for next year and are definitely going to Europe, but we get overwhelmed by all the places we want to visit and trying to narrow it down is very hard. For our last trip (Italy/Germ/Austria) we had such a hard time even planning the trip and changed our minds probably 50 times before we finally decided on what to do. We are having a similar problem this time. We think we have a few places in mind, but then we will get a magazine or see a picture or read a post here and rethink our decision! Since we've been thinking about next years' vacation, so far we came up with 1)Mediterranean cruise, 2) Greece/Turkey (not a cruise), 3) Switzerland/Germany (BO and the Romantic Road), 4) Venice, Como area and the CT. Its insane! And we received our Budget Traveler magazine yesterday and thought that the Provence area looked gorgeous so thats on our consideration list too!

We are both young (mid-20's) so we try to plan our trips with the understanding that there will be plenty more trips to Europe, but that somehow doesn't make it any easier. Don't get me wrong; we have a blast planning our trip but it definitely gets overwhelming. I hope we aren't the only people like this!

Tracy

Statia Jun 16th, 2004 07:01 AM

One method I've devised is to just try and work my way across my atlas....literally.

kaudrey Jun 16th, 2004 07:12 AM

Tracy - don't worry, you are not the only one.

I keep files on places that I'd like to visit sooner rather than later. Right now I have information on Croatia, Poland/Slovakia/Hungary, and Sicily, as well as Costa Rica.

In addition, I am going to San Francisco and Arizona in the fall, a girlfriend of mine asked me last week if I would want to go to Rio de Janiero this winter, and when the project I am on is done (fall 2005), I am contemplating a month-long trip to Australia or New Zealand.

These are just the things I want to do in the next 2 or 3 years - so don't even get me starting on that African Safari, Thailand, Fiji, etc... :D

Karen

tcreath Jun 16th, 2004 07:26 AM

Karen, that is a great idea! And I'm with you...I didn't even mention our previous thoughts of visiting Australia/New Zealand, and Hong Kong! I think a filing system with cut-out articles, pictures, printed posts, etc. would probably help a lot. Thanks for the tip!

And Statia, thanks for your advice as well! A good idea, although I am worried that looking at a map with all the countries may trigger more places that I haven't even thought of! :)

Tracy

rj007 Jun 16th, 2004 07:54 AM

Tracy

I have the same problem. After 9 trips to Europe I feel as if there is so much I haven't seen yet. I am going again in Nov and that trip will give me enough FF miles to go to New Zealand for free next spring.

Budget Travel magazine has given me some great ideas over the years. You and your husband have one major advantage - you're still young! Use that list as a jumping off point to see Europe and the world. I'm setting up travel plans for the next 2 years. Of course, one great benefit in Europe are the budget airlines. I just finished 3 visits to Europe in 5 months and one of the trips I took London to Rome on Ryan Air - total cost 38 GBP.

A book I would recommend is by Patricia Schultz - 1,000 Places to See Before you Die. She has nice writeups on the places and gives the best time of the year to visit.

Enjoy your travels!

Bob

bobthenavigator Jun 16th, 2004 12:49 PM

I seldom have that problem since I make a list years in advance and then execute. Twenty year ago I made a list of " must see" destinations in Europe and knocked them off one at a time. As I read & experienced more I kept adding to that list. Now, after 22 trips to Europe--12 of those to Italy, I am just now beginning to feel constrained. My next trips will be Sicily and then Scotland. After that I may need some help.