Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Winter in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/winter-in-paris-1027984/)

amiejamie Oct 17th, 2014 05:54 AM

Winter in Paris

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are going to be in Paris in early-mid January for anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks (we are still early planning). We are both in our early 30's and I am trying to get some ideas of fun things to do -- after we do all of the usual site seeing. (Eiffel tower, Versailles, Louvre, ect).

I have read that Moulin Rouge is a tourist trap - any other better shows or should that general type of thing be totally avoided?

Huggy Oct 17th, 2014 06:03 AM

I confess, I took a business group to either the Follies or the Moulin in about 1983. Cannot remember which as I now consider that a waste of time and money. I'd recommend you spend your time and money in a different manner. Skip it.

kerouac Oct 17th, 2014 06:15 AM

People either love those shows or hate them, but they generally appeal to 1) older people and 2) people from countries where breasts are rarely or never displayed. Therefore, the Chinese are currently the biggest group attending those shows, along with people from the Middle East, but also plenty of "small town" tourists from just about anywhere. When you spend your life milking cows or slopping the hogs, seeing a show like that is a dazzling experience, so I would never criticize anyone with the desire to go.

StuDudley Oct 17th, 2014 08:08 AM

Winter is our favorite time of year in Paris. Fewer tourists & the leaves are off the trees & it's easier to view/photograph the wonderful architecture.

Ideas:
- Get the #2 Metro map and take buses everywhere. Avoid the underground Metro - you can't see much of Paris from the underground. We'll often "map out" a connection of buses that take us in a circular route through various neighborhoods in Paris. If something looks interesting - we'll get off the bus & explore it on foot. Of course, you'll need a weekly transit pass. The #52 bus which you can pick up at the Garnier Opera is one of our favorites.

- Get a copy of "Walking Paris" by Gilles Desmons & do some of the walks in the book.
http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Paris-...+paris+desmons

- Take several guided tours from Paris Walks.
http://www.paris-walks.com/

- Get a copy of "The Brasseries of Paris" by Francois Thomazeau and have lunch at anyplace that looks interesting. We like La Fermette Marbeuf and Julien.
http://www.amazon.com/Brasseries-Par...eries+of+Paris

- Explore the dozen or so "passages".
http://www.francetoday.com/articles/..._passages.html

- Rent an apt that has cooking facilities. Go to markets and other places where you can buy a roasted chicken or other "half-prepared" dinner items.

Stu Dudley

Christina Oct 17th, 2014 08:41 AM

You can get an idea of exactly what it is, it doesn't matter what others think. Is that the kind of thing you like to go to, or not? That's all that matters. And what other kind of show would you even mean as a substitute? There isn't anything else like that in Paris, what kind of show would you want? If you like going to Las Vegas shows, you might like it. It's something to do. I would go as a goof, if nothing else, if it weren't so expensive.

amiejamie Oct 17th, 2014 08:50 AM

I was trying to get some ideas of some fun night activities that are a little more involved/entertaining than just going to dinner, or having a drink at a bar.

nytraveler Oct 17th, 2014 09:27 AM

Paris has a wonderful opera, ballet, many symphonic events as well as a ton of clubs wiht all sorts of music from traditional french through jazz to everything you can think of. Pari also often has themed film festivals with classics of all types - do check this out since many are films rarely seen in the US.

I wouldn;t touch Moulin Rouge with a barge pole - like a tacky 1960s vegas show.

denisea Oct 17th, 2014 05:27 PM

The Crazy a Horse and Moulin Rouge are not my idea of fun. Many of the churches offer concerts and Ste Chapelle is a great venue for a concert. Opera Garnier is gorgeous, maybe a performance there would interest you. A ride on the Seine with the monuments lit up would also be a good IDE....before or after dinner. I am usually so happy to be in a Paris that everything is special to me.

DebitNM Oct 18th, 2014 04:43 AM

There is a great, tiny jazz club at 38 Rue de Rivoli, www.38riv.c9m

mamcalice Oct 18th, 2014 06:51 AM

We just spent 2 weeks in Paris - my 9th trip. Denise beat me to it but I was going to suggest the things she mentioned. We did all of them in addition to a concert at the Madeline. There are posters all over Paris with suggestions for entertainment, concerts, operas, etc.

Two weeks sounds like a long time but we didn't get to many of the things we had planned. It was my 4th trip in a row to miss Versailles but we took other day trips includiing Fountainbleau, Chartres and Giverny (not open in winter).

There is plenty to do whether you stay 3 days or 2 weeks. (just a heads up - cities are much easier in winter than the countryside).

KTtravel Oct 18th, 2014 08:21 AM

We recently enjoyed an evening concert in Sainte-Chapelle and attending the ballet at the Palais Garnier.

lanejohann Oct 19th, 2014 07:55 PM

We stayed nine days in Paris in jan this year
Stayed near les invalides so could walk to lots of sights

Wig loved the markets up in mont martre

We visited the louvre..stayed Seven hours lol
Out to Versailles ..no crowds..stayed all day did the whole bit quite thoroughly from a tourists perspective lol
Caught a train both ways

Went out to st Denis to visit the cathedral ...place of burial for all kings and queens
Including Marie Antoinette and her son ( at least his poor lil heart was on display... :(. )

Had a look at the museum Dorsay but missed lorangerie..had had enough of museums and art galleries by that stage

Saw a movie in English lol the book thief...on champs elyssee

Didn't climb the Eiffel
Ate breaky in pastry shops

I'd go again fin winter..not so much to Paris again but certainly a city vacation is great in winter

lanejohann Oct 19th, 2014 08:00 PM

Oh we took a day trip out to Bruges
Never again
Bruges was great but the driving in a small people mover was terrifying... I knew that if we clipped anything we wouldn't crashwe'd explode lol
The driver said roads in France a great
Don't care bout the roads

It's the driversI worry about lol I took a pic of the speedometer at 140 km!
We coulda made it to the moon and back by dinner I reckon lol

The other passengers didn't wear a seat belt
They were from Turkey. And Tunisia
Maybe it just felt normal after what they're used to back home.. Don't know

We cancelled our trip to Loire valley the next day..same company...didn't want the white knuckle drive there and back

amiejamie Oct 21st, 2014 04:30 AM

Thanks so much for all the ideas! You have all been a lot of help!