Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   wisdom of Renfre pass (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wisdom-of-renfre-pass-1278688/)

lauramsgarden Apr 17th, 2017 06:28 PM

wisdom of Renfre pass

I'm looking at the train passes - it looks like the smallest number of trips that it covers is 4. We are definitely planning 3:
Madrid - Cordoba
Sevilla - Granada
Barcelona - Madrid

we might take a day trip Madrid to Toledo but that depends on how we are feeling once in Madrid. Do you think it would be worth it to get the pass or would it be a wash? and does it add complication or make train travel easier (or neither). thanks

Robert2016 Apr 18th, 2017 10:32 AM

If you were to purchase a rail pass, you will still need to reserve a seat on the AVE long and medium distance trains in advance, which means you have to do it online or at the station a day or so ahead of when you'd like to travel.

It works if you are going to be somewhere for awhile and have a flexable schedule.

You might also find that some of the discounted fares are less expensive then the rail pass, making planning ahead worth the effort.

PalenQ Apr 18th, 2017 11:46 AM

And Seville-Granada could be quicker by bus - and dirt cheap. Not enough train trips unless you want to be flexible and chose which trains to take once there - full-fare prices are very high- for lots of info on trains and passes- www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Christina Apr 18th, 2017 12:13 PM

Yeah, I agree, the pass is more expensive than the single tickets unless you don't want to buy in advance. And then you have to go to a station to reserve seats, you can't do it online, what a pain. Madrid to Toledo is really cheap if you go by bus, anyway, that's how I went and it stops closer to the town and takes about the same time as the train, but is only about 10 euro. Buses leave from Plaza Eliptica. I just bought a ticket the day I went. I think the train can be more like 50-70 euro.

If you only did the other 3 trips, you could buy advance tickets for only about 150 euro or less.

But if you don't want to buy train tickets in advance, it might make sense and you'll just take whatever seats are available when you go, but you'll still have to fool around with going to the window to do that.

I also agree that you might go to Granada by bus, which you have to do part way, anyway.

lauramsgarden Apr 18th, 2017 06:35 PM

so I am puzzled (and thank you for the suggestions) - when I go to the renfre site there seem to be at least 4 trains a day from Sevilla to Granada that take about 3.5 hours and cost 22.6 euros - am I not understanding the site correctly? https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do?c=_05Xw

Robert2016 Apr 19th, 2017 06:48 AM

I can see why you're puzzled. Renfe is now showing the MD train running between Sevilla-Santa Justa and Granada, 4/day. They must have finally reopened the track, only 14 months behind schedule.

The MD is rather slow at 3hr 27min, making 8 stops before reaching Granada. The cost this morning is showing at 30,15€, one-way.

They also show that they are now issuing their own Amex cards. Interesting!

lauramsgarden Apr 19th, 2017 07:02 AM

so Robert, sounds like you are still encouraging the bus instead - how is it in terms of cost, comfort, bathroom accessibility? thanks

PalenQ Apr 19th, 2017 09:33 AM

The buses I've ridden are very modern and comfy and easy access to WC- and they make pit stops.

But as always IMO trains are infinitely more comfy than buses.

Robert2016 Apr 19th, 2017 11:44 AM

In this case the bus will be quicker, and with only 4 trains/day, you should have more options. It will all change when they finally complete the high-speed line and get the AVANT going.

lauramsgarden Apr 19th, 2017 06:56 PM

does one need to get bus tickets in adavance?

Robert2016 Apr 19th, 2017 07:49 PM

A week or so should be fine, but it always depends on the time of year and what's going on.

Robert2016 Apr 19th, 2017 09:01 PM

Just checked Renfe. The route is still a combination train-bus.

indyhiker Apr 20th, 2017 03:02 AM

We bought our ALSA ticket (Cordoba to Granada) a few weeks in advance. The bus was full. Granted, our route was about 2 hours, but the bus did not have a toilet and it did not stop for a pit stop. I would hope that some accommodation is made on the drive between Seville and Granada. The bus was very comfortable as buses go.

We did the bus/train combo between Granada and Madrid. Renfe has it coordinated very well.

PalenQ Apr 20th, 2017 10:42 AM

No toilet no pit stop - not for me.

indyhiker Apr 20th, 2017 11:15 AM

@lauramsgarden, this thread is a couple of years old, but it might provide you with some additional details re: the bus and comfort re: a WC on board:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Andalucia.html

For me, this would strictly come down to price and schedule. Having done the train/bus combo myself--albeit on a different route--it was really not a big deal, as Renfe has it well organized. But the ALSA bus was also comfortable and easy. I don't think you can go terribly wrong. If you decide on the bus tickets and book directly with ALSA, you have to use Paypal instead of a CC (assuming you're in the US).

lauramsgarden Apr 21st, 2017 07:54 AM

thanks - this is most helpful