Winter Olympics in Italy

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:51 PM
ann

Winter Olympics in Italy

I had so much fun watching the winter olympics this year, that I would actually like to plan a trip to Italy (too bad its 4 years away)to enjoy the winter games.
I cannot remember what northern town it is in. If someone knows anything about this area I would love to hear from you. and maybe other area attractions w/in 3-4 hours.
Thanks

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Dayle

Hi Ann! the 2006 Games will be held in Torino, Italy. The apline events will be held in the Alps at Sestiere and another town with a name that starts with B.....check the web site at www.torino2006.it I'm thinking about going too! Our Games in SLC were fantastic!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Sue

They're in Turin (or Torino, in Italy), which is less than 2 hrs. away from Milan. Turin is only about 75 mi. away from the picturesque French town of Briancon, in the Fr. Alpes.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Melody

to the top -
Has anyone attended an olympics out of the country? And how dificult is it to get a hotel, tickets to events,etc...

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Dayle

Hi Melody! I only attended the Olympics here at home in Utah, but based on how it went here - you should be able to get hotels & tickets of choice if you get them as soon as they are available. SLOC started selling tickets on the internet 16 months before the 2002 Games. My friends & I got a good percentage of what we asked for by buying early. However, you could always get tickets for events at the last minute if you were willing to go through a broker or take your chances with a scalper in the parking lot. My understanding is that every Olympics, summer & winter, has that same ticket situation. Hotels seem to book up early because sponsors & technical people (Coke, NBC, BofA, etc.) need hotel type accomodations for their people - and there are a LOT of them. As the Games get closer, some of these rooms open up when the sponsors & corps release them. Condos, B&Bs seem easier to get.

The main thing will be your willingness to plan & commit ($$) far ahead. Keep posted on when tickets go on sale, etc. & bookmark the web site!

Buon viaggio! Maybe I'll see you there...