Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

With 3.5 days in Madrid, which days to do what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Madrid saturday morning April 3rd (very jetlagged I'm sure). We will be leaving Wed. morning April 7th (heading to London). We'd like to do as much of the highlights as possible (Prado, Reina Sofia, Thyssen, Palacio Real, Parque del Retiro, Casa de America). We'd also like to spend a day in Toledo. We'll be with a 13 & 15 year old who have a limited attention spans for art museums so we will focus on specific areas of the museums (based on family input) and not try to see everything. What is the best day to go to Toledo? Are the Madrid museums very crowded on the weekends? What time is best (mornings, late afternoons)?

None of us have been to Spain and we realize this will just wet our appetite. We all speak varying degrees of Spanish and plan on using as much of it as we can.

Also, any great places to shop for no overly expensive leather goods (handbags, shoes)?

Thanks
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:19 AM

You will need to prioritize what you want to do.

Some of the museums listed take a "short" time to see...some longer.

Check for the special exhibits, their websites, and then decide.

Toledo is very special. Will you have a car?

Happy Planning,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

No car. I anticiapte taking a bus.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

I do plan on prioritizing but really wanted to know if there are certain days and times I should avoid or visit. I checked the schedules and am aware of what's opened or closed on monday or tuesdays.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Then I would really say that we experienced no "bad" time to visit the museums.

We hit them all at various times and were just fine.

If you are taking the bus get the times and the details for what exactly you will get to see.

Have fun~
Oaktown Traveler
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:19 AM

MFNYC,
The 3 art museums can be very crowded on Sat./Sun. but the afternoons are easier than the mornings. The Prado is now open on Sun. til 7 p.m., which helps. The Prado is free on Sundays, which just adds to the crowds.
Toledo gets very crowded on wkds.

I suggest you take a walk in Old Madrid on Sat. to wake up, walk off some of the jet lag, and not try to concentrate on one of the 3 big art museums that day. You could also take hop on/hop off Madrid Vision bus to see some of the sights and get your bearings. If you have the stamina, you could try a tour of the Palacio Real, with guide or not, which doesn't take as much concentration or time as the 3 great art museums.

On Sunday morning, you could visit the Casa de America which just doesn't get the crowds the other museums attract.
On Sun. afternoon you could try for the Prado OR Thyssen, but after 2. The Thyssen is easier, quicker and more comfortable to tour, and it has modern art which may have a greater appeal to your teens.
Teens, by the way, seem to love the Picasso, Miro, Juan Gris and Dali rooms of the Reina Sofia.

On Monday, when the Prado is closed, you could visit the Reina Sofia, which is open Sundays from 10-9. And the Parque del Retiro is very lively on Sundays.

Because Toledo requires some stamina-lots of walking, steep and narrow maze-like streets, art treasures everywhere, the cathedral takes quite a while,
I'd leave it until later, when you've worked off your jet lag. A few sights are closed in Toledo on Mon., so you might want to leave it until Tues.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:21 AM

MFNYC - I did the same thing.

I went to Toledo on Sunday after arriving on Saturday. Everything was open (except the Alcazar which is closed for renovations anyway). The bus is really easy to use to get to Toledo.

According to my notes from my trip last month, the Prado, Thyssen, and Palacio Real are closed on Monday, so do those Saturday or Tuesday. Reina Sofia is closed on Tuesday, so do that Monday. I don't know about Casa de America, I didn't go there.

For the rest of the time, walk around Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, Cava Baja, the park etc. There's lots to do. The Convento de Descales is a fun stop as well.

If you click on my name and look through my posts, you'll find my trip report from a few weeks ago.

Have fun!
Karen
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all!

Funny, I always figured morning would be less crowded than afternoons!

I have my city map, my guide book, Maribel's great file and notes I've taken from here so I think I'm in pretty good shape. We are city people and are used to walking and crowds. I know I'm not going to see everything I want to see (I never do), but I like to have some kind of a game plan.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 02:45 AM

Last year I went direclty to Toledo from the airport (Early am arrival), and spent the night at Hostal del Cardenal, then the next day bus to Madrid at about 12:30. You will have the time to see the sights in Toledo, walk around the city, and be there when it is most enchanting without too many tourists at night. Be sure to go to the Parador just before sunset. You will also have time for "jet lag" napping. I rented a car from Barajas and returned it in Toledo. It was a one day rental from Hertz.One day, one way rentals are not easy to find. I was there within 2 hours of landing,an easy drive. I drove up to the Parador and returned the car early the following morning. You can also take the bus, but I think you would have to go into Madrid.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

