Reload this Page >

Winter in Germany/Western Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 09:12 AM
mic

Hi, <BR>We have from Dec20-Jan1 to take a trip to Germany(Frankfurt). We'd like to rent a car & drive around to other cities in Germany & to other countries (Switzeland, Austria). <BR>We'd like to plan our trip so that we'll stop by my sister in Toulouse, France for NewYear's eve. <BR>1. How is the driving conditions in winter time in these countries/highway ? Is it better to take public transportation ? <BR> <BR>2. Where, What to see/do if we want to get a sample of each country ? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Shanna

1. possible - probably? - snow, ice, fog outside big cities, but manageable by car within cities - only who wants to do that when public transportation will do. Know nothing about public transportation between cities. Daylight for about 8 hours only, so driving can be scary in the dark. <BR>2. Rothenburg - pedestrian city and so darned cute! Go the Christmas Markets in every city. Eat bratwurst and drink Gluhwine (hot mulled red wine - no punch, the alcohol is gone, but so yummy and warming). Strausberg (sp?) Austria was pretty impressive. I believe that's where the unusual cemetery is. Oh, jeez, have fun; I'm drooling.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 10:22 AM
Shanna

whoops - Salzburg, not Strassberg - I need a map!

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Bob

We have done Germany many times at Thanksgiving and early December. You will run into a few tricky driving conditions and some mountain roads will be closed, but all in all, it is doable and fun. <BR> <BR>Itinerary to consider. Arrive Frankfurt and drive to Heidelberg for first night.(short drive, after long flight) See castle and old town. Then head to Rothenburg and stay 2 nights. Explore the area and town. You can park the car and walk for 2 days. Then drive the Romantic Road south to Garmisch. Stop along the way. Visit the Garmisch area for 3 nights. See Oberammergau, Linderhof, Ettal Abbey, Neuschwanstein, Innsbruck (time permitting) Zugspitz, etc. Great area. Then head over to Berchtesgaden if you have time and do not need to get to France. This is another scenic area and beautiful in the snow. You can even stay in Berchtesgaden and easily drive into Salzburg....another beautiful town. <BR> <BR>Hope these few ideas help. We always drive, so I know very little about the trains. We have always felt that a car gives you access to the small towns and fun stopping points that a train cannot do. Plus, you waste time at train stations waiting for trains and loading your gear on. German roads are some of the best, so take advantage of them.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 04:43 AM
Russ

I have driven Germany on several occasions and have been a frequent customer of the German train system as well. <BR> <BR>Germany has perhaps the best public transportation system in Europe, if not the world. Unless it lies in truly rugged territory, nearly every town of any size is connected by rail or has a rail station close by. Trains are extremely frequent (every 30-60 minutes for towns on a single route, more frequent for hubs, of course) and stations usually issue pocket schedules for the routes in the area (ask for a "Streckenfahrplan") so that you won't be sitting at a station wondering when the next train comes through. Trains normally drop you right in the middle of the action and stations have numerous resources for helping you find your way around town. There are also day passes that allow you to enjoy regional travel quite cheaply -- Bavaria, the huge state between Frankfurt and Austria which you'll undoubtedly be passing through, has a weekday pass for unlimited travel for up to 5 people for about $18, and on Sat and Sun, there are similar passes good for the whole country. No way car travel beats these prices. <BR> <BR>Unless you have a specific destination in mind that you must see and which you just cannot reach by train, I recommend you have a real vacation -- forego the hassles of negotiating unfamiliar territory, parking, and winter driving, and enjoy the winter scenery and a cup of coffee from your train car window.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 05:04 AM
Paige

I agree completely with Russ about the German train system. There are also buses that go places the trains don't go. One comment, the German rail passes he mentioned are only valid on regional trains, not highspeed trains. The regionals are SE, RE and RB trains if you're looking at a schedule.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 06:29 PM
mic

Thanks everybody for wonderful advices.