Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > With 4-5 days to spend what you suggest we see/do in Provence?
Notices

With 4-5 days to spend what you suggest we see/do in Provence?

Oct 28th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

With 4-5 days to spend what you suggest we see/do in Provence?

I would also like to see Eze or some of the perched villages. Do we have enough time to do that? Should we fly into Nice,, Marseilles or Paris and take the train? We will be arriving from Charlotte or Atlanta. Thanks.
Oct 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM

Eze is kind of far away from Marseille or the area of Provence near Avignon/Aix/Luberon. It would go with Nice, however.

If you go right to some city/town close to those areas, I think you certainly have enough time to see some perched villages in 4 days, why ever not? YOu can take the train from Paris, depends on your schedule. I think it's only about 3 hrs from CDG to Avignon.

I think maybe you need to decide which part you want to see, the area around Nice or more to the NW between Avignon and Aix. Because I do think 4 days is not enough to see everything and there is enough travel time between the two areas that it isn't that feasible in your short time frame.

If you want to rent a car, you can fly into Marseille, pick up the car and drive somewhere to stay, I've done that. It is fairly simple because the MRS airport is outside the city a ways so you don't really fool with Marseille itself and its traffic. I drove from there to Aix. Or you can take the train to Avignon and still rent a car but I think more time will elapse and it will be later in the day when you do that, which may not be optimal, especially after such a long flight.
Oct 28th, 2011, 09:37 PM

You seem to be focused on the Cote d'Azur - which is fine. With only 4 days, I would not plan to venture into other areas like the Luberon, Avignon, Aix, etc. There are plenty of "perched villages" on the cote - so just stay there. Fly in/out of Nice of you can.

Four days is a very short time. If you want to experience the perched villages, I would rent a car so that you can go & come on "your" schedule. There are dozens & dozens of interesting perched villges within an hours drive from Nice - which I would recommend as a base.

I could ramble on & on about the perched villages in the Nice/Cote d'Azur region (we've vacationed there for 16+ weeks), but instead e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach my 27 page Cote d'Azur & Provence itinerary to the reply e-mail. I've sent it to over 2,000 people on Fodors.

Stu Dudley

Search this Thread