From looking over everything, we'll probably do something like this:
Arrive saturday morning (our flt gets in at 7:15am). I will contact the hotel, Carlos V, a few days in advance to see if they will let us check in early, or at least check our bags. We'll have a good breakfast, walk around the area and check out some of the outdoor sights, rest mid-day, maybe venture out in the evening to another neighborhood (maybe something less touristy, any suggestions??) to explore and have dinner.
SUnday we'll hit the Prado and Thyssen with a break in between relaxing in Retiro park and lunch in the area. Monday we'll start out at the Palacio Real and work our way over to Reina Sofia, possibly with a rest back at the hotel in between (travelling with kids, we need rests and the Reina is opened until 9pm). We will probably also stop in Antocha station to pay our respects (being downtown NYCers, we certainly appreciated when others paid their respects at the WTC site).
Tuesday we'll go to Toledo by bus and will take Spainfan's suggestion, visit the parador around sunset (someone else also also told us this is a must!). Out concentration there will be the jewish quarter. We'll return in the evening, freshen up and have dinner back in Madrid.
Wed we're off to London.
Any free time we have in between will be for a little shopping and more exploring. We'll see how our energy levels hold up!
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 06:15 AM

We were there in October wit our 11-year-old. Do a search for "Mr. Go's Spain trip report" for details.

Don't miss the Prado, Palacio Real and Retiro. But the most memorable times we had were just wandering and hanging out around the Plaza Santa Ana and that whole area.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:35 AM

MFNYC:

Sounds like a dream...

If you need some reading for the plane pull up and print out my 2.5 month Trip Report for Spain and More.

It is in 8 parts..my computer skills are nill so, just click on my name if you wish.

[MFNYC ONLY: PLEASE...A click of my name will also pull up a post titled: A Heartfelt Message for Spain. If you are in a printing mood, could you print that thread and leave it at the memorial at the train station near the Prado? If you do not want to I understand. No worries.]

Happy Travels,
Oaktown Traveler

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Will do (if I remember) Oakland Traveller. I did see your post yesterday.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:49 AM

MFNYC,
That sounds like a very wise plan to me. If you'd like a less "touristy" neighborhood for your walk on the first day, I suggest you walk around the Barrio de Salamanca, starting on the corner of Serrano and Ortega & Gasset, walk up to the corner of Velazquez, turn right, walk down Velazquez to the corner of Goya, turn right on Goya, down to Serrano, then right on Serrano. This will give you a little tour of this tony shopping and residential district. There's a smaller, boutique El Corte Ingles department store (only 3 floors) on Calle Serrano, up near the American Embassy that's open late.
For dinner, if you have my Madrid notes, there are several places in this neighborhood I like, like "Lago de Sanabria" (nice, small, reasonable), "Brasserie de Lista" (like a French bistro), "La Trainera" (seafood) or "Alkalde" (Basque), depending on how hungry you are and what you and your kids are in the mood for. There's also a VIPs on Serrano. Or just have tapas around 9.

While in Toledo, I agree that a trip up to the Parador at sunset is really a must. We stayed there last Palm Sunday, and the views are just spectacular. Well worth the 5 euro taxi fare to and fro. The same view of the city from which El Greco painted his "Vista de Toledo".

Have a great time!

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 09:51 AM

MFNYC:

My thanks either way.(BIG SMILE)

God Bless You!

Oaktown Traveler
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Just 1 more question, I'm assuming that bus is the way to go right now to Toledo. Even before the 3/11 tragedy, there was mention of rail work affecting train travel to Toledo. Am I correct to go for the bus? I've read the buses run every 1/2 hour. Are some local and some express? Where (website) can I check out a schedule?
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:59 AM

We drove.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 01:58 PM

There are a few express buses each day. 55 minutes. Otherwise about 1 1/4 hours. The bus station in Toledo is also more convenient than the train station. The drive is also easy, but not worth it if you are going back to Madrid.

If to and from Madrid...take the bus.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

We're nack and had a great trip, loved Madrid and look forward to returning to Spain sometime in the future. Thank all of you for prociding all this useful info. For more info on our trip see:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34490883
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

That should be, we're back, not nack.